SoS: October 2021

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Yehuda D, Sep 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sos211015.JPG
    Friday's Birthday Shave
    zcws.jpg

Cold Water Rinse
    Amalfi Basil Lemon
    The Brush B-3 by Tom
    Gillette Aristocrat and Gillette Goodwill
    Astra SP
    CWR
    Pinaud Citrus Musk EDC

The Amalfi Basil Lemon Shaving Soap lathered well with The Brush B-3 by Tom Badger. I did pass one with birth era Gillette Aristocrat razor and second pass and touch ups with the Gillette Goodwill Razor with an Astra SP DE Blade which gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse I finished off with Pinaud Citrus Musk EDC. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

And a Happy Birthday to @twhite, too.

2. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

OCtober!

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

9CF6ADA6-F7AA-4781-BCF1-3E8888ED98D3.jpeg
    SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, OCTOBER 15, 2021

Unlike some of you, I started my open edge journey with straight razors, and then began using barber’s razors/shavettes. Now I realize that the term shavette is properly attributed to Dovo who originated it, but it has become common parlance for any replaceable blade open edge shaving device. After a brief fling with DE and injector based shavettes which I found too light, I moved to AC Barber’s razors, starting with the SS model which never felt like a true straight, probably because of the pronounced lip around the edge. The DX was a different story. The only issue I ever had with it was its size. The edge shaved and felt much more like a true straight.

However, it wasn’t until a good friend began talking up this new straight being designed in Switzerland that I began to pay attention. So I bit the bullet and ordered one which was priced comparable to a custom straight out of Ukraine or Latvia. Since I’d held off, I wasn’t eligible for the 30% off deal for the first 100 buyers, which my friend, Bill, participated in, but I do not regret the purchase. Far from it, this is the only shavette/barber’s razor that actually feels like I’m shaving with a well-honed straight, particularly after being fitted with a Feather Super blade. Two mug passes with some final buffing and flatblading on those troublesome neck whiskers, and I was as smooth as I like to be. The Tedalus Essence is just a superbly designed shaver.

Although I wasn’t part of the initial 100 buyers of the Tedalus, I was one of the initial buyers of Fine Shaving’s all SS safety razor entitled the “World’s Finest Razor”. This SS safety razor was, according to Fine Shaving, intended as an homage to the Gillette New LC. The New LC is an awesome OC safety razor. This particular razor was not an OC and is no longer sold by Fine Accoutrements, and that pretty much says it all. It’s a decent razor, but isn’t in the same category as the New LC. Honestly, Fine really had nothing to prove! Their little $40 “Marvel” was already an aptly named incredible little shaver. In any case it took three ATG noggin passes this morning to leave me oh-so-smooth from dome to shoulders.

RAZOR: Tedalus Essence (Mug), Fine SS Safety Razor (Dome)
    BLADE: Feather Super (Mug), Feather DE (Dome)
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: MrEE LE Aluminum Handle SynBad Knot
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme AS Balm.

4. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

13129BE1-E5C0-43C1-B249-E4791ABCF8E2.jpeg
    SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, OCTOBER 15, 2021

Unlike some of you, I started my open edge journey with straight razors, and then began using barber’s razors/shavettes. Now I realize that the term shavette is properly attributed to Dovo who originated it, but it has become common parlance for any replaceable blade open edge shaving device. After a brief fling with DE and injector based shavettes which I found too light, I moved to AC Barber’s razors, starting with the SS model which never felt like a true straight, probably because of the pronounced lip around the edge. The DX was a different story. The only issue I ever had with it was its size. The edge shaved and felt much more like a true straight.

However, it wasn’t until a good friend began talking up this new straight being designed in Switzerland that I began to pay attention. So I bit the bullet and ordered one which was priced comparable to a custom straight out of Ukraine or Latvia. Since I’d held off, I wasn’t eligible for the 30% off deal for the first 100 buyers, which my friend, Bill, participated in, but I do not regret the purchase. Far from it, this is the only shavette/barber’s razor that actually feels like I’m shaving with a well-honed straight, particularly after being fitted with a Feather Super blade. Two mug passes with some final buffing and flatblading on those troublesome neck whiskers, and I was as smooth as I like to be. The Tedalus Essence is just a superbly designed shaver.

RAZOR: Tedalus Essence (Mug), Fine SS Safety Razor (Dome)
    BLADE: Feather Super (Mug), Feather DE (Dome)
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: MrEE LE Aluminum Handle SynBad Knot
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme AS Balm.

5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I like them a lot. :)

clint64 and brit like this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, OCtober 15th 2021

Razor: Yaqi V2 50mm AC Excalibur-Mfg 2021> great design and works well, tame mid range, carefree shave mostly.
    Blade: Schick Proline P30 (1) sharp and smooth, longevity? First use of this blade.
    Soap: Tabac, mild flowery type of scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi 24mm boar, excellent lather generator, soft split end hairs, great scrub + great lather painter.
    Pre shave: (Cashmere 24mm)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
    Post shave: Fine fresh Vetiver with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer cream(balm scentless).
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= [​IMG]Excellent shave with my Yaqi V2 Excalibur + a Schick Proline P30.
    SOTD, Oct 15, 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

7. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

SOD Friday October 15, 2021
    Ever wonder how many shaves in each tub or tube of Proraso? See below in the Lather report!

Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
    Bowl: Shave Nation
    Pre shave: Proraso Red
    Lather: Proraso Red (55)
    Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
    Face WTG-XTG-ATG
    Head WTG:XTG-ATG
    Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (2)
    Razor: Gillette Styler
    Lotion: Proraso Red Dopobarba
    Balm: None

Have an amazing day!!

IMG_7832.jpg

8. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Thanks my friend. Happy Birthday to you also.

9. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

OCtober 15th
    Canadian NEW LC w Astra SP (3)
    APShave 2Bed/ MrEE #2 Aluminum
    SV Felce Aromatica combo
    Thayers
    klsdf.jpg
    A favourite lather with an intoxicating scent to end the week.
    Have a great day all!

10. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

11. stuartganis

Gillette Fatboy / Gillette 7o'clock SharpEdge
    Fine Accoutrements / Green Vetiver
    Art of Shaving / Pure Badger [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Friday morning:

Yaqi 30mm Barber Pole
    Super Speed/Minora day 3
    Jolly SC
    Nivea Sensitive ASB

A very plain, basic, no frills setup earlier this morning because I was pressed for time. The Jolly cream from Pakistan smells quite nice, it lathers very well although it’s not that slick but it leaves a comfortable postshave feeling. The Nivea Sensitive balm really moisturizes and soothes the skin the way I like it. All in all this was a pretty decent, if not BBS shave.

Have a great weekend - be well and safe!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave and pic Jim.:cool::greet002::greet002::bounce017:

Ron R, clint64 and Jayaruh like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

stunning set up and pic Jim..:cool:

Ron R, clint64 and jluc like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

fabulous friday endeavors gents..:signs154::bounce015:

Ron R, IAmTheJody, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

friday
    canadian new sc/thin handle
    7oclock black-2
    ds cosmetics tuxedo
    tallow and steel boreal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. stuartganis

Thank you.

18. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

Awesome canadian new sc shave and pix Gary. ;)

19. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Gary!

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

20. brit

brit in a box

thank you Jim..:):eatdrink047:

clint64 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.