SoS: May 2021

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Yehuda D, Apr 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, May 15th, 2021, New razor and just started dialing the Yaqi Excalibur 50mm in, might take a few shaves, I started out with my AC Kai Protouch blade on (8) shave and it indicated dullness so switched to the AC Feather pro(1) and that made a big difference. I did not feel threatened by the sharper blade but it is a very light razor & I was cautious(1st use). It is indicating from just the first shave a <mid range and indicates a great daily driver for some. I cranked out a excellent shave but still dialing the SE Excalibur in what I can & can not do when buffing. The razor finish and tolerances were adequate and did not turn me off the razor at all. It is just a possibly a good entry level razor if someone that is interested in entering the SE AC blade realm of shaving. First time using a Feather Pro & with the new Yaqi Excalibur razor. First impressions so far are positive and it will be used for at least 7 consecutive days with a daily double on Monday because of Micromatic Mondays.

Razor: The new Yaqi Excalibur AC style 50mm razor- MFG 2021>, nice <mid range razor, easy to maneuver around the face and easy going for the first shave. Light weight and I have other very light SE razors so finding the correct amount of light pressure is still on going.
    Blade: Feather Pro AC (1) nice sharp blade, Sharp & smooth, longevity?.
    Soap: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore, nice mild tobacco & vanilla scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi 24mm tuxedo knot with black marble handle, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, great scrub + great lather painter.
    Pre Shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups. 2x WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of AVON True Gent balm aftershave.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG]excellent shave with my Yaqi Excalibur SE 50mm + a AC Feather Pro.
    SE SOTD, Sat, May 15th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times, light at the end of the tunnel!

jtspartan, brit, Electrif and 19 others like this.
  2. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Captain's Choice travels conclude with the final sample...
    The first day of the Captain's Three day voyage: Land Ho!
    Brush: Parker Synth Brush
    Bowl: Shave Nation
    Lather: Captain's Choice Land Ho! soap
    Razor: Gillette 1959 E4
    Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
    Balm: Captain's Land Ho!

Excellent Lather with along with a fresh summer scent!

IMG_6060.jpg

jtspartan, Ron R, brit and 20 others like this.
  3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

AlfredoT and clint64 like this.
  4. Burak Kucukler

Burak Kucukler Well-Known Member

5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Pretty soon it will be time for me to break out the Stoylin Glacial Lime soap. As it is now, I used Osage today.

Karl G and clint64 like this.
  6. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

05/15/21 Shave of the Day
    Face Wash with Henri et Victoria Rasage Traditionnel Cognac and Cuban Cigars 2 in 1 Beard & Body Wash
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Malbolge Conditioning Shampoo Puck - A Woodsy, Aromatic Fall Classic!
    The Club Khalifa K2 Shaving Soap for VIP Members
    Wolf Whiskers Blue Train Custom Fluted Bishop TGN 24mm Silvertip Grade A Badger Brush
    Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
    Mountain Mike 3” English Bridle Leather Strop
    Wade & Butcher Straight Razor with Black Scales
    Lancaster Razor Works Lavender Black Sheep Shaving Towel
    Phoenix Shaving No Slip Grip Alum Block with Rubber Grip Band
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Alum Block Dry Dock System
    Thayers Alcohol Free Lavender Witch Hazel Toner with Aloe Vera
    The Club Chasing the Dragon Aftershave Splash & Skin Food for VIP Members
    Schmidt’s Charcoal + Magnesium Mineral Enriched Natural Deodorant
    Maggard’s Razor Oil​

D IMG_8468.jpg

jtspartan, Ron R, brit and 19 others like this.
  7. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Lol safety first my friend.. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlfredoT, Karl G and clint64 like this.
  8. Bizoo

Bizoo Well-Known Member

May 14th. Face and head shave.

Pre: Warm water
    Brush: Yaqi Moka two band badger
    Soap: Higo y vainilla by Luna
    Head razor: Mühle R41 with Personna Chrome Platinum
    Face razor: Chinese clone Feather Artist Club SS with Feather Professional

After loading the brush for 15 seconds I knew I had enough lather for two shaves. The intention was a face shave only but it ended up in face and head [​IMG]

[​IMG]

jtspartan, Ron R, brit and 18 others like this.
  9. Jorvaljr

I wish i could get into fancy liquor. But whiskey, bourbon, it all tastes the same to me. Lol but awesome pic.

awk-m4, Karl G and clint64 like this.
  10. Jorvaljr

I dig that VIP glass soap dish. Faaaaancy!!

Smooth Steve, Karl G and clint64 like this.
  11. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Well, that was a top notch shave. The Saturday razor from my four day set of midi-Lunds was sublime:happy036:

Hot water preparation
    Argan Oil PSO
    Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip Badger
    Castle Forbes 1445 Shaving Cream
    Saturday Midi Lund almost 5/8
    Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel

C8F6C483-3CD7-4BA1-AF86-88C0B8410F12.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl

jtspartan, Ron R, brit and 16 others like this.
  12. Jorvaljr

IMG_7460.jpg

Razor: Gem Junior
    Blade: Gem stainless
    Brush: Ever ready 740
    Soap: Rex Sandalwood
    A/S: Fine Santal absolut

A wonderful BBS shave. Its funny that these gem razors always feel like straight razors to me. i dont have alot of experience with straights but its how they feel to me.
    The soap is actually a cream i think? LoL i dont know because it was stiff and gummy like a croap but it could have been a cream? I had 2-1oz samples from one of the Big shave west when they were in california and im barely getting to them now.. maybe a few of years old? Either way 2oz is alot and fit perfectly into my new vintage shaving cream dish.
    The aftershave is my favorite and its is practically the same scent as my all time favorite scent the AOS sandalwood. Im sad that its been discontinued and i try not to use it often.

jtspartan, Ron R, brit and 20 others like this.
  13. Jorvaljr

I love the way that razor looks. The way the tang ( ? ) is notched or whatever you call that look. Its cool

clint64 and Karl G like this.
  14. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Thanks! It’s essentially a scaled down version of what may be my favorite shaving razor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The set was the result of a tip-off of a BIN from @Steve56 and I was in such a rush to snag it before someone else that I didn’t notice the mention of the smaller size :shocked029:

No matter, it just proves that razors of all sizes can deliver great shaves :happy088:

I’m not sure if there is a technical term for that notch - I always refer to it as a drip notch and the look gets me every time. :happy036:

jtspartan, Ron R, brit and 14 others like this.
  15. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

SUNDAY'S SHAVE

[​IMG]

Perfumed by:
    Douglas Smythe
    [​IMG]

Razor - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - Double Open Comb Ascension (316L Stainless Steel Adjustable)
    Blade - [​IMG] *2nd Shave
    Lather Brush - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "The Green Ray" *Faux Horse Hair
    Shaving Soap - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "Vetiver Planet" *discontinued :(
    Aftershave/Fragrance - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "Vetiver Planet" *discontinued :(

***EDIT - 1 pass + seek & destroy clean up. BBS. I did a very efficient shave with zero irritation. The splash didn't even sting, so the whole shave was perfect. 10/10. I didn't need anything but the shaving soap and splash to get this done. I love the scent and wish PAA would bring it back and make the scent just like the final batch they did.

***EDIT 2 - BTW, I really am not into vetiver scents, but this one is by FAR, the best vetiver scent I've ever smelled. That goes for the most recent batch with the darker color juice. I have also smelled past bottles of Vetiver Planet that are 'meh'. The most recent batch is astounding. I have written to PAA and informed them about this and I hope they listen. The final batch before discontinuation is VERY different from past batches and PAA admitted that the final batch had ingredients provided by a different vendor. The grass in the older batches are nearly 'white' in color while the grass in the final batch is 'brown' in color. Clearly a different variation on vetiver was used in the final batch. PAA really needs to bring this version back. It's earthy, rich, more smokey and just amazing. I keep smelling myself because it's addicting. This is some manly, awesome green-lawn smelling grass scent. Next level stuff.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    jtspartan, Ron R, brit and 19 others like this.
  16. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

:happy088:
    :happy088: Thanks. It is cool but it also flakes a bit. You have to check for piece in the soap when you lift the lid.

clint64 and Jorvaljr like this.
  17. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

Sunday SOTD

[​IMG]

Fine Accoutrements Worlds Finest Safety Razor
    Gillette‌ 7 O'clock SharpEdge Yellow
    Yaqi Mountain Lake 24mm 2-band Silvertip
    Ariana & Evans Asian Plum Shaving Soap
    Ariana & Evans Asian Plum Afrershave Splash

jtspartan, jimjo1031, Ron R and 18 others like this.
  18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Dime, Gem ptfe stainless blade, shave 5
    [​IMG]

Underassuming and overachieving is the best way to describe this razor. Second shave with this razor. Because the blade has little support it flexes a bit and the feel of the shave is similar to an Autostrop A1 for the same reason which was a contemporary to this razor. Feels similar but flat outshaves the any Autostrop when all is said and done. End result BBS finish achieved.

jtspartan, jimjo1031, Ron R and 13 others like this.
  19. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

16 May 2021

Blackbird Brass OC 101
    Wizamet Iridium Super
    Zenith Boar + Oscar11 Amber C7
    Mystic Water Poggio dei Pini
    Unrefined Shea Butter
    Bergamot/Vetiver EO

[​IMG]

jtspartan, jimjo1031, Ron R and 18 others like this.
  20. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

I love the re-purposed vintage soap bowl! That's a great way to do it.

jimjo1031, clint64 and Jorvaljr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.