What’s in your Dopp / Travel Kit?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Jorvaljr, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

With my week long vacation a couple of days away and alot of states opening up, I started to wonder what does every body else bring with them on their trips, vacations, or weekend getaways? The inspiration for this post was really from watching @gwsmallwood youtube video recently.

So I try to take a variety of stuff if im going on a long vacation, especially when i have soo much travel stuff for shaving. Im one of those hoarders that look at something and say to my self “ i bet i can use that some how”. Its a disease i know i have it lol but atleast my wife keeps me in check so theres that. I reuse hotel bottles to store aftershave and colognes and I just hate buying travel bottles when I can simply reuse one and they are perfect for travel. My real hope is to potentially spread the creative ideas we have to others. Please post yours when you are going on your trip. Lets keep it to up coming trips or trips that just ended.

In enough rambling so here is what I’m planning on taking on my trip next week .

Arko in the gold gillette tube and palmolive in the colgate tube
    IMG_7979.jpg
    Freshly reknotted travel brushes in boar and synthetic
    IMG_7980.jpg
    Citrus musk and medicated witch hazel in hotel lotion bottles
    IMG_7981.jpg
    Cologne samples i got from dept stores placed in a colgate tube so they dont bounce around
    IMG_7982.jpg
    Several different brands of blades in plastic dispenser
    IMG_7985.jpg
    Variety of heads and one handle
    IMG_7986.jpg
    Misc. samples just because. Lol
    IMG_7987.jpg
    There we have it with the rest essentials
    IMG_7988.jpg
    Nice little package
    IMG_7989.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    Daywalker, IAmTheJody and jimjo1031 like this.
  2. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

20210612_120244_HDR.jpg

Stirling's boar brush
    Derby stick
    Gillette Super Speed razor
    Razorock aftershave wax
    Mustang cologne
    Spare Astra SP blades

Jorvaljr likes this.
  3. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Everything. It is like a woman's purse.

Dave in KY, IAmTheJody and Jorvaljr like this.
  4. Jorvaljr

Is the cup for lathering in or is it for a cocktail as you’re relaxin away?

Daywalker likes this.
  5. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I don't travel much, especially over the last year and a half, but I'm always at the ready, and maybe doing more long distance traveling since Southwest Airlines and their affordable fares has returned to our airport this year after having pulled out about 15 years ago. So flying was limited as our only options were American, Delta and Continental - all which cost an arm and two legs.

• Gillette dopp bag
    Razors and blades
    • 1954-1958 short handle Eversharp Hydro-Magic Type I2 injector razor
    • 1980s Schick injector blades

• T-4 1973 birth year and quarter Gillette long handle black adjustable, original case
    • 2010 Voskhod DE blades

• 1980s Gillette mini Atra handle; made by Gillette Group Italy S.p.A. aka Gillette Italy
    • 1980s Schick Slim Twin cartridges for Gillette Atra handle above
    Brush
    • 2011 Vulfix Old Original 2190; cream color handle; 19mm Best-grade 3-band badger hair knot (small travel brush)
    Soaps
    • Modern European Palmolive shave stick in mint vintage 1920s Palmolive Shave Stick holder (image shows it with vintage 1920s Colgate Shave Stick holder but I have since moved it to the Palmolive holder to match.)
    • Russian Tet-A-Tet shave cream in a small round glass container, screw off and on lid
    Post (not pictured)
    • Russian Tet-A-Tet aftershave balm in a small round glass container, screw off and on lid
    • Hugo Boss cologne in a small sample size plastic refillable spray bottle
    tapatalk_-893798363.jpeg tapatalk_1088845407.jpeg tapatalk_-1538752592.jpeg

Daywalker and Jorvaljr like this.
  6. Jorvaljr

Awesome stuff! I dig that bag!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  7. IAmTheJody

Daywalker and Jorvaljr like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I carry a GEM G3 set with treet blades. Usually a cake of Williams and a Omega travel boar. I have a plastic bottle of Aqua Velva and one of Smells Like Old Spice that go in there too. I also keep rinse-less shampoo and body wash in case I am some where that there is not a shower.

Daywalker and IAmTheJody like this.
  9. Daywalker

Daywalker Active Member

I do a lot of short trips to my sister's dacha in the East German Prignitz recently - because it's beautiful there.

I figured I need to crush the essentials I need into my smaller dopp kit:

- Mil-Tec wash bag
    - DSCosmetic safety razor bag (cheap khaki set knock off) with a Gillette Tech and 5-pack of Astra blades.
    - nom Black Fibre ("Gustav"/Havanna)
    - Arko in a used deo container (I actually just threw the deo away - I prefer Alum) and a comb.

IMG_20210613_193449_resized.jpg

Inside I got
    - soap bar container with Palmolive bar soap for my loins.
    - 1 spray bottle with after shave of the season (currently Axe Excite - yummy) which I also use as a deo.
    - 1 spray bottle vinegar for shiny hair (really).
    - A tube of Brisk (German Brylcreem) - cause I'm OCD and tend to over-wash.
    - Toothpaste
    - Toothbrushes for me and loved ones who somehow tend to forget theirs.
    - Small potassium alum deo stick - which I always use as deo only (my face doesn't like it).
    - Jar with lotion (face, hand and body), which I also use post shave.

IMG_20210613_193649.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    Jorvaljr and IAmTheJody like this.
  10. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

I use the cup to soak my brush with and adding more water to the lathered brush when needed.

After being without a cup a couple of times at the motel. I make sure to keep one in my door bag.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  11. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Ditto for me, I want the same options/choices as I have at home but it does get scaled down a little out of a necessity. Here's a pic of the brushes (3 coins edited out) and razors took for a week of camping in 2019. Can't find last years pics or the pic of the soaps/aftershaves which filled a small duffel bag. :D
    IMG_20191028_152112950.jpg

Ksblazer and IAmTheJody like this.
  12. IAmTheJody

Now I'm curious... What's on the coins?
    :signs002:

13. Dave in KY

A Forum unworthy of screen time ;) Would have used another pic if I found one. I'll get up this years come October as we camp for a week or 2 every year :happy088:

IAmTheJody likes this.
  14. IAmTheJody

Ah. Gotcha. I was thinking a nudie or pin-up. lol I've always wanted a custom clear ?lucite? brush handle that had a birth year coin in it, but not flat on the end. Instead, standing up inside the handle to be able to see both sides of the coin. Preferably a 1973 US half dollar but if a half dollar is too big for a brush handle, then a 1973 US quarter.

Dave in KY likes this.
  15. Dave in KY

Check with Teton shaves as he does a Zen series that has stones and he may do a custom for you. I have 1 of his. My only recommendation is get your own knot or have him set it with silicone for easy replacement if you don't like the STIFF Backbone it has for a synthetic. That's what I did.
    https://www.facebook.com/tetonshaves
    IMG_20201111_194620568.jpg

IAmTheJody likes this.
  16. IAmTheJody

I prefer STIFF backbone but not synthetic. Badger buff all the way here. The handle is nice for sure. Thanks for the rec.

Dave in KY and Jorvaljr like this.