shave with Williams Mug shave soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by wchnu, Mar 24, 2017.

1. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

If it isn’t broke, DON’T fix it!!

Paul Turner, brit and Enrico like this.
  2. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

30th September 2021.

16.jpg

3. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Sorry, no pix.
    WMS, SOC Boar, OneBlade Hybrid, FHS-10

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  5. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Frijolero, Jayaruh and IAmTheJody like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Thank you, sir. I am blessed with 5 Damaskeenes. For this Williams shave, I used my AutoStrop A1.

sos211006.JPG

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No posts here for 2 1/2 months?
    Has Williams fallen our of favor??
    Does anybody use Williams anymore?
    Or has everyone finally come to the realization that... :taunt002:

So Covid finally caught me. I'm fully vaccinated, and I believe that's the reason I barely noticed it. I've had colds worse than this that didn't keep me out of work. My positive test has me out for 10 days quarantine. I can return the 24th. Darn! I work in a school and our Winter Break starts the 24th! I don't go back to work until Jan 3rd!:lyrtuy5: The worst of if has been a loss of taste and smell.:signs131:

So, rather than use my beloved scented soaps, of which I had just received three new pucks of TSD soaps (Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Desert Rose), I says to myself, "Self," I says, "why not use that Williams, since you can't smell it? Might as well use it up rather than use up those wonderfully scented soaps."

Many of you know part of my dislike for Williams is the skeeter-be-gone smell.
    Another reason I dislike Williams is because it can be finicky to lather, AND the lather doesn't like to stick around for the entire shave.

Woods of Windsor was another difficult soap to lather, but I tolerated it and helped it along with unscented KMF because I liked the smell of Woods of Windsor.

So I've been using my Williams exclusively these past 5 days or so.
    For those wondering what I was doing with a puck of Williams in the first place, it was a new puck that had been in the back of the closet for the last 5-6 years. What can I say; I'm a packrat.

The brushes I've been using have been badger, boar, and synthetic, all different sizes. This soap is still finicky, never achieving what I would call a good lather - it rates a 2 out of 5, with maybe, maybe a rare 3 out of 5. The lather still does a disappearing act half way through each pass.

I will say today's lather was close to a 3. I used an Omega boar and a tad more water than usual. But here's my thing, with all the brushes I have, I'm not going to change my rotation just to make sure I'm using a boar when the Williams is up. I've been at this soap lathering thing for a long time. I lather all my soaps the same way, regardless of the brush in hand. I will not fuss with a soap that forces me to stop and say, "Hey, self, it's Williams today. Gotta change things up," then try to remember what I did last time to get Williams to lather up half way decent.

@Primotenore gifted me a puck of vintage Williams. The stuff is great! Lathers easy, lasts through the shave. It's unscented, so I add a couple of scented EO I've picked up along the way. Winner!

Let me finish up with this - these are strictly my opinions.
    To those who use and like Williams...
    It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.:eatdrink047:

PS. Once my sense of smell returns, the puck of Williams will probably find the trash bin.
    But, then again, once a packrat, always a packrat. I just may use it out.:sad038:

8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

With no sense of smell I suppose you'll also be using Arko and Lilac Vegetal.

:happy097:

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Covid has affected my sense of smell, not my sense of good judgement! ;)

10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Good to know!

:happy088:

palmolive fox likes this.
  11. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I use my vintage Williams on Wednesdays. Nothing really to add to this thread for me as I use the same combination of soap, pre-shave, and post-shave products.

12. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Vintage Williams Mug Soap in Williams Pewter Mug
    Williams #403 20mm boar brush
    Williams Aqua Velva AS

After that I had to cheat and use non-Williams gear:
    Sharp Star blade - I know there are Williams blades out there, I've seen the empty box, but I haven't been able to lay my hands on any.
    Karve SB-E razor

20220209_123728.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  13. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
  14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Is that mug a "birthdate" mug? I have one.

brit and Lancre like this.
  15. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean by a "birthdate" mug? As you can see from my photo, this is the bicentennial mug that was offered on the side of some of their soap boxes for $4.95.

Edit: fixed price

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
    Paul Turner and brit like this.
  16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Oh ok....it was hard to see it as a bicentennial mug. It has the same color and design as my birthdate mug.

17. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

I still don't get the Birthday mug reference. Could you post a picture of yours?

18. palmolive fox

27th February 2022.

r.jpg

19. palmolive fox

31st March 2022.

16.jpg

BigD, analog, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

analog, brit and palmolive fox like this.