My Brush Repairs, Restorations & Builds

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Enrico, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Very glad to hear Jody!!

:eatdrink047:

IAmTheJody likes this.
  2. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

So I have a question for everyone. As you can see, my trusty Semogue 1305 has developed a chip. It started many years ago where there was slight flaw in the paint. It seems to grow a bit every year.

WIN_20211016_13_04_32_ResizedPro.jpg
    So, do I fix it or leave it as a battle scar to brag about? Might have a problem finding forest green nail polish?

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

If you don't mind the look of it, I'd lightly sand the edges of the damage area and seal it from any further damage from the water getting under the paint. If you have a spar urethane you could use it to seal it, but if not you could try a clear coat of clear nail polish.

:)

4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

You could look for Testor's enamel paint. They might have a color that's close enough. It comes in small jars & is generally available at craft stores.

5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy088:

Tedolph, brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Another good quality hobby paint would be Tamiya. They have a good selection of paints and have tough finishes.

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

A friend needed a prop for a display, but it didn't need to be historically accurate only look proper ..... and it had to be cheap. I looked though my brush stock, but didn't have any Butterfly or Strong Set wooden brushes and my boxes were a little shorter than normal due to a donation to a friend learning to restore brushes. Left with no other options, I decided to use my parts to build an antique shaving brush.

Armed with Dannyco neck duster brush that I had no future plans and a cheap Peerless brush that is only good for parts, due to the bottom is made of low grade plastic.

IMG_2187.jpg IMG_2076-2.jpg
    A friend was kind enough to include these in a box of brushes he gave me.

I decided to keep the knot on the Peerless that was a badger boar mix (still reasonably nice). I set to work measuring, marking and cutting the Dannyco duster; then I used a set of vice grips to squeeze and break off the bottom of the Peerless. A little scraping, sanding and epoxy the brush was together; then I dyed the handle to a butterscotch color and waxed it.

IMG_2188.jpg
    The result is a the never before seen Peerless Keyhole shaving brush.

Due that it was to be a historical display I didn't polish the ferrule to keep the used look, though I did soak and shampoo the knot to refresh it.

As always ..... more to come.

:D

8. jimjo1031

Nice job Keith.

brit and Enrico like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you Jim ...... probably will never be used, but at least it looks the part.

brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

very cool looking Keith:cool:,and functional;).nice work.:eatdrink047:

Enrico likes this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I figure if my friend decides that she doesn't need it I can finish it completely and pass it on.

:eatdrink047:

brit likes this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I was sent a barber neck duster from @IAmTheJody ..... it was his grandfather's from his barbershop and Jody wanted me to change it from a neck duster to a shaving brush.

IMG_2167.jpg

I removed the horse hair and filled the holes with 5 minute epoxy so that the walls wouldn't blowout while boring out in drill press.

IMG_2168.jpg IMG_2178-2.jpg

I cut a section from one inch brass pipe to act as a spacer and to give strength. It was then epoxied in to place flush to the top and when set I bored it to final depth to receive knot.

IMG_2192.jpg IMG_2193.jpg

Jody wanted to keep the original look so I only gave a very light sand around the top to clean up after epoxying. I soaked it in teak for two hours then let it dry for three days; followed by two coats of spar urethane that I also let dry for three days

Jody had a 24mm Silvertip Grade A badger knot shipped to me from TGN that I installed with a loft of 46mm to insure that there is plenty of backbone.

IMG_2203.jpg

Well Jody's grandfathers brush is ready for years of shave for his grandson.

And as always ..... more to come.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  13. jimjo1031

Nice job Keith. Will have to do something similar with the duster you sent me.

Enrico, Dave in KY and IAmTheJody like this.
  14. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Looks great! Fantastic work as always Keith! I think my grandfather, being an old Italian barber, would be amused but definitely proud it lives in function and spirit.

15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you, it was quite a challenge ..... I've learned quite a few tricks for the next one. ;)

:thanks: Your grandfather probably would have said "Look what that crazy Irish guy's doing to my neck duster!"

:shocked029::happy068:

16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I saw only a part of brush in an auction and realized what kind of brush it was and decided to try to restore / rebuild it.

IMG_2196.jpg
    It's a ferrule from Albright Rubberset brush similar to the one here from catalog for retailers.

117_1 [1925].JPG
    1925 Albright Rubberset shaving brush

There was damage to the ferrule, but I expected it.
    IMG_2197.jpg

I repaired the ferrule using epoxy and a piece of 3/4" copper pipe.
    IMG_2205.jpg IMG_2206.jpg IMG_2207.jpg

I used the handle of a Barbershop and cut it down. Followed up with a mix of yellow and white India ink and two coats of spar urethane.
    IMG_2198.jpg IMG_2199.jpg IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2210.jpg
    Completed with a 20mm 2 banded badger from the Shave Forge.

Its final length is 4 3/4".

Ready for years of shaves.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Very nicely reconditioned, The New with the Old theme.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    Enrico likes this.
  18. jimjo1031

Nice job, looks great...........

Enrico likes this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you!

moose49017, Ron R and jimjo1031 like this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I picked up a mini USB flashlight off AliExpress with the sole intent to make in to a shaving brush.
    [​IMG]

IMG_2430.jpg

IMG_2429.jpg

I installed a 26mm black badger from Oumo brushes. I'll be giving it away to someone that enjoys the scritch maybe in TSD raffle or the Traveling shaving box.