Electric Shaver discussion

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Sara-s, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Yes, I know that A) we are primarily a forum devoted to wet-shaving methods and B) many of you hate electrics.

BUT A)we do not all hate them and B)sometimes, even though we may prefer a good wet-shave, expediency calls for an electric.

So, if you do use one, I would like to discuss what you use & why, what you like or dislike, etc.

I use one when I am pressed for time (leg shaves can take quite a lot of time) or discover, after the fact, that I have missed a spot. Also, if I am going to wear a swimsuit, I will use one for the “bikini line” which does not tolerate a blade well.

When I recently had to replace mine, I found the choices made for women to be limited and cheaply made. So I went for a Braun shaver with a flex-head. This:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z8K3MQS/?tag=thshde-20

I like it quite a bit.

Ijustmissedthe50s and gzp like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I passed mine to my only kid who had no interest in using a DE razor. But if time were an issue, I would consider an electric again. However, I find I can shave just as quickly with a DE these days. My wife, however, would definitely save time with an electric razor. Y'all have a lot more to shave than us guys. I can't imagine how much time it would take me to shave my legs, nor do I intend to find out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ijustmissedthe50s and Sara-s like this.
  3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I recently purchased an electric, specifically for my head since every time I shave my head I end up getting a cut. And a cut on my head makes me want to ball up into the fetal position and cry.

I did some research and finally settled on an Andis. In use by barbers all over the world, it seems to be the preferred one, especially by African American barbers who do a lot of close fade hair cuts. And I can testify that it does not disappoint. Every time I use it, my head is left baby butt smooth and as if I used an actual DE/SE razor. The manual that comes with it speaks more about face shaving with it and so I have tried that as well and was left with the same BBS results on my face and neck. Obviously I can't speak to how well it works on legs and thighs but I imagine it would work, just maybe not on 3 or more days of growth.

If you do order one from Amazon, just make sure it is shipped from and sold by Amazon. There are some scrupulous third-party sellers on there who are selling counterfeit units, even the ones that say sold by a third party but shipped by Amazon. They send a bunch of counterfeit units to Amazon for Amazon to handle the shipping.

Andis 17150(TS-1) Pro Foil Lithium Titanium Foil Shaver, Cord/Cordless, Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TOUU700/?tag=thshde-20

PLANofMAN and gzp like this.
  4. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I'll say I used them when I was a teenager in the 80s. First was a Remington microscreen. It was amazing, such a quick clean shave and no irritation. When I wore holes through the screen eventually I got a Norelco three head thingy, since a new screen kit for the Remington was like 40 bucks.
    That Norelco tore me up, especially my neck.
    I went back to DE and never really left it.
    I was gifted another Norelco in college over the holidays, used it a couple times, and had the same discomfort.
    That Norelco moved with me from 1994 until about 2020, when I gave it to me son to start shaving...I still can't get him to try a DE razor. Wus.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I've never been able to use an electric razor to shave with.
    I use electric trimmers for small clean up but thats all.
    I used bic single blade orange and white razors for years until they were pulling and tugging way to much.
    I still have my father's norelco.
    But I've never even plugged it in.

6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@Terry trimmers count. What brand of trimmer do you use? Do you like it?

Terry likes this.
  7. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    In that case, I use a Phillips Norelco Multigroom for occasional manscaping.
    It comes with two trimming heads (large/ small), two attachments for the heads that adjust the length, and an ear/nose hair attachment.
    When you trim the hedges, the tree looks bigger :)

Sara-s likes this.
  8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Just for fun, one of the original electric shavers. 1910 or so...

lek-tro-shav.jpg

9. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

I use a Braun electric foil shaver to touch up a straight razor shave on the second day if I didn't get a spot quite perfect (usually my chin under my lip) or to stretch out a SR shave from a two day shave to a three day shave. The foil razors do a reasonable job if the stubble is very, very short so the electric has its place. I would never use one to get a close shave with a one or two day beard.

10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I haven't used one, in over 30 years, unless it is for touch ups between haircuts. My wife and daughters all use DE razors. They just dont shave as close, as a good sharp blade.

Tedolph likes this.
  11. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

20211019_194443.jpg
    A Wahl MC3 with the attachment i use for the goatee.

20211019_194354.jpg
    A Wahl 9685 with attachments for the places around the head, inside ears mostly.

I've tried other types and models but these two seem to work and hold up well.

tp

Sara-s likes this.
  12. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

I'm with Richard ! Just for fun :D

EDIT - Sorry for the brain fart on the name Richard @richgem :ashamed001:

IMG_20210428_163715507.jpg

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    richgem likes this.
  13. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Great video, thanks!

Dave in KY likes this.
  14. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I’ve been enjoying using my Braun Series 9 most of this year - it’s the only shaver that prevents itchy shaving bumps in my case so I keep using it. A seriously wonderful tool. It was a learning curve and I’m still getting my technique down - and my face had to get used to it. Aces!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

brit and Sara-s like this.
  15. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Blaspheme!
    O, cruel world, that I should have lived see the day when even our dear Sara-s would abandon us in the faith.

brit and Tedolph like this.
  16. Annieclover

Annieclover New Member

I am also using Braun Electric Razor. I've had a Series 5 model for years and figured it was time for a complete replacement. So I opted for the Series 7. It is significantly better than the previous model, no regrets for the change. I do however miss the simple flip-up trimmer the Series 5 had, with the 7 you have to snap off the razor head and snap on the trimmer head. So far I haven't even tried the trimmer as I have a separate Remington beard trimmer, it's easier just to pick that up.

Leo K., Sara-s and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

very cool..;):eatdrink047:
    images.jpeg

Leo K. likes this.
  18. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

;)
    tp

DaltonGang and brit like this.
  19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers