Is it okay?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by IAmTheJody, Jun 16, 2021.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

A little while ago, I purchased two of each of the new latest Gillette DE razors, the Gillette Heritage and the King C. Gillette - One of each to use in my rotation and one of each staying sealed in their boxes, for collecting and in the display cabinet. There's really nothing special about them other than being Gillette's first DE razors in 30ish years. Who knows? 100 years from now they could be worth $1,500. Kind of sucks the Gillette Heritage being in that brown shipper box... Not too attractive in the display cabinet. lol

Is this okay? :D
    IMG_20210616_215838a.jpg

Dave in KY, brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I was thinking about getting the Heritage myself. Not sure if I'd use it, maybe to add it to my collection.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  3. IAmTheJody

I mean, my thinking is, if you are a serious Gillette collector, it only makes sense. I'm hardly a serious collector these days. Certainly not the hardcore collector I was 10 years ago. But if they are affordable, whether vintage or modern, I see no reason why not to.

Dave in KY, brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

absolutely..:) they finally acknowledged the many generations that put them on the map..in their own way of course.:D.some lowly tech sets are worth a bundle..;)

IAmTheJody likes this.
  5. jimjo1031

True, but since it shaves similar to an EJ89, all I'd have to do is use one of my EJ heads on a similar handle. Just my opinion. But I sure would be tempted to open it.

brit likes this.
  6. IAmTheJody

The temptation is what got me and why I ended up buying two of each. I couldn't stand it and opened the first two. I wanted to actually see and hold them, not the box they were in. And of course once they were open, then I had to use them. And then I had to replace the two open ones. hahaha

jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  7. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I've got a user and a display only Heritage as well.
    I didn't opt for the King C as I only wanted the best lol... and if they keep cranking out new ones I didn't want to keep buying their new lower quality razors
    My user is paired with a prewar tech head. Can't believe they went pot metal...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

IAmTheJody, jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

i almost bought a heritage but the common bar handle is one of their worst imo..wish they had replicated the ball end or fat tech handle in some format.similar era and way more recognisable.not to mention heavier..:)

IAmTheJody and jimjo1031 like this.
  9. jimjo1031

heavier would've been nice

IAmTheJody and brit like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

i agree..i guess the head heavy razor design helped someshavers find the proper angle? as the techs share the same trait,especially the brit fb ones.ball end fixed all that..;)

jimjo1031 and IAmTheJody like this.
  11. IAmTheJody

Pot metal because all the pieces are farmed out. Probably the only machinery they have left to make DE razors, is one or two units sitting in the Proctor and Gamble archive museum. And in this day, they aren't going to invest in a new division to start making them again. But they are smart. They haven't been blindsided by or ignored the wet shaving resurgence. I imagine the Heritage was a "kill two birds with one stone" - acknowledge their history with a limited edition DE and testing the waters to see how much more money they could make if they came out with a new everyday DE. And apparently the "more money" test was good enough hence the King C. DE razor.

jimjo1031 likes this.