The Gem Didn't Do it For Me

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jay_gatz, Sep 4, 2021.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Coated blades tend to mellow out after the first shave. You can palm strop the blades which usually will take care of that prior to the first use. If you want a really smooth shaving Gem style blade use the carbon steel blades. Only issue with those is maintenance since they will rust if left wet between shaves.

Even though the majority of people tend to recommend using the coated stainless steel blades there are at least 4 variations, 2 in stainless and 2 in carbon steel that are viable for shaving.

I'd also recommend and would for anyone who is new to or hasn't done so get a sampler or 2 of blades from tryablade to dial in what you like best.

http://tryablade.com/singleedge

2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I am a Carbon Blade guy.

Dave in KY likes this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I like them also, I am just too lazy to use them on a regular basis when I do use Gem style single edge razors.

Dave in KY and twhite like this.
  4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

With all of the talk of the 17 tooth MMCP. I just got one from the Bay for $11 total. It is crusty right now. It will make for a nice project after I finish honing some blades.

As received
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jtface, Jorvaljr, jtspartan and 5 others like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That's a lot of crust for the money

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

twhite likes this.
  6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Yes it is. It is soaking now. I will take my Dremel and nylon wheel to it with some polish paste this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IAmTheJody and jmudrick like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

It's a lot cleaner than the one I bid on ...... I was tempted to continue to bid, but I liked the looks of the Bullet better. A little less Art Deco and more Industrial Flash Gordon.

:)

jtspartan, twhite and jmudrick like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

But Gary the Gem ads are absolutely art in themselves with Peter Arno and Herbert Roese. I liked them enough to start collecting it.

jmudrick and IAmTheJody like this.
  9. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

It is great art...

IMG_0359.jpg IMG_0366.jpg IMG_0367.jpg

10. jay_gatz

I noticed that with tonight’s shave. I was paying more attention, and in the Shovelhead, the blade had mellowed and was as smooth as a spoiler. Will try a new blade on the next shave, same razor, but will palm/forearm strop it. I can’t see having to start every new blade with the blade rough and continuing to use the Gems, so something must work for folks. Bast difference between shave one and shave two though. Night and day.

IAmTheJody and jimjo1031 like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Used my Gem Micromatic bullet tonight and started out thinking this has a lot of blade feel and saw the tiniest of weepers. Thought to myself this can't be right so looked at the blade alinement and sure enough saw that instead of the blade being behind the blade stops it was on top of them. After a small adjustment shave went beautifully. One pass smooth as glass.

Thanks for the post and the urging that prompted me to try another Gem ..... It's definitely a keeper.

:happy088:

12. jay_gatz

Yikes!!:( Glad you figured it out and had a good shave in the end!

Enrico likes this.
  13. jay_gatz

I feel like I should rename this thread to "the Gem Pushbutton didn't do it for me", or "My Gem Journey." Today was the Clog Pruf "Peerless". The one with the 17 teeth. Clearly more aggressive than both the shovel head, as well as the Pushbutton. Great audio feedback, the loudest of the three so far. I also used a brand new blade that had been forearm/palm stropped, and while it was still brand new sharp like the others, the "first shave" roughness was gone, and had my first shave with a new blade and no weepers, so I am in the "strop a new PTFE Coated Gem" camp. I've been using the Gems for the last couple of weeks, and while I like them, and they are a pretty easy shave with a small learning curve, I still can't say they are superior to either the Gillette Vintage DE offerings, or the Schick injector offerings. From the era, (early Gem/Everready) models, I would take them over the Schick offerings like the G-type, etc... I think the SE Gems are smoother and less irritating than the earlier Schicks. Once I get into the later Schicks (Dial/Adjustable) that is my favorite SE. The Gillettes? EZ-PZ, haven't found any of them that don't do it for me, from the old type all the way up to the "Heritage" common bar re-release with the US made handle and the Edwin Jagger looking head. The GEM will continue to be in the rotation, and the Bullet Tip still needs to be tested, as does the Gem Jr I posted earlier for a group buy here: https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/gem-jr-lot.65922/. I will continue to update when I try new ones, and hope others are inspired to either try one if you haven't, or dig out the old one and give it another go. They are actually beautiful razors, and very well built. The TTO's are like tanks, and the shovel heads and the Jr's have lasted a long time, even if the plating was very thin. They are a solid testament to what and why "Made in America" was a premium thing to be had.

GatorJoe, Ron R, Jorvaljr and 4 others like this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Have you tried the Micromatic Bullet ..... I enjoyed it even for the first time.

Ron R and jimjo1031 like this.
  15. jay_gatz

Have not tried it yet. Next in the rotation though, and then I will give the replated Gem Jr a try.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    Ron R and Enrico like this.
  16. SRQShaver

SRQShaver Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard of the Damaskene so I looked it up. The older razors are so ornate. It really was a different era.

I am glad I found this thread. I have been looking at Gems and just bought what looks like a first-gen Featherweight. I will give it a try to see what I think but also will keep my eyes open for a deal on a non-seeing eye MM and a 17-tooth Clog Pruf. As if I needed any more reasons to spend time on eBay...

jtface, Ron R and IAmTheJody like this.
  17. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

This will polish up real nice!
    Made a start on it yet, Tom?

18. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

You really need a Micromatic Open Comb (MMOC). Best of the bunch.

SRQShaver likes this.