May 2021 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion. All are welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Apr 30, 2021.

?

What's your plan for "Mayhem" May?

1. I plan on shaving with a DE blade, duck taped to a popsicle stick.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I plan on shaving with a Bowie Knife.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I plan on shaving with a Stihl chain saw.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. I plan on shaving with a rusty tin can lid.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I plan on NOT contracting tetanus.

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. I plan on eating many cookies.

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  7. I plan on, once again, ignoring stupid polls.

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

Yes sir, I won't forget these memories! These gas "shortages" down here are crazy take care Danny!

2. myles wilson

Thank you Clint! Hope you have been well!

3. myles wilson

A job well done! :happy088: Best of luck to your kid after high school!

4. myles wilson

:thanks: Joseph!

5. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Confused. Serendipity? Not finding this camera app in Apple's iOS app store. Maybe spell check did a number on the app's name? :think002:

Halide is a camera app in the iOS app store, made by Lux Optics, Inc. FWIW, it's an Editor's Choice Awards app.

JACarbone, jtspartan, Hembree and 4 others like this.
  6. HighSpeed

HighSpeed Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Blair. I goofed in a way that wasted your time. I should have said Affinity Photo versus Halide. Fatigue and brain freeze on my part. I have edited my post to correct the mistake, changing "Serendipity" to "Affinity Photo".

JACarbone, Hembree, Trigger and 3 others like this.
  7. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Hi Mike, thanks for the clarification. Looks like Affinity Photo by Serif Labs is an iPad iOS, Mac OS or PC based image/artwork editing app suite (no release for iOS it appears), similar in features to Adobe’s Photoshop/Illustrator workflow (which I’ve used since the late 90s), or also similar to another editing app called Pixelmator (tried off and on since it’s release).

Halide is an image capture app, replacing Apple’s built in iOS or iPad OS Camera App. Halide has no image or graphic art editing capability. It is very specific, offers greater access to the features of the iPhone or iPad’s camera hardware and sensor, to replicate the flexibility of a dSLR with easy access to ISO, Shutter speed, aperture, exposure, and other camera control options including RAW file capabilities. Apple hides most of these options in the iOS and iPad OS Camera apps.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    JACarbone, jtspartan, Hembree and 4 others like this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

\

Guerlain Vetiver, nice! One of my favorites.

Awesome, it must feel good to have that behind you.

9. Keithmax

This weeks straight razor focus is smiling razors.

First up is a 7/8 Riga Razor, it does not look like in the picture but it does have a smile. Riga Razors will take a super sharp edge and hold it for a long time. This razor has a lot of shaves on her and it is time for a touch up, she is only very sharp. That is Platinum Egoist (Chanel) in the background. An excellent shave just whisker short of epic.
    ID - 4.jpeg
    ID - 1 (2).jpeg
    ID - 3.jpeg
    More posting to come later about this pic, waiting for the videos to be delivered.

Wednesday shave: Herr and Razor grinning 6/8. In the bowl is Sterling Electric Sheep, the scent reminds me of the Korean version of OFF but the performance is superb. An epic shave as the edge on this razor is laser sharp yet smooth and lather extra slick. Finished it off with a classic, Dior Eau Sauvage.
    ID - 2 (1).jpeg

brit, b1hart, 9nein9 and 12 others like this.
  10. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Fabulous shave and one beautiful looking brush Clint.

Hembree, clint64 and Trigger like this.
  11. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Excellent MLS selection Troy.

12. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Beautiful shave! Two excellent looking shaving machines Danny. Many more great shaves to come.

13. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Superb shave Joe.

14. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Superb shaves Keith.

15. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I do like the ends being covered.
    Both models do the same.
    Since I don’t currently have a DE blade shavette, I’m really not sure how likely it is to get cut without them.
    All of the Artist Club style blades I’ve used have the ends rounded

16. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Mayhem Williams Shave

Wednesday May 12, 2021
    Razor: Rockwell 6s Plate 5
    Blade: Williams (1)
    Brush: Williams Boar
    Soap: Vintage Williams
    AS 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
    AS 2: Williams Aqua Velva
    Fragrance: Azzaro Visit
    Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 917

IMG_20210511_182001395 (1).jpg
    So some have done their Mayhem Shave on the Shave Den and this is my 1st official one in May. Basically due to the Williams Blade which says the finest surgical steel. I assume it is carbon steel as there was rust visible on the blade although minimal and NOT on the edge from what I could see which looked shiny and sharp (The sharp descriptor proved to be DECEIVING)
    IMG_20210511_181817191 (1).jpg
    IMG_20210511_181830355 (1).jpg
    On to the Williams brush which appears to be a nice boar although on the very small size. Not a problem for me as I feel a small knot can perform just fine for a 3 pass shave. I expected some shedding as it had minimal and by minimal I mean 1 night of a cold water soak for break in. I saw a couple shed hairs after that soak which you could expect and was looking forward to using it.
    IMG_20210512_045629255.jpg
    On to the shave. I loaded the brush with soap and as I was loading the alopecia areata began in earnest but we pressed on while hair where dropping like flies after a gallon of Raid was sprayed on them. Even when I thought I pulled the hair off the brush lather that was loose and off my lathered face I would be shaving and see the hairs collecting on the razor. Here's pass 3 with the Rockwell after a few swipes.
    IMG_20210512_044337293.jpg
    Enough about the brush that was losing hair it couldn't afford too in the 1st place due to size. Let's get to the smooth shave...............stop....rewind.....rephrase. This was NOT a smooth shave. The wtg pass had me thinking that this finest surgical steel required more than the leather hone job and probably why leather honing didn't really catch on. Although rough I thought maybe my 1st pass wtg would strop the blade good on my face and improve. There I go thinking again when I shouldn't. The shave got rougher and while not Graham Field blade rough, I felt I was doing more tugging and pulling out by the roots than cutting hair. I really had second thoughts about finishing the shave with another razor but hey, this is what Mayhem is all about right ?!?! So I soldiered on and did pass 3 as well. Well that's behind us and never to be done again but I didn't feel like I just had a 3 pass shave when surveying the landscape. I thought, well I will have more to shave tomorrow but I just wouldn't be able to endure the day with this bad a shave. Not really a bad shave, but not a successful shave in whisker removal by my standards. So I decided to pull out the Shake Sharp to do pass 4 if I could get a 4th lather out of the amazing shrinking knot. I was able to coax enough lather out and as I did the 1st stroke I swear the heavens parted and I heard singing and joy return to my life. I was able to get the stubble that remained and the boar hairs left behind by the brush as well. Remember this pic is of some strokes on pass 4....
    IMG_20210512_044957350.jpg
    Yep the knot just doesn't want to keep it's hair and I may give it 1 more try before deciding to reknot it as I'd like to keep it stock but it really can't afford to give up much hair as can be seen. Have a great day Everyone !!!!
    IMG_20210512_045622695.jpg

brit, b1hart, JACarbone and 11 others like this.
  17. myles wilson

Thanks Keith!

18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Post o' the month, Dave. :happy096:

19. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

My Dovo shavette only covers the toe area, but my Parker SRB has both ends exposed. Using the latter, I need to be more cognizant on landing and orientating the blade on my face.

20. Keithmax

:rofl: 'strop the blade on my face' :angry017: :happy097: :happy102: Excellent Mayhem shave and commentary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.