What shavette did you use today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by ischiapp, Feb 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Because I like ... as straight razors ... shevettes too!!!

Jaguar Solingen Orca 3807
    [​IMG]

2. Jenks

Jenks Active Member

Not today but yesterday -- Feather AC SS Kamisori with Feather ProGuard.

3. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

danbuter, TestDepth, snuff and 3 others like this.
  4. Landro

Landro Member

I used a Blue Dovo with a Merkur blade. Just got it actually. It's been years since I used a straight so I am going to take it slow. No cuts but razor burn and a fair amount of weeping.

TestDepth and Edison Carter like this.
  5. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Tonight’s shave
    04-08-21
    Razor: Weck sextoblade
    Blade: Fromm
    Soap: Arko
    Brush: Boar
    Aftershave: lilac vegetal

Wonderful shave!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

danbuter, TestDepth, snuff and 2 others like this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD, Friday, April 9th 2021

Razor: Kai Luffy Style shavette- Mfg 2018> well made Zamac folding razor, easy to manipulate around the face, good razor to learn with or just enjoy as a seasoned shaver. This style of Shavette allows a person to access Feather or Kai guarded blades.
    Blade: Kai Protouch guarded- excellent blade, Sharp & smooth + well made. Great way to learn and reduce nicks & weepers. I like this blade so much that I bought a AC SE razor to try out.
    Soap: Razorock XXX- nice clean scent, Excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Moka express synthetic, nice to look at handle with nice 24 mm knot. Excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips + gentle scrub & great lather painter.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 pickups. WTG + 2X ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + minor irritation + some weepers= [​IMG]Excellent shave with my Kai style folding shavette + Kai protouch guarded blades.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

danbuter, TestDepth, snuff and 3 others like this.
  7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Fri, April 16th 2021

Razor: Kai Folding Shavette type(Luffy)- Great Zamak shavette, easy to manipulate around the face, I like this folding type.
    Blade: Kai Protouch guarded (4)- Excellent blade, very smooth & sharp compared to a naked edge. Great blade to learn with or just shave IMO.
    Soap: Razorock Lavender- nice scent with excellent lather properties,(discontinued?) One of the better soaps in their line IMO.
    Brush: Yaqi 24 mm Tuxedo knot- excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, great gentle scrub + excellent lather painter.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG+ pickups.
    Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS + DFS+ BbS + no irritation + 1 tiny weeper= [​IMG]Excellent shave with my Kai style Shavette with a Kai Protouch guarded blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these Times!

TestDepth, snuff and Edison Carter like this.
  8. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Quick shave this morning.

Face lathered

No stropping.

Feather DX

Feather Pro (3)

2.5 passes

Brut - to go

I love this razor.

[​IMG]

Hogie, danbuter, TestDepth and 3 others like this.
  9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Fri, May 7th, 2021

Razor: Kai Style AC shavette- Mfg 2018>, well built for a Zamac Shavette, I like the folding type because it can be configured to my liking. Easy razor to enjoy and learn with IMO with a guarded blade.
    Blade: Kai Protouch guarded (7), sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity usually around 8 shaves for me, very smooth blade compared to a naked edge and I still get close shaves.
    Soap: Arko, scent is controversial with great lather qualities, still on my 1st stick 4 years later, has amazing longevity[​IMG].
    Brush: Yaqi Atlantis 24mm- Excellent lather creator, cloud like soft tips, excellent back bone for scrubbing+ good lather painter.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3. 1X WTG + 2X ATG.
    Post shave: Pinaud Clubman with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG]Excellent shave with my Kai style shavette with a Kai Protouch.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

10. Edison Carter

I’ve been delinquent in shaving this week.

Today.....still pressed for time....looking over my stuff for what is good, fast, easy and ready to rock.

It came down to the Supply injector with a Proline on (2), or the Feather AC DX with a Feather Pro on (3).

Since the AC covers more acreage per pass than the injector and easily truncates shaves by a pass or 2, it got the call.

Excellent fast shave, and out the door I went.

I gotta say this is probably my favorite stuff. I use this brush more than anything else. While I like a variety of Stirling flavors, it is still Stirling soap and AS Splash more than anything.

The Feather DX always outshaves everything when fresh steel is on board. No stropping, honing, or beatings from the Hone Police sent by the royal palace for using unauthorized stuff. Just shave and go.

[​IMG]

TestDepth, jgreenepa, Ron R and 2 others like this.
  11. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

Feather DX non-folding, Schick Proline blade.

20210529_213516.jpg

12. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

Technically not a shavette, but close enough.....

20210603_003306.jpg

13. Edison Carter

A disposable?

with a guard blade?

just a lit more info please.

14. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

Yes indeed. It's called the Kai BeautyGuard. I also have the unguarded version (Beauty-M), but have yet to try them. Both were acquired on eBay, but I believe Connaught or Fendrihan carries some version of them.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I will caution you that the guarded version still needs to be respected, especially on the first use (ask me how I know!). They're also not the most ergonomic for a face shave, but it's fun to use them now and again to change things up.

Ron R and Edison Carter like this.
  15. Edison Carter

Kai blades are nice. Very cool. Thx.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    rs_776 likes this.
  16. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD,Friday, June 4th 2021

Razor: Kai style folding shavette- great priced shavette, well made, good entry type shavette for newbe's or seasoned shavers.
    Blade: Kai protouch guarded(1) excellent blade, Sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity, less nicks, cuts, & weepers IMO.
    Soap: Ogallala Bayrum & sandalwood, great scent + great lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi 24mm boar bristle, still sheds 1 or 2 hairs, nice handle + very enjoyable soft tips with good backbone for a boar.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + picks. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: Witch hazel, Ogallala Bayrum & sandalwood aftershave + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + 1 chin weeper= [​IMG]excellent shave with my Kai style shavette + a Kai protouch.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

danbuter, TestDepth and Edison Carter like this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD, Fri, June 18th 2021

Razor:
    Kai style shavette(clone)- Mfg2017> Well built shavette, I like the folding type, easy to manipulate, good results usually.
    Blade: Kai Protouch guarded (2)- Excellent guarded blade, Sharp & smooth with good longevity(7 uses usually).
    Soap: Speick, nice spicy scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi 24mm boar brush- great lather generator, Nice handle , soft tips nice scrub + great lather painter.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG +ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 2 chin weepers= [​IMG] excellent shave with my Kai style shavette + a Kai Protouch.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

18. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

Tedalus Essence shavette + Feather Professional Super Blade (14x)
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Amber Aerolite 24mm Hybrid Synthetic
    Declaration Grooming Tribute
    Obsession for Men eau de toilette

[​IMG]

danbuter, TestDepth and Edison Carter like this.
  19. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

[​IMG]
    Focus Slim Al shavette
    Astra SP snapped (fresh)
    Razorock 400 synthetic brush
    Soap Commander Honor shave soap
    Royal Copenhagen cologne

Awesome lather this morning. Soap Commander is dependable and always provides some very nice lather.

So where did that Focus Slim come from? It showed up yesterday on loan from the den of Bill's @Edison Carter. I have always like the looks and construction of the Slim. I asked Bill about his thoughts on it and he offered it up for some test runs. I appreciate his generosity.

So what do I think about it? Does it check a few boxes for me? The first thing that jumps out at me is the light weight. I'm a fan of light razors and this one is a light weight. All machined aluminum and even the scale/handle is a solid piece of machined aluminum. The retainer and pivot pin appears to be stainless steel screws. The razor is thoughtfully executed and fabricated. It is available in multiple colors. Me likie a lot but how does it shave?

Loading the blade is no problem. You just have to pay attention and place the curved part of the snapped area of the blade down and then slide the lock plate into position. The curved area provide a little bit of tension to secure the blade between the plates. I like the fact that the corners of the blade are covered.

The angle is easy to find and I completed two very nice passes except for a weeper above the Adam's apple. No biggie and the alum was almost quiet.

I have been trying to focus on my straights but I could not resist trying the Focus Slim out this morning. It is a very nice shavette and I'm looking forward to some more shaves with it.

I hope everyone has a great day.

20. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

Vintage C-Mon shaper

20210714_231904.jpg