What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Thank you Gary.

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

My user grade Filarmonica 14 DT has been getting a workout lately. Today I’m testing a coticule edge.

Fendrihan had a sale + coupon, so I decided to get a 8x3 coticule for knives since I do not have a coti that large. $265 US shipped with a slurry stone wasn’t a bad price for a 1/2” thick consistent coticule. Of course when it arrived I wanted to know if it was razor grade, sometimes you get lucky. Not this time really.

The shave was a typical non-finessed coti shave, not the shave from the best coti. It worked and shaved well enough but smooth shaving it really wasn’t, ATG was really better than the first pass WTG. The finished skin was smooth. What it reminded me of was my Filarmonica 14 Sub Cero with 153 shaves on it!

I bought it for cutlery though and it should be great for that. Soap was ABC hard soap and the AS was ABC almond balm.

5156AB98-9CB1-4260-AC54-5E19A50EBA47.jpeg 7FB9B8DC-9AC8-48E0-A714-9703DB47B7E7.jpeg

b1hart, Billyfergie, gssixgun and 7 others like this.
  3. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Touched up the edge on a freshly lapped 1000 grit side of the 15k Welsh slate. Did notice an improvement in the edge. Sharp and smoother! Think my set up is complete if it keeps edges like this!
    Brush: White Horse Hair Shaveforge Knot
    A/S: Mentholated witch hazel

4. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Did you get a piece to use to make a wet grit on the coticule to see if that works better? Maybe the grade is just a finisher.

Steve56, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  5. TestDepth

Had some fun with this razor…
    Alex Jacques custom (late 2010)
    Brush: McPhail shift knob
    Suds & Splash: Wholly Kaw Rebelle

I have a thing for these older customs. Always had my eyes peeled for this maker, but don’t see them often. Joe Edson mentioned being inspired by Alex’s work, and I can see why.

It had been a while since it had been used, so it required some work, but the edge wasn’t to far off.

11CD310F-EF15-4A61-8EE0-726872A3D928.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

b1hart, Zykris, Billyfergie and 4 others like this.
  6. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Simple yet effective

The smaller size 45mm Tosuke Traditional Kamisori
    Colonel Conk Amber Shave Soap
    Semogue 1305 boar brush
    Lather on the Face
    Finish with Classic Mennen Original splash

[​IMG]

lindyhopper66, b1hart, Zykris and 4 others like this.
  7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Yesterday, Le Grelot Coupe Celeste, cream was SMN lathered with a Tulip 3 two-band, and a splash of Agua Balsamica finished things up.

Sunday morning shave, Filarmonica 14 Medallon Taurino, soap was MdC rose lathered with a Keyhole 3, and Czech and Speake 88 topped off a fine Sunday shave.

3AF5E424-BB1F-47AF-87E6-DA780D7499CF.jpeg A91ACEC6-54E2-49AD-8DA2-B37A908C0937.jpeg

8. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Monday morning shave, Ralf Aust Rosewood.
    Splash Boss The Scent.
    [​IMG]

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

9. TestDepth

Took the new Shorty for its maiden voyage…
    J.R. Torrey “Our Beauty”
    Brush: Heritage Collection
    Suds & Splash: Shannon’s Soaps Fig & Apricot

18597DB2-AB0F-4EAB-B092-F090312439FA.jpeg
    Since I worked on the strop, why not give it a go. More suede like now after the sanding but did a decent job.

DB8F830A-692C-49D3-8E3B-A51E76807344.jpeg

Could definitely use this for a travel set up. :)
    Enjoy your shave (and projects)
    Tom

10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

6/8 Nelson JWest razor honed on the butterstick kiita, cream was Musgo Real lavender lathered with a 2-band Duke copy, and a splash os SMN lavanda complimented the cream nicely. Wonderful shave this morning.

76BAC34C-9D70-4510-862A-1B9A4C3C8F79.jpeg

lindyhopper66, b1hart, Zykris and 5 others like this.
  11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Yes, it came with a slurry stone, but in almost all cases (actually every case that I know of/heard of) slurry makes a less keen edge though it cuts faster.

Karl G likes this.
  12. taskind

taskind Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

lindyhopper66, Karl G, b1hart and 4 others like this.
  13. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Tanifuji Maxfli 5000 stainless, soap was ABC hard soap and the balm ABC almond. BDBS!

C496D470-682E-4885-B28D-C460A6701EB5.jpeg

14. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Monday 7/19
    july192021.jpg

Tuesday 7/20
    july202021.jpg

15. TestDepth

Went back to some smaller Heljestrands…
    MK57 & 4R
    Brush: Whipped Dog
    Suds & Splash: Shannon’s Soaps Fig & Apricot
    Finish: Ferrari Noble Fig
    I am falling in love with this scent from Shannons. :)
    E534D825-5474-4735-8C5A-62469F845110.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

16. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Doing like Tom, my shortened CVH MK No.30 for the first pass. The thin Klas for the second pass. Splash Boss the Scent.
    [​IMG]

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Karl G, Steve56, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  17. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Battle of the Blades
    Pitted my FW Engels (left) vs my SSA (right)
    Both have had same edge treatments as far as finishers and stropping.
    Went with my JR316 Two band badger and Sterling’s Port AubPrince Soap with menthol aftershave. Two passes.
    I have to say that both left me with nice smooth skin. The SSA on the left side of my face went nice and smooth! Really liked how the edge was. The right side of my face had the Engels. That baby was sharp! I had to a little more careful. It wasn’t a harsh edge, just keen and sharp. In this battle, I’m leaning more towards the SSA for over all. Enjoy your shaves!

Karl G, lottenhem, DaltonGang and 4 others like this.
  18. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Filly Sub Cero, soap was Williams South African rose stick lathered with a Wolf Whiskers Eagle with a Shavemac Finest knot. A splash of Myrsol Plastic Shave finished up.

8FDCB910-FF36-42CA-8E2A-EFCBAA12FCA8.jpeg

19. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Your thoughts on the Myersol Plastic would be appreciated.
    For reasons I can not explain I am irrationally attracted to the Myersol line the way a young boy is attracted to an exotic Asian girl.

Karl G and Steve56 like this.
  20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I like Myrsol a lot, at least the less mentholated ones, my ‘daily drivers’. The performance of Plastic is great, as all that I’ve tried are. The scent is some kind of an odd rose, but someone on B&B described it years and years ago as the scent of a fresh TV Guide while sitting on a warm naugahyde couch. That’s actually pretty close lol. It isn’t strongly scented or mentholated. The founder of the company reportedly used it all his life.

jgreenepa, Karl G and Tedolph like this.