Advice for head shaving with “thin skin”

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Shotwell, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

I’ve been somewhat absent from the world of safety razors for a while and let my hair grow back on my head somewhat during this time — but after an unsatisfactory few shaves with the 5-blade modern monstrosities, I’ve decided to go back to shaving my head with a DE. But I noticed the first couple of times I tried it again, the skin on my scalp feels thinner (I’m 54) and I seem to be getting “bit” more often even if I go slow. Any tips? Thoughts? Anyone else have this experience? My face seems to be just fine, but my scalp feels almost like it’s gotten thinner or more brittle, and that’s been kind of a downer.

2. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I pretty much quit using a DE to shave my scalp a few years ago. I'm 57. I use a Trac II or a Bic 2 blade pivot head plastic fantastic. Never get bit with the trac II cartridge or the Bic.

Enrico, Shotwell and IAmTheJody like this.
  3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Well.....
    A Schick G injector is about the safest bet.
    But that's a SE.
    Might try a a Gillette super speed might be ok too.
    I use an open blade DE that's been called a blade on a stick. I also use a new Feather blade each time.
    I will say that your technique is very important.
    Riding the cap is important too.
    And take your time.
    All the rules and techniques apply to shaving the gourd as applies to the face.
    Good luck!!

Shotwell and Troy M like this.
  4. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

My mom always said, " Don't let them know they are bothering you and they'll quit"........Oops, wrong thin skin. Carry on :D

PLANofMAN, Shotwell, Lancre and 3 others like this.
  5. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Sorry, no experience with this but maybe it's more about doing something to condition your skin rather than what type of razor. I recommend shea butter, unrefined or raw would be better, or jojoba oil. Apply a small amount in the evening and again after shaving. You can massage it a little in your palm to soften it a bit before applying.

6. Shotwell

Conditioning the skin definitely has helped on those occasions when I’ve gotten a good shave on my scalp. However, it seems like the vintage razors I’ve used all seem to be more prone to nicks and cuts on my head than the more modern versions like my two modern Merkurs, my black Standard razor, my Parker, or even my newer King C. Gillette. For single blades, the best shave without nicks for me also seems to be a modern one— the OneBlade, which I’ve never gotten cut by.

I’ve tried injectors, and nearly every model of vintage DE (I’m a bit chagrined to say I own about 30 vintage razors). I love the vintage models, especially my Ranger Tech, my pre-war tech, my birth year M2 black handle SS, and even my Schick Krona. But mostly those seem good for my face but not my scalp. For the scalp it just seems far less likely to cause a cut or nick or weeper when I use the modern models that seem to have more of a computer-assisted tolerance in their design and/or manufacturing. Maybe that’s all in my head (ha) but it sure seems like modern DE’s shave my head with fewer accidents. And for your scalp, one accident is sometimes too many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave in KY likes this.
  7. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Must be frustrating. As Terry mentions above, concentrating on technique may help, choosing a particular razor and blade combination and using it exclusively for a while, as in the 30 day focus/30 day rule. Hope things improve for you.

Terry likes this.
  8. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same. A well moisturized scalp is much less likely to get nicked or cut. Better elasticity of the skin. 2-3 drops of pre-shave oil rubbed in well right before shaving works well for me. I also use a moisturizer on the dome before bed at night.

Shotwell likes this.
  9. Shotwell

Thanks. I’ve started pre-moisturizing and it does seem to help reduce the chance of nicks.

10. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

That's great. I know that was a big contributor for me.

11. fcbayern20012013

fcbayern20012013 New Member

I have been using a straight razor to shave my head for quite sometime which in fact has been easier on the skin, yes I do shave my head daily