Unicorn Razor Club (URC)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Jun 6, 2021.

1. brit

brit in a box

Interesting,there were so many variants/modifications..

Dave in KY likes this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

If this isn't a unicorn it sits right on the fence.

Gillette Red Dot Fat Boy

[​IMG]

IAmTheJody and koenfucius like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Some Autostrop unicorns.

A2 model
    [​IMG]

Here is a Type A I've never seen before except in this catalog.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

It is on page 2 and is the floral handle Type A that was included in sets 150 - 152. The catalog is supposed to be from about 1910.

IAmTheJody, brit and koenfucius like this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

One more single edge that I think is a unicorn, if not it is still a very uncommon razor to come across. Far as I know Ever Ready only produced these in England.

Ever Ready 1909. The shovel head before there were shovel head razors.
    1909a.jpg 1909b.jpg

IAmTheJody, PanChango and brit like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I only have the British version but I believe they were also issued as Yankee razors in the US. I think that's even more unicorny. The American patent application was made in 1909 about six months after the British.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    twhite and brit like this.
  6. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

So I've been told I fit into this Club. I may have more unicorn razors but I'm not as knowledgeable as most of you to know what qualifies. Here's my A2 Auto Strop
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Jayaruh, IAmTheJody, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

If they did it isn't what would be called a known quantity among collectors.

Hembree likes this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Au contraire. Sorry for the low rez photos but here ya go. Known at least to some collectors on TOST.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jayaruh, twhite, PLANofMAN and 4 others like this.
  9. Clouds

Clouds Active Member

Another one that I am not too sure if its a Unicorn or not.
    1912 Roberts Safety Razor. This one is missing the strop and stropping handle. I didn't get a blade with it so milled the little piece of aluminium so that it fits into the head and centers uo a standard DE blade. The head pivots on a ball.
    This one is also a Flip top, so 16years before the Gaisman patent.

How does it shave: Its a very mild shaver with standard DE blades.

Roberts.jpg

Jayaruh, IAmTheJody, BBS and 4 others like this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

First time I seen that. Thanks for posting. Figures it would be a TOST of all places. I've never seen a mention of a Yankee shovel head type razor on any other forum until now. If the Every Ready 1909 isn't a unicorn that Yankee variant certainly qualifies then.

11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Bird Lives also posted here about it sans photos a few years ago indicating there is also an R&S version from the same period. The ads I found for the Yankee were from 1911-1912.

Hembree likes this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Learn something new every day. I think what we can ascertain here is the Every Ready branded versions were only sold in England, Europe and maybe Canada / Australia depending how they did distribution and the Yankee branded ones in the US. The R&S one more documentation would be needed to say for sure.

Hembree likes this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Right. Bird Lives would be your guy there , I don't find anything about the R&S version and from what I recall Reichard and Scheuber only existed '03-'04 so it doesn't seem likely to me.

14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I've never seen one before.

15. Clouds

Clouds Active Member

One Unicorn, the other pretty close..
    Darwin Adjustables
    Darwin "Standard" and "Popular"

And how do they shave: Both mild shavers.
    Adjustability is limited with modern blades

Darwin Adjustables-s.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    tonich, brit, BBS and 2 others like this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The Popular one yeah the standard debatable. You do see standard ones come up for sale on a semi regular basis but almost never the populars.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Not my razor but I think this one deserves consideration as a possible unicorn. I've only seen a handful of these come up for sale.

bar1.jpg bar2.jpg

The Barbasol floating and non floating head 2 piece razors are fairly common but not this one. There is also a less common 2pc Barbasol razor with a plastic handle but I don't think it is rare enough to qualify as a unicorn but I happened to have found a full set that sold recently. I'll post pics since in this case the overall set puts it into a debatable unicorn.

bar1a.jpg bar2a.jpg bar3.jpg

18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yankee became Gem, or ASR (American Safety Razor), can't remember what came first anymore.

brit likes this.
  19. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Got one of them Floating Head recently and seen 2 others for sale. BST and the Bay. Come in spurts I guess :happy088:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    brit likes this.
  20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The older (pre-Conrad patent) Barbasol is definitely unicorny. I doubt it's an exceptional shaver but I need one.

BBS and brit like this.