Scraping toast

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Hercule, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

What role does audio feedback play in your shaving process?

Ron R likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

It lets me know I'm cutting hair.
    As soon as I no longer hear it, I know to stop or run the risk of razor burn.

Terry and Ron R like this.
  3. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Important feedback for the correct angle-lets me know if my angle is too steep. Sometimes it is hard to see depending on where you are on your face and what kind of razor you are using.

Terry and Ron R like this.
  4. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

Someday, I'll learn that lesson (and I'm NOT being facetious).

The difference between cutting hair and scraping skin is very subtle in my experience. I fid that in certain dense and problematic areas there seems to always be the sound of blade against stubble. Thus I tend to overwork those areas.

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Some of my razors "sing" louder than others. I find it interesting to compare the different acoustical feedback, but in the end, I use my fingers to let me know I am cutting stubble and finished cutting stubble.

Terry, Ron R, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  6. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

Amen.

7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Every once in a while if my wife is getting ready while I'm shaving she'll turn on music. My shaves always suffer for it.

Ron R likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Zilch. Being hearing impaired affects my ability to hear the whiskers being cut.

9. swarden43

I always have some tunes playing in the background. Just part of my shave routine.

10. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

I REALLY got the "scraping toast" sound today with my GEM Clog-Pruf. Didn't like it.
    I kinda heard it with my other razors, but it was never remarkable enough to be noticeable.
    I'll start looking for it now, after today's Scraping GEM experience.
    Great thread topic, Hercule!
    - Bax

11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I used to use tunes as a way to know how long it took me to shave. Problem with that is I started to rush things to shave within a certain time limit and that caused all sorts of shave related issues I would have otherwise avoided. It is one thing to shave correctly and another to do it quickly especially with certain razors. After awhile I made sure I had the right razor to match how quickly I could shave correctly with it.

As to the original question using audible feedback is not always useful depending the razor. Knowing about the angle it wants to shave best at and trusting the blade to do it's work without pushing it is when it is shaving correctly.

12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Did you shave the razor with the cap almost flat to the face or did you try to shave it like a traditional DE razor?

13. swarden43

@BBS Alarm clocks are adjustable. ;)
    I get up early enough so I don't have to rush. If I don't have time to enjoy my shave my way, then I don't shave.

But that's me. My shave is my ME time. Time to ponder and pray, listening to tunes the whole while.

Enrico likes this.
  14. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

Yep, I "rode the cap" like a cowboy, rather than angling it like a DE razor.
    I was looking for that elusive 10 degree angle.
    BladeAngle-se vs de.gif
    (Dunno where I got this image... it was posted by someone either on the Den or the Nook. I'm not clever enough to create such a thing!)

I reckon I just need more practice with it. I've only had my 2nd shave with a GEM, after all.
    It's very difficult to stack up to a "1940s" Super Speed!
    I got to hear the "scraping toast" sound, though. Burned toast. Without butter.
    The GEM wasn't impressive, but I won't give up until I've used it for a week.
    If it doesn't impress me by then, it may go the way of the dodo.
    :)
    - Bax

Ron R likes this.
  15. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

Thank you. I'm trying.

16. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

My dad used to get up early and shave then go back to bed before getting up for breakfast then out the door to catch the carpool for work. What I wouldn't give to have time in the morning - for ANYTHING. Time just seems to pass more quickly in the morning. It's get up, get dressed, chug some warmed over coffee and out the door (1/2 hr max) for me. That's why I shave in the evening before going to bed.

Same for me (re ME time) though in the master bath remodel after we moved in, it didn't occur to us until it was too late not to connect the ceiling fan with the lights. So, sadly, it's not too conducive to listen to anything while shaving. It's just me, the fan, the blade scraping whiskers and the voices in my head.

Tedolph likes this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Audio feedback is great ..... When I hear the drips of blood in the sink, I know I'm done shaving and I have just enough time to finish my coffee before the EMT's show up.

:eatdrink013:

Terry, Ron R, Paul Turner and 3 others like this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Dark roast makes for a good styptic.

Enrico likes this.
  19. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree-great thread.

20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I notice it more with the shavettes than with the DE. But right now, I am only using shavettes by the sink, while I use DE's in the shower. I suspect the sound of the shower masks any sounds I might hear from shaving.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021