Travel Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Joseph Crabtree, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Ok so I have been using a metal tube travel brush for a few years now. It's been overseas a few times and I take it evertime I go to the field. ( I am in the Army). It needs to be retired and a new one acquired. I would like it to be small or mini almost as I have limited space. Anyone have ideas?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Ijustmissedthe50s and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I honestly need more information. Do you have time to let a natural brush dry completely or are you always on the go? Do you want a travel tube to come with or not. Is material matter to you ie synthetic, boar or badger.

:eatdrink013:

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Mini? Go with the Simpsons Wee Scot
    It doesn't come with a container but it will fit in a very small prescription pill bottle and most pharmacies will give you one for free.
    Measurements: Brush Height 68mm, Handle Height 30mm, Knot Loft 38mm, Knot Diameter 13mm
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003B3UAM6/?tag=thshde-20

Nice informative thread by @PLANofMAN on the Wee Scot:
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-many-sizes-of-simpsons-the-wee-scot.46333/

The Simpsons Major is also a nice, small travel brush with container.
    Measurements: Brush Height 116mm, Handle Height 78mm, Knot Loft 38mm, Knot Diameter 17mm
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003B402BE/?tag=thshde-20

Ijustmissedthe50s and Enrico like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Also what knot size would you like.

6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

7. Just ordered the wee scot. I am hoping that will work. When I get back to civilization I can get into my kit and take photos of what I have and use currently.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

8. henrickd

henrickd Member

I get where you’re coming from. I used the same metal tube one you’re talking about for quite a while while in the Army. I finally decided space and weight was more important and bought a Wee Scot and used a pill bottle for travel storage. Last year I bought a custom 3D printed travel tube with air holes from the FrugalShave on Etsy. It fits the Wee Scot perfectly and has air holes. I’m sure it’s not convenient to set the brush out to dry since you said Army, not Air Force.

Tiny brushes like the Wee Scot take a little getting used to and some modification of your lathering technique but that’s the trade off for more space in your Dopp kit. I personally found the trade off worth it.

Here’s a picture of my field shave kit while new and unblemished. I just put the shave stick in a Zip Lock bag now. I kept breaking the original plastic cases.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    Umabill, Enrico, brit and 2 others like this.
  9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Drill a few small holes in the bottom and top of the pill container.

10. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

There are probably other options these days, but I use a Grooming Company Synthetic and I put it in a pill bottle. I did a video of my travel setup recently that I'll link below. You can still get those Grooming Company brushes at Shave Nation I think.

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have made several small brushes using a Cholula cap for a handle.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This one is from the big bottle with a synthetic knot.
    [​IMG]

Tedolph, Steve56, gwsmallwood and 4 others like this.
  12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

A Tulip 1 or Tulip 2 in a ventilated pill bottle is bigger, better, and almost as compact as ‘travel’ brushes. The Tulip 1 will fit in a small bottle, the bottle for the Tulip 2 is a bit over 100ml and I haven’t tried air travel with it, though it has a bazillion holes in it.

BC20D75C-38CA-4CCD-949B-CF28BADC53F6.jpeg

Daywalker, Enrico and Tedolph like this.
  13. Umabill

Umabill New Member

I love your Dopp kit. May I ask where you got your razor case? I really like it!