What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Hae..Hae..Aye its a Chopper..Its VERY Manoeuvrable & Steerable around the Face..Surprisingly Enough..:sport001:

Billy..:chores016:

2. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

The difference between that little fellow and me is that I am 193 cm long…. And no Lederhosen!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

3. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Filarmonica Doble Temple 14
    Brush: Razorock
    Suds: MWF
    Splash: Razorock Blue Fougere
    Early Filarmonica, plain scales, “JMP” on the face... I’m thinking this is my favorite of the bunch. :)
    F925AA7B-0083-4587-B15D-975EF9759469.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

lindyhopper66, Lou61, Hammer8 and 7 others like this.
  4. Ky K

Ky K Well-Known Member

Today’s shave brought to me by my pre tariff 5/8 Wade and Butcher. Turn n Shave M1. Declaration Grooming.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lindyhopper66, Lou61, Hammer8 and 7 others like this.
  5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Nice gen 1 Filly Tom, people do seem to gravitate to the first generation JMP blades. I’ve always thought that the quality between F14s depended more on the individual razor than the generation, but maybe there were some differences. I certainly have gen 2 razors that shave as well as my gen 1 razors. The only measurable difference that I’ve noted is that the gen 2 Doble Temple’s tangs are a little shorter top to bottom than the gen 1 or the Novodur or Sub Cero.

Kikuboshi 45, soap was MdC agrumes lathered with a Keyhole 4, and a splash of Myrsol limon finished up a perfect shave. I bought this razor years ago, and nice ones back then were pricy but not excessively so. Recently I saw a NOS one go for an eye-popping price and TBH I never understood why. They’re a nice razor of course, but nothing is really special about them. I like it because of the shorter blade, very maneuverable over the hills and dales so to say.

4FC424A7-EEFE-42B0-B9AC-1DCB7F98FE0E.jpeg

lindyhopper66, Lou61, Tedolph and 6 others like this.
  6. TestDepth

100% agree. So much depends on the blade we find... and the edge we put on. Ah, the variables - good times! :)

Karl G and Steve56 like this.
  7. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

This big W&B is always an enjoyable shave - today was another winner :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    Argan Oil PSO
    Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger
    Castle Forbes 1445 Shaving Cream
    Wade & Butcher The Celebrated Hollow Ground 9/8
    Old Spice After Shave

56744D98-600E-495F-806C-79D55A76093A.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl

Lou61, lottenhem, Hammer8 and 4 others like this.
  8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

That’s a big beauty Karl! I always enjoy seeing it.

TestDepth and Karl G like this.
  9. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

:thanks:

TestDepth likes this.
  10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Ribbon 100, soap was vintage Yardley lathered with a Simpsons 57, and the AS was SMN lavanda. Great shave on Saturday morning.

A723952C-0AF2-428F-B8D4-31DD9034B6E4.jpeg

Lou61, lightcs1776, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  11. taskind

taskind Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

Lou61, lightcs1776, Karl G and 5 others like this.
  12. lottenhem

Beautiful razor!

13. lottenhem

Saturday afternoon shave, CVH 923F, Military razor that works perfectly.
    [​IMG]

Lou61, taskind, Hammer8 and 5 others like this.
  14. TestDepth

Filarmonica Doble Temple 14
    Brush: Van Chase shift knob
    Suds: Southern Superior Shave “Rue Bourbon”
    Splash: Zingari Man Unscented
    FFA3E29C-EB63-4DDA-B214-31E4145FD2D0.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

Lou61, taskind, Hammer8 and 4 others like this.
  15. lottenhem

Another butcher knife!no offence from my side, however I wonder about the big deal about broad razors? What is the benefit against a 4/8-5/8” razor? Personally I think that size only complicate the process? Perhaps I have missed the benefit of a broad razor? I can only relate to my CVH and other Swedish razors.

16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

One thing that I’ve noted, having both wide and narrow razors, is that if that both a wide and narrow razor are full hollow, the narrow razor is stiffer because there’s less width of thin material. Some Filarmonica 14s will have a width of very thin steel that’s likely wider than an entire 4/8 razor. Same with some German razors and the Grelot 14. That makes a difference - you may like it or not like it.

The first image shows a ~9/16 Klas Tornblöm next to a Filarmonica 14 Novodur. The width of thin steel in the Filarmonica is a lot larger than the KT, and the KT is actually getting an optical ‘boost’ by being closer to the camera lens. The second image maybe better shows the difference, the thin portion of the Novodur almost equals the width of the KT. The KT is stiff even though it’s fairly thinly ground, the Novodur is anything but stiff.

On heavier grinds, maybe the difference is not as apparent. Personally I don’t like large razors with a heavy grind, they’re just too heavy though many people like that heft. My Filarmonica 14s and CVH No 140 are quite light for razors this size, especially the No 140 because it has a shorter blade. As far as maneuverability goes, I’d rather have a shorter 6/8 than 3” 4/8, I find that the shorter blades better in this respect.

Some men like large women, others like small ones. There’s no accounting for taste as we say, or c’est la vie as the French say. You won’t have any luck understanding why people like something different than you do. Hans, why don’t you try a wide razor or two and see what you think? Before Billy buys them all, yuk, yuk.

70B38AE0-21AE-4869-8325-317BE402F24E.jpeg 2C48352C-06A2-4FA9-89BE-FBC059265182.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    Lou61, taskind, lottenhem and 4 others like this.
  17. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

The only way to know is to buy and use one :happy093:

Seriously, I shave with all sizes and grinds (except wedges) and they all have their charms. I came to larger blades late but find they are far more maneuverable than I’d have ever thought and the extra heft can make the shave really enjoyable with a heavier growth. The 5/8 Wonderedge I used recently was a wonderful shave and memorable. So was the 9/8 W&B I used yesterday. I’m definitely a fan of big blades even though I stayed away from them for a long time. :happy088:

I’m not joking when I say you have to try it out to know - it’s good to broaden your horizons :eatdrink047:

taskind, lottenhem and TestDepth like this.
  18. lottenhem

Thanks Steve, I have to buy one before our Scottish friend have drained the market . Suggestions off good websites would be appreciated.
    Regards
    Hans

19. lottenhem

Thanks Karl!
    I certainly will buy one, what scares me is that if I like the broader blades more I have to scrap +50 razors…
    Regards
    Hans

20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

YW Hans,

Try rasoir sabre in France
    eBay of course, probably Germany would be a good starting place
    A ‘Basic Black’ Thiers-Issard from The Invisible Edge UK
    Forum BSTs of course

And a bit more complicated but interesting might be Yahoo auctions Japan. You’ll need to use a buying service like Buyee and have your web browser translate (I use Firefox), but a friend of mine just bought a NOS Filarmonica Novodur 14 for a very good price there, good enough to sell and make money if he doesn’t like it. The selection of razors wider than 6/8 - 13/16 is not large though.

A 7/8 razor does take some getting used to in honing, stropping, and shaving, but it just takes a little time.

Don’t worry if you actually like wider razors better than your narrow ones, you wouldn’t be losing very much steel! :eek: