Brush questions

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Kevinwine85, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Kevinwine85

Kevinwine85 Well-Known Member

I have a question about brushes, are savile row and simpson brushes really worth all the hype?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    Ron R likes this.
  2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Probably going to get a lot of answers for this question. For me, personally, no. If I want a badger brush, I can find an affordable, quality type for a fraction of the price.

3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

It's like anything else, from cars to televisions... You are paying for the legend and the brand name.

Zykris and Jrdelgado like this.
  4. Kevinwine85

Kevinwine85 Well-Known Member

I have a whipped dog high mountain white badger brush that I really enjoy, and I just couldn't see how spending 1-300 more dollars would be any different of an experience.

Zykris and IAmTheJody like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Saville Row, no. You go to Saville Row to buy suits. Simpson on the other hand is an actual old established brush company.

You can build or buy as brush for under $100 that is 90% as good as a Simpson. I'm going out on a limb here, but ShaveMac is the only brush manufacturer that actually offers a unique brush knot that is unavailable anywhere else, in their D01 line.

6. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

I would like to add this to the discussion if you are new to this, otherwise ignore the following.

First establish what kind of face feel you like and what kind of soap you will be using. Do you like a super soft face feel, are going to be using cream out of a tube and lathering in a bowl? If so you will probably be happiest with a synthetic. Are you going to face lather a triple milled hard soap and want a good scrub? You will probably wind up with an Omega or Zeinith boar. Want all that but with soft tips? You will like a Semogue. Want to load your brush with a croap and have it stay warm for three passes? You will probably wind up with a badger. I have found that price is largely irrelevant to how much I enjoy a brush.