Gillette Evolutionary Moment in 1961 (G2)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bax, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

I picked up two Flare Tip "G2" razors that looked identical at first blush. But upon close examination, there was a difference in the design despite the fact that they were both G2 Flare Tips!

See the one on the left with the wider ends on the baseplate?
    Contrast that with the one on the right with narrower ends on the baseplate?
    [​IMG]

Here's another view with the missile bay doors open. On the left you can see there's a pretty narrow tolerance for the center bar to move up through the base plate, but on the right, there's a huge gap with a wide tolerance on each side.
    [​IMG]

Otherwise, these are identical G2 flare tip razors. Both made by the same company in the same quarter, yet there is a distinctive manufacturing difference!

I checked out my 1940s Super Speed and it had a tight gap. I checked a flare tip from 1970... it had a wide gap, like the one above right. I conclude that design change happened in Q2 of 1961 (which was also a great time for Chevrolet Corvettes). It seems that razors produced EARLY in the 2nd quarter had a tight gap, but before June of 1961, Gillette decided to open up that gap for more center bar clearance, and continued with the wider design (at least) through 1970.

Exactly WHEN they made this change in the 2nd quarter of 1961 will likely remain a mystery. Did it happen in April? May? June? We may never know. Unless YOU know something I don't of course...
    :)
    - Bax

Enrico and brit like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

61 was also the year they went to slimmer razor head design on the doors for all razors, first on the Super Speeds and then Aristocrat / Slim adjustables that superceded the Fat Boys. There is overlap in the some of production quarter(s) where you see both styles with the same date code(s). I forget if it is was 1 or 2 quarters now but do remember they did overlap. The slimmer head profile razors have that spacing change you are highlighting here.

It is unclear from your picture if both razors are the same razor head profile. If they are then that change came first before slimming down the razor head not afterwards.

brit likes this.
  3. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

Hmm... the heads on both of my G2 SS's appear to be identical (but for the base plate gap noted above) -- same head profile. Maybe the base plate evolution happened just before the head profile change. Interesting!
    :)
    - Bax

Enrico and brit like this.
  4. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

from time to time Gillette makes these little design changes. Here for example Slim Adjustable:

1962 H3-H4 Slim Adjustable.jpg 1964 J1-J2 Slim Adjustable.jpg

5. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

Interesting, Achim!
    What seemed odd to me was that they made the "center bar end gap" change in the middle of the quarter somewhere... just seemed weird. At least the Slim tweak happened between H3 and H4! :)
    - Bax

brit likes this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Very cool observations!

:eatdrink047:

brit likes this.
  7. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

Hello, this change ranged from G through H. Size of the gap is only a consequence of the real change, folded end connectors with end cap were switched to end tabs crimped on the center bar. Much lower quality, but easier and cheaper to manufacture, true Gillette move.

brit and IAmTheJody like this.