Type 2 Diabetes

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Redrock, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Folks,

If you want to share or not it is okay. To make a long story short, I was diagnosed with T2 a number of years ago. However, in the last six months my A1C spiked from 7.1 to 8.9 (9 being critical). Since other medications had not worked, my doctor started me on Trulicity (weekly injection). The first couple of weeks were with miserable side effects but has gotten much, much better. This stuff has been wonderful for me. My blood sugar is down and I have lost 15 pounds. One of the positive side effects is that it makes your stomach feel like it is full. Instead of doing seconds, one serving of food is good. If you do have T2 (or T1) I hope you have had the success I have.

Sincerely

Frijolero, Tdmsu, jimjo1031 and 3 others like this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I know a few people on one brand of semaglutide or another. Trulicity, Ozempic, and Rybelsus. All three claim to have a weight loss benefit, but only the dude on the Ozempic has has noticable weight loss. Good for you that the Trulicity is working as intended with side benefits!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I was diagnosed with it almost a year ago, it runs in the family, Dad's side. Metformin was added to my meds, but after my first A1C test, it was still high, 9.6. After adding Glimepiride, then changed to Jardiance, it went down to 7,2, then 6.9, and my last one was 6.2. I did cut down on soda and drank more water, but I still have sugar (raw) with my coffee or tea. And enjoy sweet snacks every so often, cause I like them. I'm not saying having sugar products while on Diabetes is good, as everyone is different. I also lost weight, just because I wanted to, by reducing the amount I eat at meals. I went from about 250lbs to my current weight of 210, my high school senior weight. But as long as my A1C is under control, it's working for me, knock on wood.

Tdmsu likes this.
  4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I'm pre-T2 and trying to educate myself and change my lifestyle up to head it off at the pass. I've found Dr. Jason Fung and Dr. David Perlmutter's books to be revolutionary to my understanding of diabetes and not only how to prevent but reverse the damage I've done.

I can't recommend them enough. Trying to get your doctor to acknowledge their approach is a completely different story. My VA doctor just rolls here eyes and tries to get me to start thinking about what medicine I want to take.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  5. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

I've had diabetes #2 since 2006 I take Metformin twice a day. I've cut all sodas & all sugar drinks. Diabetes could be a real killer, really have to treat it right also for the last couple of years my A1C runs about 5.7 to 5.9.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

6. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

My blood sugars have run high since I was in my 30's. A1c now 6.5 with Metformin once per day. I am active (walking, cycling swimming, etc.) and maybe 20lbs. over weight. I just don't care anymore.

7. Redrock

:happy088:

8. Redrock

9. Redrock

Thanks

10. Redrock

11. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

My doctor diagnosed me and put me on metformin. Within a few days I started having an excruciating pain just below my breastbone, deep in my belly. He sent me for an ultrasound and when that didn't find anything wrong, a CT scan. That didn't find anything wrong either. But the horrible pain persisted. After about a month and a half of dealing with it, I stopped taking the metformin and the pain went away. He said he doesn't understand because metformin wouldn't do anything like causing pain. All I know is I quit taking it and I got better. I've just made up my mind and I'm going to live a happy life and not worry about all of these things that cause me mental stress everyday worrying about such as what I am eating and how much sugar I am eating, etc. If it is my time, I was happy, not stressed. ::shrug::

battle.munky and Tedolph like this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

FWIW, I know of people who say they stalled or reversed T2 by staying on a strict low carb/keto diet. Some got off insulin. It makes sense to me...the diet severely limits sugar intake, giving insulin very little to have to respond to, stabilizing blood glucose and giving the pancreas a break.

My dad is T2. For several years starting in my 30s, my FBG would creep higher every year so I've been holding myself to low carb for a long time. My FBG is in the low normal range and weight is controlled.

And since high blood sugar is inflammatory, it lets the body heal a lot of other things that can go wrong because of it. I eat high quantities of saturated fat so conventional medical wisdom says I should be clogged up and on Lipitor, or already dead, yet my arterial calcium score last year was 0.0%.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    PLANofMAN and battle.munky like this.
  13. Tedolph

My calcium score is also zero and I eat a lot of olive oil and butter, but no other animal fat as I don't eat meat. I do eat eggs, dairy and occasionally fish.

battle.munky likes this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Is it safe to guess that you also don't consume massive quantities of various starches and sugars (the standard American diet or S.A.D.), all of which sooner or later convert to blood sugar which insulin must deal with?

15. Tedolph

Not safe to assume. I eat a lot of carbohydrates-pasta, bread, etc. That is where the Metformin comes in. It suppresses absorption of carbs. Not much sugar though. I don't have a sweet tooth.

16. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

If you've got diabetes and don't keep it under control it can hit you so bad that your life will never be the same.
    Since 2006 I've been a diabetic, I most likely had it many years before 2006. Today I have high blood pressure, had 2 mild heart attacks, and got ckd stage 3
    right now everything is under control, the thing that worries me the most is the ckd. All this thanks to diabetes, so my friend take care of what ever you know is wrong.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

My A1c was 11 a few years ago, but using Rybelsus and Metformin, plus a better diet, I'm down to 6.4 now.

stuartganis likes this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I had blood work done a few weeks ago and I'm waiting on the results, especially on the A1c.

stuartganis likes this.
  19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Coincidence that I see this topic now ... someone told me yesterday that I should go for a blood sugar test, since I turned 55. To be honest, I was a bit surprised by that. Is that even a thing (testing because of age)?

Anyone else who got the same recommendation, despite not being overweight, having a sporty lifestyle, and feeling absolutely fine?

(Yes, I know the internet is not a substitute for seeing your doctor, but still)

stuartganis likes this.
  20. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I've never heard of such a thing but I'm only 52. ;) :D