Is this a shavette?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Jorvaljr, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I got this yesterday in a travel kit. A de fits it but is this a shavette or a carpenters tool? The markings say MFG, By La Carpenter co.damb pat April 8 .13
    838440A6-FF6A-4A81-B536-69B81545DAC5.jpeg DFE09652-0107-48BE-B609-F0ED0E63491B.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    Karl G, battle.munky and Hembree like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Pic?

:eatdrink013:

Hembree, Jorvaljr and DaltonGang like this.
  3. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Actually, it is an invisible razor.

They stopped making them in the 70's when the Trac II was introduced.

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

No good without a pic.

Hembree and Jorvaljr like this.
  5. Jorvaljr

sorry gents. Tapatalk keeps locking the photos

Hembree, Enrico and brit like this.
  6. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

How does it lock up? Does a half DE blade fit it?

Hembree and Jorvaljr like this.
  7. Jorvaljr

1B97911C-9CBF-45BB-8446-17F894968ECF.jpeg B0452249-DD9C-4C0E-9B31-08098336A2D4.jpeg FF8D751F-4BF4-4C27-94C9-9CEB095A8058.jpeg FD16CC08-C709-4DFE-80D0-9BEC14032E34.jpeg

battle.munky, Hembree and brit like this.
  8. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

I think it may be safe to say it is not a shavette. Possibly a bakers lame to score bread tops?
    Along the lines of this?

battle.munky, Hembree and Jorvaljr like this.
  9. DaltonGang

Nope. Not on my face.

10. Tedolph

It is for shaving the back of someone's neck. It is a barber's tool.

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Is that a WAG? It sounds like a WAG.

Here's the facts we know.

It's made by L.A. Carpenter Co. and was patented in 1918. It took 3 hole blades, since the current Gillette blade we have today didn't exist until 1928.
    Pairing L.A. Carpenter Co. with (B. MASS) Boston Massachusetts gives me this...
    Screenshot_20210730-200913_Chrome.jpg
    The Company that made it was originally called "L.A. Carpenter Press Metal Co." and appeared in the Official Gazette of the United States Patent Office, Volume 181
    By United States. Patent Office 1912.
    Which tells us nothing except it had two simultaneous locations and existed between 1912 and 1913.

It could be a barber's tool. Or a box cutter. Or a smoothing plane for a carpenter.

I think it's a blade stropper. You'd insert the blade and strop one edge and then flip it and do the same on the other. But I can't prove it, since I've never seen one exactly like that.

12. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I agree it looks like maybe it's a stropping tool to me. I guess you might be able to shave with it but with a thin DE blade unsupported like that I think it would flex too much to be usable for shaving.

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Right, but the 3 hole blades were plenty thick enough to use as a half supported shavette blade. Gotta imagine how the tool might have been used in it's time.

Edit: to play devil's advocate. :signs136:

14. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

:signs011:
    DE blades back then were very thick compared to today's DE blades. They could stand up very well to stropping and honing, hence all of those DE blade sharpener gadgets of the era, including the very first electric automatic DE blade sharpener, invented and made by Dremel. Yes, THAT Dremel. That gadget is what the Dremel company started with and only sold for several years until DE blade manufacturers came out with better, thinner blades and lowered the prices to where blades shifted mostly to disposable rather than keeping them around for a long time and resharpening them. It cut into the Dremel company's bottom line drastically and they had to find another product, hence the Dremel tool we all know the company for today. Up until that time, it was the only thing that Dremel made and sold, and it was such a good seller, it made them tons and tons of money.

Here's a nice read on the Dremel blade sharpener:
    https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/dremel-rotary-tools-razors-edge-cutting-edge/

vintage-dremel-electric-razor-blade-sharpener-with_1_fa45468b47b0d717c2389f5981c7e562.jpg

vintage-dremel-electric-razor-blade-sharpener-with_1_fa45468b47b0d717c2389f5981c7e562 (2).jpg

B62dFCmCEAAtxtR.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    Jorvaljr and PLANofMAN like this.
  15. Tedolph

Damn, I want one of those.
    I don't use DE blades but I want one anyway.

Jorvaljr, PLANofMAN and IAmTheJody like this.
  16. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Me too! I saw one on eBay in May I think it was. Sold for $10. According to the seller, it worked but was well used so I didn't bother. I figured with a well used one, the leather stropping wheels were well worn and ineffective.

Jorvaljr, PLANofMAN and Tedolph like this.
  17. DaltonGang

I have several different stropping machines, for DE blade, but not this one. For them to work well, you need a vintage thick carbon steel blade. The modern thin ones, made of stainless dont work well. Even after using these machines, they arent even close to the comfort of modern blades.
    But, back then, men were not as picky, just shave the hair, no pain, and no blood was what they cared about.
    Plus, times were a little tougher back then. Every penny counted.

Jorvaljr and IAmTheJody like this.