An apology

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by swarden43, May 14, 2021.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

@DrStrange I am sorry. Over in the Williams Users Poll https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/williams-user-poll.65453/ I scoffed at you for taking six minutes to create a usable lather from Williams. The apology is because I made the statement and I have never taken the time myself to see how long I spend creating my lather from any of my soaps.

Sooooo... this morning, damp badger brush, dry puck of Tabac, and a stopwatch all at the ready, I timed myself to see how long it took me to get a usable lather.

Just shy of a minute.

I will admit to overloading a brush because it's my shave and I'll enjoy it my way. I make three passes, because I can (not bragging), and I enjoy it. I make enough lather for 4+ passes because 1) I like to have the lather 3-4 inches thick on my face (not really, but I do like it laid on heavy. I don't want to see any skin peeking out from under the lather). B) I take the leftover lather and spread over my face as if for a 4th pass. I know many of the soaps have vitamins and moisturizing ingredients, so I let that sit on my face as I clean up, then rinse it off.

As I've said about Williams, I refuse to fight with a soap to get a good lather. Soaps in my rotation include the Tabac, VDH Luxury, VDH Deluxe, 3 scents of Sterling Soaps, Kiss My Face cream (unscented - I like to add scented oils I've purchased from Brambleberry) and Proraso cream. I lather all the same, all with the same ease and results.

I define fighting with a soap any time I have to do anything above and beyond what I did with the Tabac mentioned above in order to get what a lather I am happy with.
    Above and beyond:
    Spending more than two minutes to load a brush
    Adding water to soak a puck ("bloom" is a ridiculous term for soaking a puck, my opinion)
    Adding glycerin to add slickness
    Adding cream to add thickness (I will add the KMF unscented on the rare occasions I've left too much water in the brush, resulting in a thin, watery lather)

Bottom line - what I consider fighting with a soap and what others may consider normal SOP, may be very different. It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've been told that I need to add water incrementally while lathering Williams to get a decent lather. I've never tested this recommendation because off the length of time + the general pain in the *** of having to jump though an elaborate ritual to lather.

...Something I don't have to do with any other soap brand out there*. That being the case, I save Williams for dressing the linen part of my strop. Works quite well for the purpose.

*I've settled on a handful of soap manufacturers that I like. I haven't tried most brands, but I've tried most established (+10 years in operation) brands. The only "old" brand that gave me as much trouble as Williams, is Trumper's. A beautifully scented, super expensive, round bath soap in a pretty wooden bowl. Imo.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    IAmTheJody, Angelo85, Enrico and 4 others like this.
  3. Landro

Landro Member

I'm a big tabac fan myself.
    Then again I have Williams. I used it often till I discovered Arko. Maybe it's because I face lather but obtaining a rich usable lather from Tabac, Williams, Arko, Pinaud, Col Conk, Cello, MWF, Proraso takes me pretty much the same amount of time for all of them. I just start a little too wet and splay the brush out in a full fan and with circular motions watch the explosion... Geez I love shave soap :)
    I do soak the Puck (Bloom it)

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And how long is that?

Enrico likes this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Starts lathering on Friday and starts shaving on Sunday.

:happy097:..........:happy102:...........:rofl:.............:signs081:............:scared007:

:eatdrink013:

6. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

I used Williams for years. Then I discovered Arko, and that lead me down a rabbit hole of discovery. I have no desire to settle for just ok ever again. There are so many other brands I enjoy, and for me at least offer the sort of lather and scents i really like.

PLANofMAN, Enrico and richgem like this.
  7. Landro

Landro Member

Never timed it but from the time I dip in the soap and finish lathering it's about a minute. Maybe a little more.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.