TARMAX Injector Pass around

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Tarmax SE is showing landing at next victim on Friday. Thanks Tom for letting us play with your creations

Ron R and IAmTheJody like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Tarmax has landed earlier and I will be using it later today when I am done working.

3. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Watch the sharp blade corners :happy088:

IAmTheJody likes this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

First shave in with the Tarmax SE. Used a carbon steel gem blade, this was the 3rd shave on the blade and I adjusted it a half turn from where it bottomed out. It has the same problem as the Tarmax Injector in that it doesn't shave directly under the nose on the WTG pass. With the razor at this adjustment it is nowhere near as aggressive or efficient than the Tarmax IN at the same setting. It shaves like a more efficient but not overly so Gem Featherweight. End result almost a BBS finish achieved and would be a BBS finish with most other people who don't have thick wiry hair like I do. Next shave will be with the adjustment opened up 3 quarters from bottomed out.

twhite and IAmTheJody like this.
  5. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

TARMAX Injector Shave #2

Got busy today and forgot to post the shave… not that it was forgettable, because it was not!

A truly wonderful second 3 pass shave was had… 6, 5, then 4 (with touch up) and very smooth overall. I think I’ll try 7, 6, 5 next and see how it goes.

I did notice how I nicked myself on the side of the nose on shave #1. The blade does stick out just a tick on the one side leaving an exposed corner - so you just have to be careful. It’s not much, but enough to get you if you rush or get too cavalier.

If the remaining shaves go like this, I’ll name this iteration of the TARMAX the heavyweight champion and plead with Tom for a V2 . I do think it could be that good.

Happy Healthy Shaves all.

Josh

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming to say...

Happy Birthday Tom!
    :greet002:

Ron R and twhite like this.
  7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Thank you!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  8. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I am open to improvements. That is the reason for the pass arounds. I am all ears.

hins2jw0 and IAmTheJody like this.
  9. hins2jw0

TARMAX Injector Shave #3

A truly remarkable shave this morning for shave #3. 3 passes - 7, 6, 5 with touch up resulted in a smooth and comfy Sunday morning shave.

I dunno Tom, this razor may get lost in the postal system . All jokes aside I would definitely be on board for one of these. My next shave will be a side by side comparison with the Parker Adjustable Injector. Bring on the fun .

Happy Shaves all.

Josh

[​IMG]

10. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Gl
    ad you are enjoying the shaves.

hins2jw0 and IAmTheJody like this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Tomorrow I'll get my next shave in with the SE and report back my findings.

twhite and IAmTheJody like this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Next shave in adjusted 3 quarters from bottoming out this time. Blade pulled more at the hair but didn't cut any closer than the previous shave adjusted to a half turn from bottom. I'll be passing along the razor next to @IAmTheJody next for gratuitous masochism err I mean testing.

IAmTheJody and twhite like this.
  13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

After using all 3 iterations, my personal observations. The SE is the mildest of them all and to the point I don't think can be efficient enough to overcome that mildness unlike the injector and DE Tarmax razors which can. It is a decent shave but if this was an official product line I personally wouldn't release the SE until it was retooled to be able to keep pace with the other 2. I also personally liked the injector the best of them all, partially because I am biased to towards injector razors and because it can flat out keep up with or outshave almost any injector out there and do that with a Personna blade in it.

14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Tarmax SE was posted today and on it's way to @IAmTheJody

15. hins2jw0

TARMAX Injector Shaves 4 and 5

I elected to try two shave offs with the TARMAX vs the Parker Adjustable and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Clearly the TARMAX has a significantly wider adjustability when comparing the two, but the Parker is slightly easier to use and more fool proof. Both however can provide wonderful shaves.

I still stand by my previous comments that the TARMAX requires a modification to my normal technique under my nose, but will still get the job done.

As far as aesthetics go, both are attractive, but the TARMAX has significantly more cool points (plus is custom made ). What does everyone else think?

Who’s next on the list? I think Jim is holding on OCtober…

Happy healthy Shaves all.

Josh

[​IMG]

Jayaruh likes this.
  16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I believe @SlimGem is next up.

SlimGem and hins2jw0 like this.
  17. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

TARMAX SE arrived safe and sound today! Thanks @BBS !

I got caught up in my own fat feet and fell today, and have thrown my back out. Not sure when I'll be able to stand and shave again but if it looks like it's going to be too long, I will mail it on to the next person instead of possibly keeping it for 2 or 3 weeks.

18. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Wow. That sucks. I hope you will not be down that long.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  19. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Bummer. Seen a doctor?

IAmTheJody likes this.
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    oh-no.jpg
    Hope you mend quickly. When you get old like me it takes longer.

IAmTheJody likes this.