Williams User Poll

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by poppi, May 11, 2021.

?

How Often Do You Really Use Williams SS?

1. Daily

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. Multiple Times Weekly

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Weekly

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. Bi Weekly

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Monthly

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. Are you kidding?

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I used this method the other day. But it still didnt work out. The lather looked really nice in the bowl but as soon as i put it on my face it started to disappear. But as usual the slickness was there and why i still keep the soap around.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

i used modern williams exclusively for over 10 years,then i discovered de shaving 4+ years ago and found all these other artisans and stuff.now i rarely use it.i do have vintage williams tonsorial i use on occasion these days as well.:)

Shaver X and Paul Turner like this.
  3. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I use it when I get nostalgic. No problems lathering it and it's as slick as it gets, imo. I could use it daily but I heard the world isn't flat so I ventured out.

PanChango, Shaver X, Troy M and 2 others like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I had to vote "Are you kidding?", because I didn't see any other option. I've used it, but quite rarely.

5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

About the two "bad" reviews-was one of them the one from the youngster who, halfway through it, says "I really don't like this soap"?

brit likes this.
  6. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

I can't remember.

brit and Paul Turner like this.
  7. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

Here are my six minutes before and after pictures,

DSCN1090b.jpg

DSCN1091b.jpg

and the bottom line is I Don't Use Williams.

8. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Six minutes? You are very patient. My daily three pass shave from start to finish takes about that time.

brit, Paul Turner and Tedolph like this.
  9. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Every soap starts out with large bubbles which get smaller as you build the lather. But, I have never used a soap where the bubbles were not gone by a slow count to 45. Six minutes is ridiculous.

brit likes this.
  10. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

This morning's lather with hard water and vintage Williams.

It may not look like it but it was actually a little dry and I needed to dip the brush in the sink water while making application.

008.JPG

11. Jorvaljr

Now that is thick lather!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit, John Beeman and Paul Turner like this.
  12. John Beeman

I don’t even make the attempt with the new stuff but the old pucks work pretty good if I add a little hot water and let it soak while I’m in the shower.

I imagine that used daily it would stay hydrated better.

This thread inspired me to use some today just to see how many minutes it took. The pictured result was after about a minute forty five seconds.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  13. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Ah that looks delicious..:eatdrink013:

brit and John Beeman like this.
  14. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

You know that made me remember when I used my last puck of modern Williams. I was getting over COVID so it was probably about April last year. I was just starting to get my sense of smell back a little and Williams was the only thing I could smell (and just barely) so I used a puck of it.

15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    It does look dry, John, but easily remedied. The vintage soap lathers like nobody's business. :happy088:

Droo78, brit and John Beeman like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    This lathers looks like it has too much air whipped into it. That is what makes Williams (modern) and indeed every soap unstable. If you're going to spend a lot of time creating your lather, spend it on the face rather than in the bowl.

Jorvaljr and brit like this.
  17. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

It does look a bit dry. I've been using Vintage Williams the past couple days and it is easy to have too little water in the mix. It's probably the main difference I see with vintage and modern Williams. I don't think I could get enough soap off the puck of modern Williams to make a dry lather like that.

John Beeman likes this.
  18. John Beeman

I probably gave my brush too much of a shake before starting. When I soak a boar brush and also add water to the top of the puck I generally end up with too much water so this time I must have over compensated.
    I wetted the brush and fixed it on my face. (fixed the lather, not my face)(not that anyone would be confused...)

19. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I didn't complete the poll because my situation didn't quite fit the options. I was a loyal (and I mean loyal) Williams user for over 40 years. I had no problem whipping up a nice lather (new and vintage varieties) and it was inexpensive, and I enjoyed the scent. Then I discovered the shaving forums and online shopping and, the rest is history. I still have a few pucks, new and vintage, and one of these days I will take a stroll down memory lane and 3017 a puck. Great top shelf soap.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  20. Jorvaljr

Sooo I know this thread sort of went off track a little.. lol but after soaking my puck for over 24 hours.. i must admit not bad. The lather was still thinish but it stayed around longer. The slickness is beyond crazy.. and after each rinse my face was slick and i can hand lather it.. but adding water to the brush just made it foam up and so i just shook it out and went back to the puck a little and a slightly thicker lather emerged. Not bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk