Question about recent straight razor purchase.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Ttallent13, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Ttallent13

Ttallent13 New Member

6916DA4E-B609-4946-9C9A-14BA565DBAE4.jpeg 30126DE8-EC10-4368-9B4A-14F7BB785BA5.jpeg So let me start by saying I am new to straight razors. I have always been interested in trying one to shave with for sometime, but was a-little apprehensive. So I took the plunge and bought a dovo best quality. I must say it took a bit to get used to, but I took my time with it and love it. Something about the doing something more old school I guess. So now I have wanted to get into a more antique blade and found a George Wostenholm and son at a small antique shop. It was $20 and looks to be in good shape. However I’m having a hard time finding Info on it, the brand I can, but not this model. So is this a good model and worth putting time into or did i waste my money? It looks to be etched in Masonic images on the blade.

Billyfergie, Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Welcome to TSD. $20.00 for that blade is a great deal. Send it to @gssixgun aka Glen and pay him a few bucks to make it shave ready. You can't go wrong with a Wosty and you can't go wrong with Glen.

3. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD!
    From the pictures and the condition, I would say money well spent. Those near wedge Sheffield blades are different than your dovo, but a great change of pace.

Can’t say I know of a “model” per say, but you are probably looking mid to later 1800’s. Can we get a photo of the tang with the stamp?
    Tom

4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Welcome! You’re doing well. Send it to Glen for a facelift.

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

@Ttallent13 ,The Masonic Wosty you have is a desired collectable. Also, it looks to be in pretty good shape. But, it is a wedge ground blade, and will feel different than the Full Hollow ground Dovo you are using. Have a professional Hone it for you, so you know it is done right. Don't be surprised if you arent thrilled with the feel of a wedge blade. It's kind of a love them or hate them thing.

6. Ttallent13

Ttallent13 New Member

I will try to get a picture of the tang with the stamp. Kind of cool to find out I got a good deal and can potentially shave with something that old.

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

$20 for a Masonic Geo Wostenholm, in very good condition?? Yes, it was a good deal. It would be a good deal, even if the scales were trashed.

Karl G, Steve56 and Billyfergie like this.
  8. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Really nice razors

For future reference and for others reading

We can't see the tail of the razor which is a major clue to date of Manufacture :)

Karl G, Steve56 and Billyfergie like this.
  9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Good Catch..Welcome to the Dark Side..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

Karl G, Enrico, Tedolph and 1 other person like this.
  10. Ttallent13

Ttallent13 New Member

Here is the other side and the stamp 9317AC1A-94F6-4C83-8662-BF2110164ACD.jpeg DAA810E6-703D-4DF1-87BA-A59298E2EAEA.jpeg

Karl G, Enrico and Billyfergie like this.
  11. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Let's see if this loads

[​IMG]

12. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Washington Works is a great indicator of the age. That plant was opened in 1848. It was the largest cutlery plant of its time. You can read a nice writeup about Wostenholm's history here: https://www.sheffieldcollectableknives.com/about/george-wostenholm, although the article focuses more on knives than razors. My later 19th century Wosties don't say Washington Works, so I would guess that yours falls somewhere between 1848 and about 1880. Incidentally, there is a similar Masonic Wostie for sale on eBay right now asking for $375. Asking isn't getting, but it does give some window into the perceived value of Wosties. Great find!

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

Billyfergie, Ttallent13 and Karl G like this.
  13. Ttallent13

Ttallent13 New Member

Thanks for all the great info

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.