Synthetic Brushes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Hercule, Jul 23, 2021.

1. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Yep. I would say PAA Synthetic Brushes are the best value brushes in wet shaving right now. I've done a couple of videos on them on my YouTube channel. You can find good synthetics for less money, but you'll sacrifice aesthetics.

Hembree, battle.munky and Angelo85 like this.
  2. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Hembree and battle.munky like this.
  3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Badger, badger, badger! Don't want anything else!

5iwsa5.jpg

Enrico, Hembree and battle.munky like this.
  4. Tedolph

I acknowledge your words.

Hembree likes this.
  5. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

They have always been, so you could say they are traditional in that way.

The Omega brushes that you could buy here in the supermarket, in the 1970s and 1980s, had the same handles as today's Omegas.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Lancre and Tedolph like this.
  6. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Before COVID I was in a job for over five years that required me to travel almost weekly. Nothing beats synthetics for me, when it comes to convenience.

At home, I switch between badgers and synthetics. The past two years, my favourite synthetic has been a Simpson CH2 chubby. Not a good travel brush though, since it takes fairly long to dry.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    Ijustmissedthe50s and Lancre like this.
  7. Ashok

Ashok New Member

On my regular rotations is Mulhe silver tip synthetic, Omega evo , Simpson Trafalgar T3
    and I find them good in all respect then my Super badger brush

IAmTheJody likes this.
  8. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

Maggards and Stirling both have amazing synthetic brushes, and they are not expensive at all.

9. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I started with an inexpensive boar, played around with badger, horse and combination of horse and boar until I found the Plisson type synthetic. I only use a plisson synthetic now and have a Plissoft RR brush that is backup. It just seems to me that the new synthetics do a fantastic job of making my lather on my face. No muss, no fuss. I get the fibers a bit wet and make my lather on my face and then I shave. It's all good. My current brush is soft but a bit scrubby and it is just right.

battle.munky likes this.
  10. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Returning to your original question, I agree with gwsmallwood but I would qualify it by specifying the l'Occitane Plisson synthetic, at least in my experience. It got quite a lot of attention on forums and it probably helped that it was also locally available. Muhle had come out with their synthetics and you have the combination of forum posts with positive reviews and people with acquisition disorders. Looking back at dates of forum posts, it looks like the l'Occitane Plisson was available sometime in 2013 and the Muhle brushes were available at least a year earlier.

11. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Great point. I did mean the L'Occitane version. I sort of ignored the others because of the price tags...

12. Tedolph

There are many Italian barber shops in the U. S. Any barbershop owned and run by Italians is "an Italian barbershop" regardless of its location. One time, I went to an Italian barbershop in Mexico!

13. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Mmmmmmm Badger soup, yum yum… yummy in my tummy.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    IAmTheJody likes this.
  14. Troy M

[​IMG]
    Here are my 3 brushes. The Vie Long horse brush was my first “nice” brush that I spent much on. I still use it occasionally if I want to kill a hard soap. The Plissoft from RazoRock was my first synthetic and I love it. I think I got it from a pass around box several years back and I used in exclusively for at least two years. The shorter synthetic came from this year's traveling box and is a Maseto synthetic knot courtesy of @Enrico. I thought it would become my travel brush but it is now my everyday brush.

I’ve had badger and boar brushes and liked them just fine, but enjoy the lack of “ritual” needed to soak them and then worry about drying, etc. Synthetic for this guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

battle.munky and Enrico like this.
  15. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

That RazoRock black handle looks like Big Fat Mamma.

[​IMG]

Troy M likes this.
  16. Troy M