The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Won my first set off the Bay. They don’t look like they need much work except a little cleaning. Scales look good and the blades look awesome. Waiting time.

Attached Files:

esvh, Keithmax, deepsea and 6 others like this.
  2. Hammer8

Hammer8 Well-Known Member

90D5485A-7183-40F8-BFFF-1DC7F519979B.jpeg

I picked up my first straight razor!

3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Congrats @Hammer8 ! Herr Aust makes fine raxors.

But please do show us the blade!

Redfish Rick, TestDepth and Karl G like this.
  4. Hammer8

Hammer8 Well-Known Member

FAED961A-184C-4F50-9821-ACA7CE5C8BF2.jpeg D876C589-D270-4377-B869-7898F318CC12.jpeg 6DC304FF-B00C-4DE9-9508-3D5761D5DF5D.jpeg

As you wish! 5/8 round point.

5. Redfish Rick

Redfish Rick Active Member

Fellas I need some help, let me know if I should post this elsewhere.
    Where can I find nice replacement scales and hardware, at a reasonable prices?
    Thanks in advance.
    DJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billyfergie likes this.
  6. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Griffith Shaving Goods also has some supplies.

TestDepth likes this.
  8. Redfish Rick

Redfish Rick Active Member

Thank you gentlemen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TestDepth likes this.
  9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Redfish Rick, TestDepth and Karl G like this.
  10. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Billyfergie, Edison Carter and Karl G like this.
  11. esvh

esvh Well-Known Member

I found this carl friedrich ern. Size is 8/8. It needs a good clean up then it will be a great razor.

[​IMG]

Billyfergie, Keithmax, Karl G and 5 others like this.
  12. TestDepth

An $18 Palmera :)
    7EF789D7-28A1-472A-9390-8E76FC8DE086.jpeg So, not the Juan Vollmer Spanish variety, but a Ferd. Herberz German Palmera.
    2D9D610D-4DB1-4DD9-800D-586988C7D552.jpeg
    A little of the Palm & Pyramid remain on the face, the stamp on the tang, and these seem to be the original scales, with a nice inlay.

I like coming across these slightly different models. This one had a deformed bottom half of the point, seen here.
    B13C1D54-3AE8-4100-A39E-DEAEB46AEAF2.jpeg
    Bothered me enough where the dremel needed to make an appearance... a little more natural curve I think.
    4E11675F-3193-43A9-AEAA-55D8AB5EFE7B.jpeg
    Happy hunting.
    Tom

13. TestDepth

Steve (@Steve56) might find this one interesting... not quite a pure old French razor, but Quebec could work. :)

J. Nixon
    962AE3D6-50D7-4306-B3B0-F6812B4A0DF7.jpeg
    Lovely shape, cool tail, and a neat piece of history. I assume it is a “J” and not an “I” but I can’t find much with a quick search.
    19286F6E-05C3-4598-A66A-0B8F6751B71C.jpeg
    Debating on what to do with the scales, if anything, because I like the aesthetic as is.
    Happy hunting.
    Tom

14. TestDepth

Finally, this pair of razors from London landed.
    William Gay & Son
    419FA530-6E56-45B4-8ABC-AC3A658C12E4.jpeg
    Would I like the scales to be intact? Sure, but these are fine and created a bargain. Razors have that beautiful tang to heel transition and feel great in hand.
    04C59513-9530-42D7-B5D5-A576BF664EDE.jpeg
    Stamps are interesting in that the bottom had no chance of making it on the razor... I think it says 83 Regents St.
    Also the mirror finish shifts to grinding marks, so either an old regrind or just not the greatest original finish.
    Happy hunting.
    Tom

15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Nice scores Tom, The dip-at-toe style generally ended at about the time of the American revolution, so the Nixon is early, and a good acquisition.

16. TestDepth

Thanks Steve... I had a feeling this one might be in contention for my oldest razor.

Billyfergie, esvh and Karl G like this.
  17. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just Pressed the Button on this NOS Factory Fresh.. USSR ZTV Factory "EXTRA" (ЭКСТРА) 1952..Its a Half Hollow 5/8th..Looks as if it was Made this Morning..Just had to have this One..Rare to Find these 50 s Commie Models in this Kinda Nick..Got it for a Great Price.. From the Motherland with Love...:D

Billy..:chores016:

Hammer8, esvh, Redfish Rick and 9 others like this.
  18. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Both these Factory Fresh NOS Razors Arrived Today..A Buffalo Horn Dovo Inox 5/8th..This is an Earlier Out of Production Model.Its a Beautiful Razor.Always Wanted One of these & Dovo Razors Dont Typically Impress Me So Make of that What Ya Will..The C. Myers & Sons Sheffield is a Full 7/8th..Not Including the Spine.It Looks as if it Was Made Just this Morning..I Stole it an All..The Same Company Made KROPP Razors..The Best Genre of Sheffield SR Production,.Grinding & Steel in My Books..:D

Pretty Darn Happy..:git:

Hammer8, esvh, Redfish Rick and 9 others like this.
  19. TestDepth

That C. Myers sure does look like it just came off the grinding wheel! Nice finds... again Billy. :eatdrink047:
    Tom

esvh, Karl G, Steve56 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    :thanks:Tom..Aye..Its Sure Does Look Like it Just Came Off the Grinding Wheel.It was Well Greased as You Can See in the Sellers Pics.. @Karl G Told Me is Was a Dud..Having a Go at Him for Trying to Burst My Bubble..:happy097:

esvh, Keithmax, Steve56 and 6 others like this.