Thinking ahead and need your advice..

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Tedolph, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

I failed as a member of the "No buy 2021" thread when I bought a NOS set of vintage Seaforth! Shave stuff:
    Seaforth Shaving Set.jpg

Nevertheless, the frugal and judicious impulse is strong in me. So, I tend to limit myself to four seasonal aftershaves and three seasonal soaps. As a result of the No-Buy effort I have now run out of Clubman Classic (my go to spring AS), have a half bottle of Whiskey Woods (my fall AS), maybe a quarter bottle of VIBR (my winter AS), and a half bottle of Italian Citrus (my summer AS). I have a precious few spritzes of my beloved Pino Silvestre which I save for after an electric razor touch up (I would probably classify it as a fall AS). As should be apparent from the above, I will soon be out of my summer, winter and Pino after shaves.

So.......I am thinking (OK fantasizing) about what to get when I run out of those things. I can not buy anything "artisan" or "high class" as it just seems too indulgent-I would hate it every time I looked at it. I am fine with drugstore brands as long as they have some cache', e,g. Clubman (but not Old Spice or Aqua Velva-Brute might be OK), or are foreign drug store brands, e.g. Cella, Prorasso (but not Tabac). Things like Myrsol (even though I have never experienced any of them-oh those bottles and colors!) and Pino seem to have a magical appeal to me. Maybe Musgo Real?

Have tried some lime stuff but I was not impressed. Loved The Veg but it is not a favorite of the ladies. I keep it in my travel kit. Maybe "cheap exotic" is what I like?

Any suggestions?

2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Brut is nice but i really dont know.. florida water? But i think its a cologne

3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Pinaud citrus musk
    Speik

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    4711. Probably make a good summer splash for you. I prefer the original, but for a knockoff, 4711 ain't bad, and it's cheaper, and it's been around since 1799.

I can't believe I'm calling a fragrance that's been around for over 200 years a knockoff, sad but true. The original is Johann Maria Farina gegenüber dem Jülichs-Platz Original Eau de Cologne and it's been around since 1709.

Then there's Jean Marie Farina by Roger & Gallet Extra Vieille Eau De Cologne, another knockoff made since 1806. It's almost as expensive as the original.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    brit, johnnyflake, Tedolph and 2 others like this.
  6. Tedolph

Thank you gentlemen!

@Jorvaljr: Florida water is one of those cheap exotics that appeals to me but I am not sure what it really is? A splash? An aftershave? A hair tonic?
    @Battle.Monkey: I have tried Lime Sec and it didn't do anything for me-I'm just not crazy about lime.
    @PLANofMAN: 4711 sounds interesting. Is it a true aftershave? I don't like the idea of colognes and like the post shave feel of aftershaves like the Clubman line, Pino, etc. that have true medicaments in them like linalool that actually help your face heal.

BTW, I hate balms-way too greasy for my complexion.

7. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

Take a look at the Stirling Aftershaves, they have many to chose from, with loads of reviews and information.

The, they have many, many available in samples, at very cheap prices. You can buy samples of what sounds
    go to you and try them out, before buying the larger bottles.

I personally like Florida Water, in the Summer Months, as well as many others.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Tedolph like this.
  8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Stetson Cooling Moisture
    Tabac
    Brut

*guess I need to edit this since I didn't see that you ruled out Tabac

change my Tabac suggestion to either British Sterling or English Leather

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It's a true cologne, which means it has more aromatics than an aftershave. I don't know if it contains beneficial ingredients for post-shave care. The scent is fleeting, and will last a half hour at most, being mostly citrus and floral based.

Ron R likes this.
  10. Tedolph

Hmmm.......
    well so far Citrus Musk, Brute and maybe Tabac are leading. I am told that Brute smells a lot like Clubman Classic. If that is the case then I would just get another bottle of Clubman as it is my favorite.

@jonnyflake: is Stirling "British Stirling " that used to be advertised on the TV with the girl on the horse?

Can anybody comment on the Myrsol line or Musgo Real? Cella aftershave. Proraso Red?

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  11. John Beeman

Tedolph likes this.
  12. Tedolph

Thanks John.

13. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

It's Stirling as in StirlingSoapco.Com or StirlingSoap.Com

If you have never used any of there stuff, Creams, Soaps, Aftershaves, Colognes, etc. You have No Idea what you've been missing!

14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Gotta chime in with this statement. The Fabergé Brut, as seen here:
    IMG_8866.jpeg
    shares the "DNA" of a Fougère with Clubman in name only. In reality, Brut is King.

15. John Beeman

time to build more shelves

16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

My choices .........

Pinaud Lime Musk
    Pinaud Special Reserve

:eatdrink047:

Ijustmissedthe50s and IAmTheJody like this.
  17. Tedolph

@Enrico: hmmmmm........Special Reserve......

18. Tedolph

Hi Johnny,

I took a moment to check out Stirling. It isn't the"British Stirling" I remember from the TV ads in the 60's. It doesn't appear to be a mass market drug store type product so it is probably out for me. Thanks for your suggestion though!

19. Tedolph

Clubman Musk anybody?

20. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I like Jovan musk or Aqua Velva musk better but Clubman isn't awful.