Bay Rum Question

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by poppi, Aug 23, 2021.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I had some bay rum a/s by a vendor in Fl called FaceNice. I liked it a lot because it wasn't to "clovey" if that makes sense.

Are there any other ones out there that are not to "clovey"?

Thanks

Frijolero and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'd suggest Stephan's Bay Rum. It does have cloves, but the "clovey" smell is almost gone by blending in the other ingredients. I've had this one a long time, and will re-order when it runs out.

Ice Tee, Enrico, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Superior 70.

4. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

PAA’s Atomic Bay Rum. And What @stingraysrock Said.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Derby City Chop Shop Winter Reserve is my favorite bay rum. It's not clovey at all.

Masters Bay Rum is a non-clove, basic barbershop bay rum. It dries slightly tacky, due to the glycerin in the formula.

Straight from the top shelf to the bottom shelf in one post.

True "bay rum" uses pimenta racemosa leaf extract. The cheaper ones use substitutes, including clove oil, to duplicate the scent. The really cheap bay rums leave the clove oil out.

It's kind of like Wasabi. There's the expensive real stuff, and the flavored horseradish that everyone thinks is Wasabi. Real Wasabi isn't spicy/hot.

6. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

I'll second this recommendation. PAA's Atomic Age Bay Rum is spectacular in my den. Wifey approved is an awesome bonus. Great longevity, no clove at all to my nose.

I also have Ogallala Bay Rum, both shave soap and aftershave (not the extra 'flavored' varieties). It is very nice also, but it does have a small clove (almost a nutmeg?) hint to it. If you have a Duluth Trading Company store in your area, the Ogallala is usually in store (at least it is for the one near me in DFW area).

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I concur. My favorite.

8. Martin-j

Martin-j Well-Known Member

I suggest Captain's Choice. To my nose, it is clove light. It is a solid performer and has a permanent spot in my den.

9. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

10. chazt

chazt Well-Known Member

This is good information here. Thanks very much. I’m thinking about exploring a bay rum a/s, and Mrs. chazt isn’t fond of cloves. Do any of you gents have any experience with DRH bay rum?

11. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I just got a bunch of samples in the mail from PAA. Stay away from Clasico. There isn't any clove in the recipe, but there is a clove-like quality to the scent.

If you're feeling conservative - Atomic Age Bay Rum
    If you're feeling a bit adventurous - Coconut Bay or Pineapple Bay Rum
    If you're feeling fall seasonal adventurous - Atomic Pumpkin

If you're into collectible bottles, these Stoneware Jugs are cool.

You can order samples of all of them for $0.99 each.

12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I wonder what causes that about Clasico(the clove-like quality). I don't recall that in my PAA Bay Rum(Boomtown).

Frijolero likes this.
  13. gwsmallwood

I'm not sure, but my daughter caught it too. She's not familiar with clove, so her description was cinnamonny, spicy. She did my mail call video with me. It should be up tomorrow sometime.

Paul Turner, Enrico and cliffb599 like this.
  14. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

A bit OT...but Smithey's $0.99 cent samples are a) great additions to make the free shipping quota.....b) an absolutely ingenious idea for repetitive self enabling purchases of full size potions.....which leads me to c) a main reason I'm on a NB '21 :ashamed001: (and still going).

Enrico, cliffb599 and gwsmallwood like this.
  15. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Probably the fact that clove and bay are both something like 80% - 90% eugenol. It's the dominant scent in both.

16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have had that juice. Sold it. IMO, it was a not a worthy Bay Rum.
    The BEST is Meehan.

17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs021: A lot of great information here. ..... I tried some from Stirling (which I truly enjoy 99.9% of their products) and it seemed very clovey. I thought all Bay Rums were like that so I steered clear of them.

:thanks:

18. gwsmallwood

I've come across a few that aren't, but they're definitely a minority.

19. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Captain’s Choice is the only Bay Rum I’ve tried
    and I liked it. Earlier this year I purchased a sampler pack that included seven different Captain’s Choice soaps and liked them all.

paul D

20. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Grand Bay (Bay Rum and the Lime Bay Rum varieties).