What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Put a Puma to a Purple Lune using water and Propylene glycol. I have been getting stellar results using water and P.G. on my vintage Special Stone and Purple Lune. A spray of water and three drops spread about with a finger. 25-50 blade weight laps usually gets me tree topping 90% of arm hair at 1/2 inch above arm. The P.G. tames the aggressiveness there known for and delivers a smooth, comfortable shave

CEAF6BFE-AAEF-462A-B0B5-3664A6F52C84.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    TestDepth, Steve56 and DaltonGang like this.
  2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Hey @Timwcic is that purple one modern or vintage?

3. Timwcic

It’s vintage @Steve56 came from the flea market. Lost a few mm lapping out the heavy dings on of the surface

Steve56 likes this.
  4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you Tim!

5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

The new Sub Cero needed an edge after some metal polish on the blade, so the usual suspects Shapton Glass 2k HR and 6k HC did the heavy lifting and the JNat put on a silent HHT in or out edge on it. It honed up very quickly, like every Filarmonica that I’ve had, the blade is perfectly ground, so there’s no need for honing gymnastics or pricey shaped stones.

0B2B17AD-0948-4D40-BBDD-0FE9F2C5C188.jpeg

Timwcic, gssixgun, lottenhem and 2 others like this.
  6. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Took a couple of Fily’s that I have had WAY too long without putting an edge on...
    Early Doble Temple and Medallon Taurino 14’s
    Suehiro 1 & 6k to get it all nice and sharp, and then the pictured Okudo to finish it all nice and smooth. :)
    7C0EA482-B117-4F79-991F-94058808408D.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

Timwcic, gssixgun and DaltonGang like this.
  7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

@RussellR5555 has inspired me to get out my own TI 11/16 Basic Black, wonderful razors, and so I gave it a touch up. A non-Asano mejiro was followed by ‘Ugly #2’, quite an excellent piece of pure deep strata Nakayama, super fine and not too hard. It’s just ugly. I even cashewed the sides, not because it needed it, but just to cover up more of the ugly, lol. Silent HHT in or out so we will see how she shaves in the morning.

F0F8B835-C1C5-41A6-98CD-D24C8CD505B5.jpeg

8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Scheön Burg frameback, touched up on Shapton Glass 8k HC, then finished handheld on a nice Nakayama iro hoard koppa from Alex Gilmore.

E007D271-CEC3-4DCA-B109-C42F60663191.jpeg

Timwcic, gssixgun, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Refinished a Shell 310 frameback using a Naniwa 13k and a Pierre La Lune (ol’ green eyes). The HHT from these stones is bonkers. Shave tomorrow.

EE92CCF2-A23A-49EA-B502-DB1468F47BE2.jpeg

Timwcic, gssixgun, lottenhem and 2 others like this.
  10. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Spent a Monday with a couple of Coticules.
    The top pic is the bevel “creator”... a BBW backed Coticule, but just stayed on the yellow side with these 4.
    33F48FB0-339A-4792-BDAF-B2B8D1BF112D.jpeg
    A beautiful old J. Nixon that behaved surprisingly nice... I guess I was expecting a fight with that shape, and a Schneider from Geneva.

Below is the refiner/finisher.
    992FC149-1227-4126-9CFA-79E0A8C3ECAE.jpeg
    A couple of old Sheffield’s - Joseph Elliott in black and one of a William Gay & Son’s gentleman set.

Should be fun to see how they came out. :)
    Happy honing.
    Tom

Timwcic, DaltonGang and Steve56 like this.
  11. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Finished up the custom restores in Tortoise Kirinite on the two Helji's and Honed a few others today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chosera 1-5-10
    Finishers L to R

Jeff Logan's test Slate
    Select Coticule
    Blue Green Escher

[​IMG]

Hone On !!!

Timwcic, DaltonGang, Zykris and 2 others like this.
  12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Great work! I really like tortoise Kirinite.

gssixgun and TestDepth like this.
  13. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Honed up a NOS Novodur 14 for a friend of mine. The bevel was rough but basically there, so the bevel set was done with a Shapton Glass HR 4k. A decent razor should pass HHT at 4k after a few licks on a strop, and it did, first image.

The 4k HR was followed by an 8k HC - Shapton designs the Glass Stones to go in 3x steps, so this is a conservative progression. Finally a good JNat finisher and tomo, both Nakayama and the set I used on the Sub Cero that I got 153 shaves from. The edge seems great and was from the test shave this morning. I’ll touch it up and the job is done.

E00858EA-447A-4A20-9680-7A91AE1280C3.jpeg 784276BC-D9A1-48FC-96A9-A511CE1AAB33.jpeg

DaltonGang, Timwcic, gssixgun and 2 others like this.
  14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Here’s a bit of a convoluted honing session. Kind of, sort of …..

Alex Gilmore gave me a kamisori a few years back, badly worn. I reground the omote on a water bottle with sandpaper (I seem to have misplaced my sen, lol) and that worked well but of course it needed multiple layers of tape to replace the soft iron that had been worn away. Those of us that dabble in Japanese knives know that the primary difference between a cheap one and an expensive one is the fit and finish, not the steel. And the maker of course. I once thinned, smoothed, and polished a $75 Masahiro Virgin Carbon just to see if I could make it like a much more expensive knife by hand. The answer is yes but it’s not really worth it for the time invested.

Kamisori are much smaller though, and I wanted to see if I could use an uchigumori fingerstone to polish and finish the razor. So I actually used the razor itself to form the fingerstone by laying sandpaper on the razor, grit up and so making a shaped uchigumori. Once I had the stone to my liking, I used a diamond plate to raise a little slurry from the back of the stone and placed it on the razor and rubbed away. How did it work? Quite well actually, The next to last (bad) image is a reflection of my kitchen lights in the kasumi finish on the omote. It would have been better if I’d polished the omote up to a finer grit before using the uchigumori, but this was an experiment so I’m good with the result.

Then the edge needed honing after all this experimenting, so one of Alex Gilmore’s hoard Nakayama koppas got the job and did very well indeed. The bevel was still a bit wide, so I used 4 layers (!) of electrical tape with 1 layer of 1 mil Kapton on top and that worked well. It shaved well too.

Kamisori are usually not highly finished, so it was a lot of fun to see if I could duplicate a sword-type finish.

61483C55-C0B4-4DC8-BACC-F223B2B5F0A3.jpeg E1F6D593-A573-4E42-9289-04323E2B9B97.jpeg 703D76DC-6434-449E-BF48-E3AF6391DE84.jpeg F7D1519D-650C-46E6-9045-87F5E14D4F59.jpeg

15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I’m getting the new Le Grelot Fleur d’Acier blade up and running. The images show the razor and blades with the new blade to the left or above. I removed the old blade by removing the screw of course, and tapping the back of the heel with a wooden spoon - this would be the choil if it were a knife. Don’t try to pull one of these out, and twisting might break the blade.The new blade fit in fine at the heel but not the toe, so I cleaned the groove in the spine at the toe with a few passes of 320 grit sandpaper, et voilà.

Always use tape on the spine - if the blades are not the exact same width, as in one has a little more wear than the other, you’ll be regrinding the spine every time that you change blades. And the spine on these are typically not hardened steel.

The next part is pretty standard to me, the edge looked decent so my progression was Shapton Glass 4k HR, 8k HC, and JNat. I was rewarded with silent HHT in or out.

A9134965-9E51-4714-8367-5E01EDF45409.jpeg 47715D7A-5D24-4CF2-989D-A758EF8B3098.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Working a bit more on the ‘on and off’ project, a nice old Wosty frameback. I lost about a bevel width to small chips and in doing so straightened the edge a bit too much, so yesterday’s job was to make the edge profile closer to the spine profile. Mostly done, the heel could be sloped a bit more I think, but that’s just a few minutes work.

320 DMT, Chosera 600, Shapton Glass 2k HR, SG 6k HC, JNat finisher.

3AB94D8F-29AA-4350-8FA8-83CC511D2078.jpeg

17. Timwcic

A Puma Special #89 on my newest Coticule. I am really starting to like this stone

966CA594-A506-4A46-9926-97D803CA721A.jpeg

18. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    SSA. Hones on Welsh Slates, finished on Surgical Black Ark. Nice edge!

DaltonGang, lottenhem and TestDepth like this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

The Robuso 216 Silver Steel by Perfectworks came in today, I cleaned it up a bit and decided to have some fun. I haven’t done a full Mikawa nagura progression in some time, Shapton Glass Stones can spoil you with their speed and range. The bevel set almost instantly on a Shapton Glass HC 4k, then a series of 3 Mikawa and one tomo got me where I wanted to be.

None of the Mikawas are Asano naguras, and two are completely unmarked. I got them in lots or with other stones and graded them myself - it isn’t difficult to do. They’re all pure and fast, they don’t take much more honing time than synths, and the mejiro is stellar, super fast and fine, and rivals any koma that I’ve had.

It was fun!

77A26DDD-202B-4F36-8C49-F5931F1F35C6.jpeg

DaltonGang, TestDepth and lottenhem like this.
  20. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Saturday exercise,
    Razors that have been honed:
    EDV Neiström No. 62
    Eriksson & Björklund
    SSA
    And on the Naniwa 3000 the Klas Törnblom, They are a struggle to hone due to the hardness. Feels like I should have a electrified grinder . If I don’t get it sharp This time I throw it out in the forest!
    [​IMG]

Nice view from my position however despite the nearly impossible Klas…
    [​IMG]

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

TestDepth and DaltonGang like this.