War of the Adjustables!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Michael_W, Oct 10, 2020.

?

Which Adjustable Razor Do You Prefer?

1. Gillette Fatboy/Slim/Other

37 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. Merkur Progress

14 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Parker Variant

8 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. PAA Ascension Twist-Adjustable Double Open Comb

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. Vikings Blade Emperor Augustus/Crusader/Meiji

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. Other (Comment Below)

29 vote(s)
    37.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I forgot that I have The TAR (Tom's Adjustable Razor). It is a real heavy weight that gets the job done easily providing a work out at the same time. I also have the Bunny V3, a Rockwell 6C, and a Supply Provision. And at this writing, I have a Merkur Progress on its way to join my den. When it gets here, I will have 10 different adjustables of various types.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    wristwatchb, twhite, Tdmsu and 2 others like this.
  2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Beautiful razor. And his Bunny injectors too. @twhite made some fantastic looking razors for sure! I was missing in action during all of that and found myself at one point searching around where I could buy a TAR and Bunny V2 or V3. Found out obviously they were very limited production. lol

Jayaruh and twhite like this.
  3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Thank you for the kind words. i love coming up with new razors. I however have zero interest marketing anything. Not my cup of tea.

If you ever want to try any of my creations. Please feel free to just ask.

wristwatchb, Jayaruh and IAmTheJody like this.
  4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I just finished another adjustable. This one is based off of a razor I made for @Primotenore it is a devette that holds the blade completely flat. I tried to make it as simple as possible.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wristwatchb, BamaT, Hembree and 6 others like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Very interesting, Tom. I love the name, TARMAX.

6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Maximum blade support.

Soooooo hard thinking of names.

Hembree, jimjo1031 and Jayaruh like this.
  7. IAmTheJody

Very interesting. So you turn the handle to a number and that adjusts the blade gap or blade angle?

Hembree and twhite like this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Let's not forget his slant..(which I used today).[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

twhite, IAmTheJody and brit like this.
  9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Gap. It is just a simple lifting of the blade above the safety bar.

Blade angle adjustment is an interesting concept.

jmudrick and brit like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

i have always thought that an adjustable razor wasn't necessary as the blade is what cuts the whiskers.yes,a wider gap allows thicker whiskers or longer growth to be cut,but a proper technique will allow a decent shave in a pass or 2.blade exposure or how much a blade sticks out from between the cap and plate is the bigger factor.that said. i do have a gillette slim i like to use once in a while.,just to keep my foot in..;)beyond that it's gadgetry..:D

twhite likes this.
  11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Very true proper technique and you will be successful with most any razor. That being said. For me I like using a different razor every shave. Keeps things interesting for me.

As for my razors I make. They are for my personal interest in a particular idea. This one will not be for the vast majority of users. As it comes completely apart when changing blades. So those who do not like fiddling with things will hate this one. You will most certainly get a runaway spring.

Those however who love tinkering and fully cleaning their tools. This is the one for them.

12. IAmTheJody

Curious if you plan on making any more TAR or Bunny V2? As I understand the Bunny V2, one can swap out the handles? I would definitely love to take them for a test drive but would hate to fall head over heels for either if you aren't going to make anymore. lol

One thing I have always wanted is a regular normal Schick type injector head that uses regular injector blade key magazine, that I can use my own handles with. I really think someone would have a hit record winner if they would come out with just a regular Schick type injector head with a standard thread post for use with any handle.

Apologies to everyone for getting off topic...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    Edison Carter and brit like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

absolutely..:):eatdrink047: variety rules.especially self built.i always thought a bold gent could cut the safety bars off a tech..cap and blade left exposed..should remove aeverything at skin level.me ? not so brave..;)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    Edison Carter likes this.
  14. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

No plans on making more. Vlasta was trying to get the Bunny made but nothing came of it. As for the others. I have no plans on making more. I ended up making 26 I believe of the Bunny V3. All my other razors I only made 1 to 4 of them. If I had multiples I gave the extras to those running the pass arounds. I have also given some to my son.

shoot me a PM with your addy and I will send a few your way to tryout. If you want.

15. IAmTheJody

PM sent. Very much appreciated!

twhite and brit like this.
  16. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

I love my Gillette Toggle, Slim and Super Adjustable razors. The Vikings Blade Emperor is good. I’d also add the Rockwell T2 in my list of favorite modern adjustable razors along with the PAA Ascension. All of them give me great shaves.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  17. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

The Toggle is my favorite of all the vintage Gillette razors because it’s mechanism is so unique and was the beginning of the adjustable Gillette razors. The VB Emperor is comfortable even at its highest levels but can be wonky when adjusting. The T2 I find to be a great improvement over the Model T.

Edison Carter and IAmTheJody like this.
  18. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I just added to my adjustable arsenal. This is my first and only Merkur adjustable, the Progress. It came without packaging, but it looks pristine. I will put it in next weeks line up.

Progress_07.JPG

19. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

I tried many adjustables but nothing appealed to me until I tried the Rocnel Sailor 2020 and 2021

LOOT likes this.
  20. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Great razor Jim. You will really like it.