Simpson T1 versus 46-Berkeley

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by kfbrady, Jul 7, 2021.

1. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I recently bought a Simpson Trafalgar T1, the smallest of the three relatively new Simpson brushes, and I noticed that it was similarly sized to the 46 Berkeley in Best that I've been using for the last 3 or so years so I thought I'd do a comparison.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see that while they are basically the same size they are constructed quite differently. The T1 has a shorter handle but more loft, while the 46 - with some splay after a few years of use - has a taller handle and an appreciably smaller knot diameter.

When I measure the 46's knot right where it meets the handle I get 21mm, which is close to the usual published size of 20mm. My measurement of the T1's knot though is 26mm, a bit larger than the stated 23mm.

The T1's synthetic fibre is softer at the tips than the 46's while the 46's best badger has a little more spring to it, although the T1 makes up for it with the fibres being very densely packed. For me there is very little difference in face feel and both brushes are capable of whipping up more lather than I'll ever need.

With the T1 being a fast drying synthetic I thought I'd buy a Simpson case with it and use it as a travel brush. It fits into the Simpson small case as though it was made for it.

[​IMG]

So, I think that at $20 for the T1 and $5.50 for the case you could do a lot worse for a really nicely made travel brush.

In fact I'm so impressed with this Trafalgar line I can see the day coming when my badgers join my boars and horse hairs in the plastic shoebox under my bathroom vanity.

And just in case you were wondering how the T1 stacks up against its biggest brother, the T3...
    [​IMG]

The T3 is a giant. It's an excellent value at $30 but for me it's a little large. If Chubbys are your thing you should try one. I might reserve mine for painting the exterior of my house!

2. Campion

Campion Active Member

Is that the small Simpson travel tube they make for the Classic 1 or Duke 1, or is it the larger tube?

brit likes this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Nice description and comparison.

brit likes this.
  4. kfbrady

Yes, that Simpson small tube fits the Duke 1, Classic 1, Case 1 and Special, and of course the T1, and some others. The 46 is a pretty good fit in it too.

They also make 2 larger tubes.

brit and Campion like this.
  5. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Excellent information! Thanks for sharing!
    :eatdrink047:

brit likes this.
  6. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

Where does one find those tubes?

brit likes this.
  7. kfbrady

8. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

So I bought a Berkeley 46 in Best to put in a gift pack for my cousin to send back to Honduras, got here yesterday, I tried it, bought another for the gift pack. Actually a pretty good brush.

kfbrady and IAmTheJody like this.
  9. kfbrady

I agree about the Berkeley. It’s a terrific medium/small brush at a decent price for a handmade Simpson. Mine is going strong after over 3 years of frequent use.

jay_gatz and IAmTheJody like this.