Out of order

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Hercule, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

A 3 pass shave typically goes with the growth, across the growth, then against the growth followed by touchups. Anybody do the passes in a different order? What's your rationale for doing so?

I'll often dispense with the WTG pass thinking that it isn't the most effective pass, rather, X/ATG are more effective at removing the growth to begin with. Sometimes I'll end with a WTG pass just to say I covered all the bases (I know it's asking for trouble).

Terry likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I follow the with/across/against for my cheeks and chin.
    Odd, but I've found with/against/across works best on my neck. Zero burn or irritation.

3. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

I do passes in exactly that order with a SR. If I am in a hurry, I use a SE razor with a fresh blade and only do two passes: first against the grain and second accross the grain with maybe a touch WTG up w/o relathering at my sideburns.

P.S. I like the effort you put into your titles.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I dont shave the same way everytime. Sometimes i start off against the grain. Sometimes i start across the grain. It varies to be honest. Sometimes its a great shave and sometimes the shave is meh. Too many variables with my gear and the way i shave. Lol i have too much gear to dedicate to nailing down a specific routine

Hercule and John Beeman like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I rarely shave against the grain ever. WTG followed by another WTG pass usually keeps my face pretty clean shaven.

6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Nuh uh. :rofl::scared003:

Tedolph and PLANofMAN like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

i do 2 passes-north to south then south to north,minor touch ups after that.it covers all the angles..

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Almost entirely ATG with all razors.