Apollo Mikron anyone?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Old School, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Working a local deal on NIP black beauties for @IAmTheJody and I...
    The seller messaged he's got two Apollo Mikron razors as well and wants to know if I'd like them.
    He says I'll get pics after work, and regarding pricing he's not sure, "have to look up what I paid for them".

1. Any comments on the quality of the shave, scarcity and desirability appreciated.
    2. Any comments on a good price for one or both?
    3. Anyone want one? Even 50/50 split you and I.
    4. Anyone want both?...I may not want one lol!
    5. If you're the guy that had me buy you that Paul Revere handle and backed out on me, don't even think about commenting if you want one. ;)

2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Those are VERY desirable razors. There are 3 versions I believe. I had the opportunity to use one. They are very good shaves. Think fancy progress.

They tend to be pricey.

I remember that deal. It ended up being a trac 2 head not an injector. That was a bit shady on his part backing out.

let us know how this turns out. I would love to get a Micron. However no discretionary funds at the moment.

Old School likes this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I have a Mk2 and Mk3 and they're both beautiful and effective razors . I love my vintage Progress but prefer the Mikrons.

They are Zamak so cautions apply about damage from drops and such. We don't talk prices here but yeah they go for a lot more now I paid for mine. The Mk1 is extremely rare and I'd be interested in the unlikely event he's got one of those.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

twhite and Old School like this.
  4. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Hmmm, not a fan of zamak no matter what it is. Prices shmices, I've been around here long enough I'd think it's obvious this isn't a what's it worth/what can I sell it for thread :) . Guess we can take it to PM, but without some feedback on a "fair price" I'm not pulling the trigger.

How to tell mk1 from mk2/mk3? Fairly easy or is it like looking for the little line on the inside silo doors of a 34 aristocrat lol?

5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'll post pics in a bit, they're very easily identified.

6. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Yep, but shouldn't have been my problem as it was obvious in the pic i uploaded at the time.
    I was a bit of a noob, didn't (still really) don't know squat about injectors...saw it in an antique shop, uploaded a pic to see if anyone wanted me to pick it up for them, and got a PM to do so.
    Later it was "oh wait". I still have it if anyone wants lol!!! I named it "Dick". Short for Richard as you all know :)

PLANofMAN and twhite like this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

My Mk2 (bottom) and Mk3 (top). Mk1 in the second photo I think belongs to Jake.[​IMG][​IMG]

twhite and Old School like this.
  8. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks, that's easy enough!

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

twhite and jmudrick like this.
  9. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

Hmm an Apollo Mikron would be awesome, but I suspect it’ll be out of my price range

You’ll have to let us know how they look and what he says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enrico and Old School like this.
  10. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Very cool and tempting but would have to be a sweet deal to endure the backlash from the wife ;)

11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Collectable razors for sure but mild in comparison to a Merkur Progress at any setting. I've owned one before and sold it because it was too mild for my liking. With that said if the price is right pop on them as a razor flip first and maybe a keeper aecond.

12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I have one of those. It's my all time favorite cartridge handle razor. It gets used a few times a year.

As for the Mikrons, they are rare. Prices are whatever the market will bear. I would rip my pocket out getting my wallet, if I was offered them for $100 each. A lot depends on other factors. Because they are rare, things like literature, cases, branded original blades, warranty cards, etc. can drive the price up considerably, as does the actual condition of the razors themselves.

13. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I have no idea still which model and what if anything is included.
    Promised pics, working late etc, but said one is L3 and one L4... who knows Apollo date codes to narrow it down?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Mikron mk2 v 1980s Progress, Treet Falcon, 4 setting. Mikron has less blade feel, a narrower sweet spot, and much less audible feedback than the Progress. However in my experience that milder feel does not compromise its efficiency, just means a bit more focus is required. That's no problem for me, thus the smoother Mikron still wins on points for me. Mk3 probably a closer call .

[​IMG]

PLANofMAN, twhite and IAmTheJody like this.