Gillette Rocket, the refined DE.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MTgrayling, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Bushranger

Bushranger Member

Sheer Brilliance. Thank you Rocketman. Thoroughly enjoyable and captivating.:happy096

2. Teiste

Teiste New Member

thank you so much for this thread.I have a flare tip Rocket and a british Aristocrat and they are my favorite vintage Gillette razors.Hope to get a Rocket HD soon.

3. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Hey Shae, welcome to TSD.

It's always good to have a backup of things I guess. If you have any questions throw them out, we'll do our best to help.

4. grump

grump Well-Known Member

Fabulous read sir, great work!!! Now I need help, RAD;) Well (Father's Day) is here!:rolleyes:

5. shaved_*****

shaved_***** New Member

Nice thread. I remember when you first debuted that bucket of razors and were asking folks if you should indeed purchase it - Hah!

6. Bushranger

Bushranger Member

it looks heavy quite a few kilograms there

7. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I'm so glad I was persuaded into buying that bucket 'O razors! I had no idea of what a find it was at the time and it has allowed me to collect all those wonderful Rockets.

Original post updated with weights of all the razors.

8. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

A WONDERFUL treatise on the GILLETTE ROCKET

You have excited me with your presentation.

Thank you
    Tom

9. shaved_*****

shaved_***** New Member

Just curious, what city in MT did you find that bucket?

10. puzle

puzle New Member

Gold Rocket

So yesterday I went to have a look at 2 old razors that I got from my Aunt's basement when she passed. I did not know about safty razors at all s cleaned them up and did some searches.

Well it seems that I have a Gold Rocket and Gillettee Fatboy '59 (E4). Pretty cool to see that others also collect stuff.

I was looking for a straight blade and had not thought of using these but after cleaning them up I think that I will give them a go.

Both are in great shape and have little wear it seems.

11. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Just around the corner at 5,280', 45th parallel in sw Montana. :D

Welcome puzle! You have found two of the greatest shavers Gillette made IMO. Nice score!

12. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Great finds there Puzle! You ended up with a couple of much sought after razors!

Welcome to TSD! If you hop over to this spot and introduce yourself, you'll get a great warm welcome from a lot of friendly members.

Then head over here to the July Newbie Give-Away for a chance to win some great shave gear!

13. guystyleguide

guystyleguide New Member

:shocked003 WOW! And to think that I get a little too obsessed at times!

What a fantastic collection of Rockets!

14. Aaron622

Aaron622 New Member

Other than the TTO mechanism, is there any difference between the English Super and the Flare-Tip Rocket (i.e., blade gap, head design)?

15. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

The heads of the English red tip SS and the red tip Rocket look the same to me. The gaps are .75mm for the English red tip SS and nearly .80mm for the red tip Rocket. The American red tip has a different head design and a gap of about .75mm.

This is based on a small sample; one English red tip SS, two RTR's and two American red tips.

16. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

The balance also seems different to me. I can't describe it well, but it just feels different.

17. Aaron622

Aaron622 New Member

Thanks, Chris. So based on the English Red Tip SS having a smaller blade gap than the Red Tip Rocket, would you say that the regular English SS would have a smaller gap then the Flare-Tip Rocket? I found the Flare-Tip Rocket a bit too mild.

18. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I get a gap of .78mm on each and the heads looks the same. It's strange that they would have a larger gap than a red tip, the blade angle must be different.

19. Aaron622

Aaron622 New Member

Thanks for the measurements. There's one up for sale on another forum that I am tempted by, but it sounds as if it's virtually the same as the standard FT Rocket.

20. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

They are uncommon.