Rocnel Sailor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by LOOT, Feb 22, 2018.

1. 773badger

773badger New Member

I agree it’s a ‘missle’. My cap flew off when I first ejected it.

Loading i agree will take some finesse. I load the blade, put cap on and then invert onto a towel which is laid flat on the sink, push the cap / springs down and screw the knob simultaneously to avoid being cut. I don’t know if another way to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOOT, RyX and clint64 like this.
  2. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

First shave. For background, I am a big fan of aggressive razors. I like blade feel.

I had read the Sailor was designed for a Feather blade. For fun, I tried putting in an Astra because I had one unwrapped. No dice. The Feather went in no problem. I like Feathers so it's no big deal, but I'd like to find a more forgiving blade.

First N/S pass. The dial goes from 1-5. I went straight to 4.5. Wow, is it aggressive with tons of blade feel. Audio feedback was low. It was clear attention to technique was paramount as the opportunity for major lacerations were possible, yet it was super smooth. Remarkably smooth.

I backed it down to 2.5 on the second pass. The audio feedback was better but it was not quite efficient enough. Up to 3 for cleanup and I ended with a DFS. Just like I like it. My face is BBS but my neck isn't which is fine...it never is.

It will be interesting to play with but I'm thinking I'll settle in around setting 4ish. Direct comparisons with other razors to come but the Sailor is a very nice shaver.

Finding a more forgiving blade will be important. I like Feathers but I'm not exclusive to them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

3. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Another way is to assemble vertically. Stand the cap on the towel, load blade on cap, put the handle on , insert knob, compress spring/twist knob.

How is it shaving for you?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

4. Razor_187

Razor_187 Active Member

Another way to put the top cap back on is to use you index and middle finger to hold the razor (similar to a razor stand) palm facing up. Then press down with you thumb while screwing in the bottom dial with the other hand. Hope that helps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have the first edition Rocnel disposable and I’m curious how the it compares to the new “Sailor” version. Can any of you gentlemen compare them?

6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have the B&R version

7. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I can not. This is the only Rocnel I own.

Keithmax likes this.
  8. These blades will also fit:
    Derby EXTRA / DERBY Premium
    Personna Platinum Chrome
    Super + Platinum (Crystal, IP’s)
    Super-Max, all types.
    Treet, all types.
    Wilkinson Sword Double Edge (DEU)

Best regards,

Paul

Keithmax likes this.
  9. lvanerstrom

lvanerstrom New Member

What is the proper way to align the barrel screw and cap when loading a blade? By that I mean what indicator on the barrel screw do I align to the dot before I start turning? I have tried the dot, the 1 and the eject symbol and lowest I can get with even a feather in it is 1.5. Also, how to know which way to have the cap turned?

Seems like they could have made this easier. Does anyone else besides me feel like the turn knob is not smooth at all? Mine feels "grindy" like the metal is not smooth enough inside the barrel when I adjust the setting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Keithmax likes this.
  10. With a blade inserted the dial will read 1, the dots will not line up. If the 'Rocnel' on the top cap is facing you, the 'Sailor' of the neck should also. I guess they preferred this to a mark on the side.

11. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Small update. Ive added the 2019 and a 2020 Prototype. The 2020 Model S is similar to the prototype. The geometry should be the same, according to Murat. I should have a Model S to add to the collection in a few weeks. The prototype is pictured with a Ti WR2 for comparison. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

brit and Enrico like this.
  12. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Another Sailor update!

I added a 2020 Model S production and a 2021 Prototype. I am in the process of negotiating another 2021 but a little different. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

PLANofMAN, snuff, brit and 2 others like this.
  13. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I thought I was going to be sick when I saw @jluc ‘s new addition.

I really didn’t understand what sick really felt like.
    :sad023:

What really nice stuff!

brit, LOOT and jluc like this.
  14. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Wow...

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

brit, Edison Carter and LOOT like this.
  15. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Very nice looking razors but, why? From what I understood from yours and others reviews, it's not really a good shaver, will work with only a few DE blade brands and is difficult to load and unload a blade. So I'm curious: Why?

LOOT likes this.
  16. rawfox1

rawfox1 Well-Known Member

I have not found that to be the case it fits all my razor blades and is very easy to load and unload and it's one of the best shaving razors I have found if not the best. There may be only one model that didn't accept all blades all blades

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

snuff, IAmTheJody and LOOT like this.
  17. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Thank you sir, I am a lucky boy. Murat, for some reason, has taking a liking to me.

Edison Carter and jluc like this.
  18. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Correct, only the 17 was picky about blades.

In 17, I wasn't much of a fan of blade feel. The 17 and 19 have plenty of blade feel.

The 20 and 21 models are completely different razors. Both are as smooth as any Wolfman I have, at any gap. Ive also soften my stance on pikes of blade feel.

Why? Primarily, because I think Murat is on another level with adjustables. I appreciate the build quality, the aesthetics, and especially the shave.

PLANofMAN, snuff, brit and 4 others like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

very cool..:cool:

LOOT likes this.
  20. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

I totally agree with LOOT, I have plenty of razors but this is one of the very best. Even wide open no nicks or irritation

[​IMG]