How do you make your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by BlueShaver, Oct 4, 2019.

?

How do you make your coffee?

1. Drip (Percolator)

25 vote(s)
    51.0%
  2. French press (cafetiere )

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Capsule (Nespresso-ish)

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. Espresso machine

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  5. AeroPress

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. Moka Pot

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  7. I drink Instant

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  8. Coffee is for cowboys

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Good to know.

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Funny I've been drinking perc coffee for over 45 years and really never thought of it as bitter. But I suppose my taste buds don't know squat and should be listening to coffee gurus that measure coffee by the grams and degrees. As far as I know stove top percolators work by boiling water ..... water boils at 212 degrees and auto drip works by heating water to boiling point and dripped over grounds. French press uses boiled water for that matter, nearly every way of making coffee uses boiled water.

What on earth ..... why am I wasting my time reading stuff that people spout off as facts and everyone jumps on the band wagon for fear of looking foolish.

If a person knows how to make perk coffee, it taste good ...... if not, it won't.

I know how to make good coffee.

:eatdrink013:

Troy M, DaltonGang and swarden43 like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

@Enrico
    Hear, hear!!

It's your coffee. Enjoy it your way!

Enrico likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I remember going to my grandparents house, and they always had Percolator Coffee. It was strong, smooth, and never bitter. I've also been to other places with percolator coffee, and it also tasted great.
    Some of the worst coffee I've had has been with the Kureg machine. Many times it is weak and bitter tasting.
    The French Press is what I typically prefer. But, I have been giving thought to a good percolator.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  5. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Well, no. By the time water in the drip method actually gets to the grounds it is below 200 degrees F. This was the big deal behind the original Mr. Coffee machines and why they became so popular. The water used in French press coffee carafes is off the boil and the carafe is cold so again substantially below 212 deg. F. The pour over method is similar. Only the percolator is constantly re-boiling and recirculating the coffee over the grounds.

Nevertheless, I agree that you should not read facts-they obviously have no effect on you.

I am sure that your coffee is delicious-enjoy!

6. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

My oldest son had an idea that he would have a career in the coffee industry, more on the supply side than the preparing and serving side. But, he spent several years trying to learn the coffee shop portion of the industry and learned many methods of making coffee and would spend much time trying to help me get a more sophisticated coffee palate and explained "off-gassing" and brewing times and weighing etc. I smiled a lot and encouraged him. Ultimately, he realized it is just coffee and that however people enjoy it is the right way to make coffee.

At my altitude, water boils at around 190 F, not 212, so not sure about all that discussion and the impact it has on coffee. I have a little percolator I take camping, but also have a pour over deal and one of those Italian pot things, which I never use. I mainly prefer black tea.

7. Tedolph

Try the "Italian pot thing" that you never use. If you like strong coffee you will love it!

8. Tedolph

I have never had a good cup of coffee out of a Kureg machine (we had one a work). I don't understand what people like about that thing.

Enrico likes this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011:

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Percolator coffee I've had at my grandparents, car dealers, conferences, was only slightly better than that coming out of the vending machine at college, and only occasionally made tolerable by the presence of glazed donuts. Go Moka.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Troy M and Tedolph like this.
  11. battle.munky

Convenience and consistency. Like a portable Starbucks. It isn't great coffee but you know what you are getting time and again. Unless the water is funky wherever you happen to be it'll be about the same from the same pod flavor out of a Keurig. And a fresh brewed single cup is something of a convenience for sure. I don't have a Keurig machine but use them in almost all hotels I stay in and I travel about 25% so I drink my fair share from them.

Keithmax and Troy M like this.
  12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Fun fact, keurig is the Dutch word for neat (as in not messy).

battle.munky, Troy M and Tedolph like this.
  13. Tedolph

A professional comparison of percolator v. Moka pot (Italian thing) methods:

"While the brewing method matters, it’s really the end result that you’re after. Let’s compare the final mugs of coffee from each device.

• Moka Pot Coffee — An espresso-like coffee beverage that’s rich, concentrated, and can be enjoyed as-is, diluted with hot water, or mixed with steamed milk. If you’re wanting something like home espresso but don’t want to dump lots of money on a fancy machine, this is an excellent way to have a similar (but not quite as intense) experience without breaking the bank.
    • Percolator Coffee — Regular black coffee that can be tailored to your tastes since you can stop the brew at any time. Generally has a noticeable bitterness from the high brewing temperature and is often overly-concentrated from brewing for too long. Still tasty if you can get the hang of stopping it at the right time."

battle.munky likes this.
  14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I used to use a Keurig, until the LED display went nuts and just stored it away. But lately, I've been using this Gevalia, which I got never used in a thrift store, for a total of $3.00. I like how it keeps coffee hot for a good amount of time in it's insulated pot and doesn't burn the coffee as on a regular drip machine....................

IMG_20201121_171623_4.jpg

Enrico, Troy M and battle.munky like this.
  15. 211bma

211bma Active Member

You must own a Starbucks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

battle.munky and Terry like this.
  16. Glondus

Glondus Well-Known Member

french press and V60

17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I thought I would revive this thread.
    A couple of weeks ago, the family and I were in San Antonio, and happened on "The Black Rifle Coffee Company".
    I have watching their videos for a while, thought they were hilarious, so, we went in, to see what was up with the place. The wife and I were very pleased to find the entire staff to be very helpful, attentive, " Clean Looking", polite, and overall pleasant. Being it was St Patrick's Day, we tried their Irish Cream, called "Fool's Gold". I'm not usually a big fan, but, what the heck. They use only a " Pour Over" method, for individual servings of some coffees. Wow!!!! Very very smooth, yet strong flavor. We bought a packet of ground coffee after that. It didnt last two weeks, with the wife using it, every day. I tried it, but it wasnt the same smooth taste.
    The guys at Black Rifle used a Chemex pour-over container. Me, being cheap, wanted to try my hand at the Pour-Over method, and went an inexpensive route, but exact same theory. I bought this Kuisssential Ceramic Coffee Maker, from Amazon.

Exact same flavor(I squirreled away some Irish Cream, from the wife), brewed some coffee, and was hooked on this method. I've since tried several different coffees, and all have never been smoother. The wife even loves it. In the future, I might invest in a Chemex, or similar style, for the convenience of use. The method is far superior to the Frence Press method, I've been using for 25 years.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    analog and Enrico like this.
  18. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Here is my daily: Fresh ground Lavazza brewed in a French Press.
    upload_2022-4-4_10-41-19.png

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just can't get into using a French Press.
    Maybe I'm lazy, but drip works for me.

It's your coffee. Enjoy it your way. :eatdrink013:

battle.munky likes this.
  20. battle.munky

We went to pour over and haven't looked back. I recommend PT's Roastery out of Kansas. Your beans are only a few days roasted when you get them and man are they tasty.

DaltonGang likes this.