Synthetic Brushes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Hercule, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

I've been away from the online wet-shaving world for quite a while (yes, I've been wet shaving all along) and since coming back I've noted a tremendous boost in the stature of synthetic brushes. When did this happen? It seemed that previously boar and synthetics were universally vilified by the shaving cognoscenti. Us lesser shaving mortals were told badger was the only real way to go, one might as well switch to an electric razor otherwise. Maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but synthetic shaving knots weren't overly respected for sure.

My dad used a synthetic (a nylon bristle Everready 400n) all along. The best I can tell, he bought it in the early 60s and only retired it around 2010, a couple years before he passed away. I have it and it's pretty worn down, at maybe 2/3 the original loft. It's absolutely unusable and feels like a wire brush. I'm going to keep it as he last used it, so I recently bought a considerably less worn duplicate to use. It's pretty scratchy too so at some point I'll get a modern synthetic knot put in it. (any suggestions?)

I've long since switched over to synthetic myself, using an inexpensive 25mm synthetic Chess brush from TurnNshave (via Etsy). Works great, better than my FS Badger actually.

I really don't want this to be a synthetic brush appreciation thread. Can someone talk about the apparent rise in popularity of synthetic shaving knots?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    Enrico, brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  2. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

RazoRock Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush

brit likes this.
  3. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

Forgive me, but, what about it?

Perhaps I should edit my original post.

4. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

I think the reply was a recommendation to this

brit and DrStrange like this.
  5. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

With the rise in quality of synthetics and all the horror stories about badger hair and some places talk of banning the harvesting of badger hair , people are finding they like the convenience of synthetics. The fact of not being cruel to the animals and not having to pre soak them and that they dry quickly are appealing to some.

danbuter, Tdmsu, brit and 3 others like this.
  6. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

Thank you. With no point of reference it just came across to me as a non sequitor.

brit, Ijustmissedthe50s and jaro like this.
  7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

The Plisson synthetic was the catalyst. It was the first great synthetic, but it was pricey. Once Stirling and RazoRock started sourcing the same fibers in affordable brushes, everyone's perceptions changed very quickly.

imGrunt, brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  8. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

When was this, roughly speaking?

brit likes this.
  9. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I tried The Body Shop synthetic, I'd consider it gen 2 as opposed to the nylon old school ones being gen 1. That was about 10 years ago and it was pretty poor. They have figured the synthetic game out since then and they lather just fine in my opinion, now. I'd say within the last 5 years or so the producers have figured out comparable synth bristles.

I rarely use pork or badger anymore. And the money saved....

Terry, brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  10. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I think it was in 2015 that the Plisson came out, then it was the end of that year or early 2016 when the Stirling and Razorock brushes came out if I remember properly.

Tdmsu and brit like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

i like and have a few synthetics,mainly the "tuxedo" knots in most of them.even Simpson makes a fine synthetic brush line now..

12. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

I agree with regard to classifying synthetics by generation. Makes perfect sense, though there maybe more delineations. I don't remember those old nylon first gen brushes sure being so firm (from what I remember of using my dad's). Though maybe best not to judge them by how they feel today. I can imagine that nylon bristles might become stiff with age. It seems odd that it took so long for softer synthetic bristles to make their way into (and to become popular) shaving brushes. They've been in makeup brushes all along. I wonder if there is any industry literature (advertising or otherwise) commenting on it.

Omega has offered a synthetic bristle brush all along. Where would they be placed in the progression? From what I can see they haven't changed in the face of the newer artisan synthetic knots. Anybody have any experience with Omega synthetics.

I suspect it has been a convergence of different streams - the modern increased desire for more ethically/humanely harvested hair for knots (though horse hair has offered this) and the advent of modern synthetic bristles suitable for shaving brushes (advantageously offering no funk/ just lather and go).

13. brit

brit in a box

while i have only used de razors for a relatively short time,-2016- i have used a brush/soap combination since 2005.a wilkinson boar was the only choice available locally.not the best or worst by todays standards ,it did the job.not experienced an early synthetic before but did see a gillette nylon one.it looked like a pot scrubber.

14. Ky K

Ky K Well-Known Member

First admittedly I am a snob about it. I am in it for the luxury.
    Synth brushes have been around for like 70 years. They always were trash but the companies really wanted to take advantage of both the newly created nylon and the new “modern” fad. Toothbrush was right! Or pot scrubbers
    Now, being a engineered fiber will eventually give them the edge in overall quality and performance. I had got one to try them used it twice and PIF it a Boss Game Changer.
    For me? I’m all about the high end Badger and boar. The feeling is what I want not worried about fast drying and maintenance.
    If I had a true need of what synth offered I would have one on the spot. I got a Yaki for my girlfriend for travel (takes care of grandma on the weekends) and 2 Silvertip for home. The Yaki is perfect for the weekend zero maintenance lather building tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ijustmissedthe50s, Tedolph and brit like this.
  15. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

Those with a strong badger bias (not necessarily a pejorative term) are not likely to objectively recognize let alone be swayed by the merits/advantages of a synthetic brush. I would submit, there is likely another perception at work, and that's perfectly fine.

Such would make a fantastic opportunity for blind test. Now THAT would be interesting!

battle.munky and brit like this.
  16. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

I want to say this respectfully but I don't know how: I think it is a fad. I have tried synthetics on and off over the years, and I have one now for travel. Tuxedos, Plissons, etc. While they are better than they used to be I don't see the point. A very good boar bristle brush costs less than $20.00. Once broken in, the tips will become very soft and split with hooks on the end to lift your beard. The bristles themselves are hydophilic and thus hold even more warm water when soaked. A synthetic brush will never get split tips and the hydrophobic polymer will never become hydrophilic. No matter how much you soak it it will not hold any more water. So the synthetic will never be equivalent to the boar no matter what the price. Oh, and now the good synthetics are twice the price of a good boar. So does the synthetic have any advantages? Yes. It dries faster and is not an animal product.

Nevertheless, I will probably always use a boar bristle brush even though I am a vegetarian. Go figure.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  17. brit

brit in a box

i agree.omega boars are a favorite.most things are fads these days.gillette adjustables,cartridge razors,cars that park themselves,etc.;)

awk-m4, battle.munky and Tedolph like this.
  18. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

But is all that really true? Or are these just perceptions? Will synthetic tips not fray? Is synthetic fiber not capable of conveying moisture, if / if not capable of absorbing water? I really don't know. I'm just posing the question.

For what it's worth, I created a great lather last night with my synthetic brush. I put some warm water on a puck in a mug (Provence de Sante) which I poured off, then, with a completely dry brush, charged the brush and face lathered. I judiciously dipped the brush to moisten to create a lather that I liked. I think I'm beginning to think I might prefer a dryer lather (or my lathers have previously been too wet).

19. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

I suppose time will tell whether its a fad or a trend.

20. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

That's a good question to ask. What is the point? Individually defined and reasoned for sure. Options are good certainly.