Micromatic Monday

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GAW9576, Dec 2, 2019.

1. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Great shave today with the Gem Micromatic Open Comb and a fifth use Gem SS PTFE blade. Also rocking the Momentum Base Layer today.

IMG_03052021_153313_(1050_x_1050_pixel).jpg

2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

A.S.Razor shave, May4th 2021(May the 4th be with you:rofl:)

Razor: Everready 1914 (AKA-Little lather catcher)- MFG 1914-17,1st gen, mid range, one of the best ER A.S.R razors made IMO.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(10) excellent blade, Very sharp, Great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap: Speick, excellent lather qualities, nice mild spicy scent.
    Brush: Yaqi 24mm boar bristle- shed a lot first and has become a great brush to lather with IMO, soft tips + nice handle.
    Pre shave: brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: Razorock blue barber with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= [​IMG]Excellent shave with my ER 1914 LLC with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Razor :
    Blade :
    Soap :
    Brush :
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results : or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday, May10th, 2021

Razor:
    Gem Feather-weight 1st gen-Mfg 1950-52,2nd Gen 53-54, excellent <mid range, easy to manipulate the face, very carefree shave this morning.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(1) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap: Ogallala Bayrum +sandal wood(some clove), great scent with great lather qualities + soap can be thirsty IMO.
    Brush: Yaqi Artic sky 24mm, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips+ great scrub(good backbone) IMO + great lather painter.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 +pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: Witch hazel(clean skin of soap) + Ogallala Bayrum & sandal wood + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] Excellent shave with 1st gen Gem Feather-weight with a new coated blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Ever-Ready (England) 1912 Razor
    Gem Stainless SE Blade
    Frank Shaving Boar Brush
    Cremo Refreshing Mint Shave Cream
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Lucky Tiger Aspen After Shave

Untitled.jpg

Ijustmissedthe50s, GAW9576 and Ron R like this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

A.S.Razor shave, Tue, May11th 2021, First Star lather catcher model made under the new merger American Safety Razor Corp in USA by the Kampfe brothers(Star brand) of Brooklyn NY, Gem & Everready. Star brand is know for its fine lather catchers and MFG first safety razors in USA & world!

Razor: Star bar #4 model lather catcher- Mfg 1919-20, excellent razor, <mid range, what a great razor to use, gives me great results and a joy to use and own one, seems like a rare model to find.
    blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable.
    Soap: Ogallala Bayrum & sandalwood(some clove)- nice sharp scent, + great lather qualities, soap can be thirsty for better performance IMO.
    Brush: Yaqi Chianti's 24 mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrub + great lather painter.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Post shave: Witch hazel + Ogallala Bayrum & sandalwood [​IMG]+ a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] Excellent shave with my Star bar with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these days, light at the end of tunnel!

6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, May17th, 2021, Daily Double! Gem Micromatic VS (New)Yaqi Excalibur shaving 1/2 face (Left side with Gem), both razors IMO are excellent daily drivers + also <midrange & give similar results. I gave the Gem Micromatic the tougher beard side because I know this razor well and just with feel testing the results were excellent with similar feels of both razors final results.
    The Gem is easier to load imo and the Yaqi is doable but a little more fidgeting with the tiny thinner blade.
    The Micromatic is at least 3 times the weight and built to last while the Yaqi has no brass in the head(Zamac) with a Aluminum handle with this model. Both razors are a joy to use and the Gem would be least expensive to operate over time with blade costs per 100pcs IMO. Both razors have no blade tabs exposed, another positive.
    This confirms my belief that the Gem Personna blades are just as sharp as the Feather blades & has a great proven record for longevity + both blades are excellent in proven sharpness IMO. Yaqi also makes a Excalibur model with a brass handle if you like weight or just use a stainless handle like some folks have done if you like heft. I like this Yaqi handle feel so it will stay for now.

Razor: Gem MicroMatic Flying wing SE - Mfg 1947-50, excellent mid range, great daily driver, built well, easy to load blade.
    Razor: Yaqi Excalibur SE- Mfg 2021> excellent mid range, great daily driver, harder to load, great feel to this razor IMO.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(4), excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable.
    Blade: Feather Professional AC 50mm(3), excellent blade, very sharp, smooth& sharp, longevity?.
    Soap: Razorock Blue barber, nice scent + excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Atlantis 24mm- excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, great backbone for scrubbing + excellent painter.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: cold water rise after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: Razorock Blue barber with witch hazel+ a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results Gem F.W: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers= [​IMG]excellent shave with my Micromatic Flying wing.
    Results Yaqi Excalibur: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG]excellent shave with my Yaqi Excalibur.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, May 24th 2021

Razor: Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf(Peerless version), excellent midrange, smooth glide, great results.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (5) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable.
    Soap: Gillette Pure cream, nice clean scent + great lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi 24mm HM Silvertip badger, excellent lather generator , soft tips, good scrub + great lather painter.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera Gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Post shave: Fine fresh Vetiver with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers= [​IMG] Excellent shave with my Gem MMCP with a coated gem blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Tue, May25th 2021

Razor: Gem Damaskeene OC- Mfg 1912-15 for the O.C, excellent razor, soft mid range, this razor really started the Gem razor Mfg in the right direction, after decades of only a few improvements they sold millions of different variants. Very enjoyable shave.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(6) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable.
    Soap: Tabac- nice mild clean scent + excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi High mountain silvertip badger 24 mm, makes some of the best lather, not a lather hog, soft tips with a just a gleamier of prickliness that changes from more use, great scrub + great lather painter. Very impressed with this badger brush + no funk.
    Post shave: Fine fresh Vetiver with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm,
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + 1 chin weeper= [​IMG]Excellent shave with my Gem Damaskeene 1912-15 the real McCoy with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday. May 31st, 2021, Memorial long weekend.

Razor: Gem Jr parade 1912 with baton handle- Mfg 1943, nice mid range, I like this handle a lot, care free shave this morning.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(8) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable.
    Soap: Razorock The Dead Sea- Unique scent + excellent lather qualities, one of my best favorite soaps any time of the year.
    Brush: Yaqi 26mm H.M 2band badger- Excellent lather generator, pillow soft tips with a nice scrub + great lather painter.
    Post shave: Razorock The Dead Sea after shave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers= [​IMG]excellent shave with my Gem parade 1912 with a coated GEM blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Ever-Ready WW II 24/14 Little Lather Catcher Razor
    Gem Stainless Steel Blade
    Ever-Ready #1 Boar (restored) Brush
    Victory Shaving Lemon-Lavender-Menthol Soap
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Barbasol After Shave

Untitled.jpg

Ron R, Ijustmissedthe50s and GAW9576 like this.
  11. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

A.S.Razor shave, Tue, June 1st 2021

Razor: Everready 1924(AKA shovelhead)- Mfg-1924-33, great mid range, different way of loading blades from back, once dialed in it will give excellent shaves and a joy to use with great audio feedback. Takes a regular Gem blade that is one of the best blades.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (9) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable.
    Soap: Gillette PURE cream, nice refreshing scent with great lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi 22mm Cola, 1st use of this new addition Den brush, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, not a lather hog, nice scrub + excellent lather painter. This would be a also for a excellent travel brush and regular Den use IMO.
    Prep: Cold water rinse rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG+ pickups.
    Post shave: Pinaud clubman with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] Excellent shave with my ER 1924 shovelhead with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  13. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, June 7th 2021

Razor: Gem Micromatic (MMOC)-1st gen(buttonless) 1930-32,2nd gen (Button shims) 1933-41, excellent mid range> I like to use this razor when # of shaves on a blade gets higher because it has a little more blade feel. Built to last and looks it, nice weight also. Solid brass.
    1st razor made to "Twist to open" in the world, very advanced for its time period.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(10) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap: Italian barber Amici- mild positive citrus scent, excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Red Zebra 26mm [​IMG] of all my synthetics brushes this one ticks all the boxes for my type of brush, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, just the right amount of backbone for a gentle scrub(no heavy pressure mashing will ruin any brush) + excellent lather painter which combines it to feel of high quality luxury feel when lathering.(it does not get much better for myself)
    Post shave: Italian barber Amici with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers =[​IMG]excellent shave with my MMOC buttonless with a coated blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

Ijustmissedthe50s and GAW9576 like this.
  14. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday, June 14th 2021

Razor: Gem Junior bar- Mfg 1907-11, excellent tame mid range razor, great carefree shave today, I get a lot of performance with a fairly new blade from this work of art razor. Good daily driver IMO.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) Very sharp, good longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable blade.
    Soap: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore, nice light Tabaco scent with vanilla scent + excellent lather conditions.
    Brush: Yaqi 24mm 2 band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow soft tips, great scrub + great lather painter. 24 mm is a good size knot or smaller for a badger, this brush is not a lather hog IMO.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap with a dollop of Clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Post shave: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG]Excellent shave with my Gem Jr bar with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

15. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I always did love the look of those Gem razors. Are they considered Micromatic too?

GAW9576 and Ron R like this.
  16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

No. Micromatics were the TTO razors issued 1930-49.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

GAW9576 likes this.
  17. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Ah. Okay. Saw it posted in this thread so I just assumed. Admittedly, I don't know much about Gem razors. Last time I tried to use one, about 10 years ago, it ate me alive. lol

GAW9576 likes this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Give it another go following the usual advice.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Ron R, GAW9576 and IAmTheJody like this.
  19. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

This razor was just before the Micromatics, this razor is a nice Tame mid range that is a joy to shave with. It will be a little smoother than the MMOC IMO. Have a great day and many great shaves.

GAW9576 and IAmTheJody like this.
  20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

A.S.Razor shave, Tue, June 15th 2021-(Synthetic-Summer brush, June)

Razor: Gem push-button-MFG 1958-65, excellent razor, tame mid range, one of the nicest looking razors Gem made. Great daily driver for some folks. One of my favorites in the early stages of a new blade usage .
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (3) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore, nice mild vanilla light smoke scent + excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi 24mm Cashmere knot, use this daily for over 2 years using CeraVe hand bar soap + once in a while like to use it with my shave soap lathering also. Hard brush to beat for daily use, very gentle around the eye area when face washing. This brush gets better with more use for softness. Excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, nicest gentle scrub + great lather painter. This brush turned me into a Yaqi Fanboy with the 24mm Cashmere knot & Tuxedo knots.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Post shave: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] excellent shave with my Gem push button with a Gem coated blade.
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!