How do you try out a new razor?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Hercule, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

I’d be interested to hear how people try out new razors. Do you do you have a routine that you do? Do you use the new razor in pace with your regular shaving schedule or do you let the stubble grow out a bit or even more significantly? How long is your trial period? You probably have a good idea about the razor after the first shave, but do you give it more time/shaves? Do you alternate shaves with a trusted razor for comparison? Do you shave one side with the new razor and the other with the old?

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I just load a new blade and use it.
    I'll run it 5 days straight instead of rotating to a different razor every day. Nothing extra to the routine.

Eeyore, gorgo2 and brit like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I load a blade in it that I'm used to using to form a baseline opinion of the shave. In the past that was Wilkinson Sword, which is a supremely 'average' blade.

Nowadays I use Astra SP's, since I can't buy Wilkies at the local Wal-Mart anymore.

If the razor feels too aggressive, I'll switch to a milder blade, like Voskhod. If it feels too mild, I'll switch to Feathers. If it still feels more aggressive than I prefer, I set the razor aside for a couple years and try it again later.

I usually can tell how a razor is going to shave within a stroke or two. When I first started out, it took a shave or two. The more razors you try, the faster you will be able to dial in your preferences.

4. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

I can't change razors that much anymore because it throws me off my angle - when I find one that really works I use it a long time. I really wish I can keep a consistent angle on my DE's but it's so frustrating.

brit, Jorvaljr, Tedolph and 1 other person like this.
  5. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

My reference test bed:

Gillette Ball End Tech Razor or SuperSpeed
    Derby Extra (pre-2016) Blade
    Williams Mug Soap or Nivea Men shave cream
    Semogue 830 boar or Maggard 2-band badger

These are the products I've used most and am most familiar with, not necessarily the best in class.
    Any new product replaces its counterpart in that list.
    So, for example, to test out a new razor, I'd pair it with Derby, WMS, and Semogue.
    After that, based on that initial shave, I'd decide what else might go well with it.

brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I will shave as I normally do, assuming it is a TYPE of razor that is familiar to be (e.g. a new DE.) For me, that’s a shave in the shower.

With a different type, such as the shavettes that are new to me, I preferred to try them sitting in a chair by the sink. That allows me to wear my reading glasses.

In either case, I use the same products I always use.

brit, Terry and PLANofMAN like this.
  7. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

This is me accept it's always my known blade... Wizamet. Know within a few strokes bit always after the first shave I pretty much know if I like it or not. I shave every day so no reason to wait for more stubble to test a razor.

brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

If it’s new I pop a blade in and give it a go the first time I shave after it arrives. Whatever blade might be at hand, nothing special.

If it’s preowned (new to me) it gets used after I’ve had a chance to clean it up so that might be a day or two or even longer if I acquire more than one at the same time.

And then I’ll shave as many times with it as I feel like before finding a spot for it amongst the others.

Comparisons against others is usually pretty general since I have too many to keep track of.

Edit* I guess I should add if the first shave or two isn’t great I will change blades to see if that makes a difference.

brit likes this.
  9. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

All of the above depending on how long I have the razor. I've actually been doing this a lot the past few months since starting the YouTube channel.
    1. I always start with a fresh Perma-Sharp Super blade, which is my favorite. I usually start with a head shave and do a single WTG pass. This gives me the best idea of how efficient the razor is in relation to all of my other razors.
    2. I'll then do a face shave the following day with the same blade, 1 pass WTG, 1 pass XTG. I can generally get the same DFS results with almost any razor with this routine on my face, so this is really a comfort evaluation.
    3. Depending on how the first couple of shaves went, I'll either choose a new blade or I'll just load a fresh Perma-Sharp Super. I'll do a single-pass XTG head shave. This further dials in the efficiency level as well as the effective attack angle. It's hard to maintain the exact same precise angle all the time when shaving your head, which is why I prefer more aggressive/efficient razors on the dome. They generally give a much wider effective angle.
    4. Repeat the face shave from step 2 for final thoughts.
    5. If I struggled with anything in particular, then I'll spend a few more shaves trying to sort it out.
    6. If there are any specific viewer requests, or if I just feel the need to satisfy my own curiosity, I'll do a side-by-side shave using one or more of the first 3 techniques above. I have a playlist of side-by-side battles on my YouTube channel.

brit likes this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Water ..... soap ..... blade

:eatdrink047:

Troy M, gorgo2, chazt and 3 others like this.
  11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I usually try out a new razor by shaving with it. If it gives me a BBS shave, its a keeper. If it slices my face to ribbons, like a pogonotomial reincarnation of Jack the Ripper, then it is a no go.

12. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

I avoid carbs, eat more fresh fruit and vegetables, and carefully control my breakfast meal portions. I workout, do some cardio, and shave like I do every other morning.

gorgo2, John Beeman, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

i load my favorite blade-gillette Russian- and go.first few strokes i find it's angle.i usually change my razors daily.if it's not a DE i take a little more time to dial it in-SE/injectors i only use occasionally and i leave the blade in until dull.

14. chazt

chazt Well-Known Member

Like most, a fresh blade I like and know well. Same thing with brush, soap and aftershave. As was mentioned above, after the first few strokes I generally know if it will work for me. If I like it, it’s a keeper and goes I tothe rotation. If I don’t enjoy using it, I will give it another 2, maybe 3 trial shaves, each separated by a few days to a week or so. At that point, if I still don’t enjoy the razor it’s either PIFfed or sold.

brit likes this.
  15. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I can’t remember.

Let me go buy just one more and get back to you.
    :cool:

16. Bflotom2

Bflotom2 Active Member

I trial all new razors using the same method…I load an Astra SP, I lather with Nivea. Within the first or second stroke I’ll know whether the razor will stay around and visit the regular team of other razors.

I don’t change the lather or the blade if the razor doesn’t pass muster. If the razor with the Astra wants to use my face for target practice changing the blade will not change much. Astra is the blade I use most and I don’t want to adjust and purchase another 100 blades of something else to make this razor fit into my routine. It’s easier to just dispose of the razor; sell or pitch it. If the razor is too light a shaver I might try another blade but seldom does the initial test results change. I am careful before I purchase new equipment, reading reviews. Letting someone else take the fall.

brit likes this.
  17. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

It's fairly straightforward. I apply a little more Kung Fu on the first couple of shaves. I'm usually somewhere between Rock Star and Jedi Master with it by that point.

Most of the time, I'll use a new-to-me razor for at least a month.

18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

19. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Same way I use my old one, might be a little heavier or lighter but my hand always remembers the angle I shave with.

20. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Well, my last new razor has been my only razor for about 5 months.

IAmTheJody likes this.