The "I have just seen this movie" - thread

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by moviemaniac, Dec 2, 2008.

1. guystyleguide

guystyleguide New Member

I saw this one the other day...

While it was an entertaining two hours, I don't know as if I thought it was a great film. The storyline wasn't up to much, and the 'young trek' mannerisms were a little too hackneyed for my liking: it wasn't so much "Chris Pine doing Kirk" as "Pine doing Shatner doing Kirk" if you get what I mean :think002

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I didn't see that in his performance at all.

3. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

If you have not seen UP yet go. That is all.

4. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Dang it took me awhile to find this thread, but I knew it was here somewhere. Time for a revival. First however I noticed that up above a couple posts last year I recommended the Hotel Babylon series on BBC. Well the first couple seasons were good, but it went straight to hell around season 4 or so. So if you want to check it out keep that in mind.

Anyways I just watched Shutter Island on DVD last week. What a great suspense thriller. It's one of those twist ending flicks which I hate to say I figured out in the opening scene. Didn't take away from my enjoyment however. A dark and clausterphobic "murder" mystery. I always looked upon this Leo DiCaprio as something of a lightweight, but I've gotta say I'm pretty impressed with his recent work. I'll give anything he's in a chance.

In addition I recently watched Book of Eli w/ Denzel. Also a twist ending flick which I did not figure out right away. Not a bad apocalypse movie. Kind of slow and plodding but good acting and enough action to keep you interested. Not the best I've ever seen but worth a rental.

5. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Not really a movie but I just finished watching Pacific.. Its a good series, not as good as Band of Brothers but very intresting and watchable

6. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Watched Edge of Darkness with Mel Gibson the other night. Based on a British mini series by the same name. Not a bad flick. Good action, good mystery and intrigue. I don't think it did big at the theaters but it's worth a rental. It provided an entertaining 2 hrs. and interested me enough to put the mini series up on the Netflix queue to see how it compares. He's a Boston cop whose daughter is murdered in the opening scenes. He spends the rest of the film figuring out why and who, quickly discovering a possible tie in to her work as an intern at a mysterious corporation. That's teaser enough without giving away much.

On a side note Mel is definitely showing his age. I'm sure his off-screen melt down isn't helping much. Too bad when a fine actor completely implodes like that. No excuse for his behavior really. Can't respect his world views, but I still enjoy his performances.

7. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

Book of Eli

Just watched this one a couple of days ago. Denzel Washington is the man! He plays well in this movie. Its an interesting look at a post apocalyptic world and how important knowledge can be, plus it has a cool twist at the end.

5/5!

8. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Been watching Doc Martin on the Netflix streaming box. If you're a fan of dry British humor and thick sarcasm like I am, you'll enjoy this. Big city surgeon moves to small seaside village as their new town doc. He's got eccentricities and a troublesome demeanor to boot which adds to the amusement. Four seasons available; not sure if that's it or if there's more to come.

Clash of the Titans (the new one) coming in the mail tonight so we'll see how that one is.

9. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

I recently signed up for Netflix, so I have been going movie crazy lately. I'm mainly watching the documentaries they offer on their instant streaming feature.

A couple of good food system docs are Food Inc. and King Corn. The latter is a bit less biased than the former, but both are extremely thought provoking. I have changed my diet considerably in the two or so weeks since I watched these films.

10. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Watched The Hunting Party. Pretty good movie.

11. Neuromancer

Neuromancer Member

City Island...masterful performance by Andy Garcia...

12. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Watched after.life w/ Liam Nieson the other night. Ok, but not great. Some plot holes that actually get filled in a bit if you watch the xtras featurette. A few holes leftover even after that however. I did find myself a little disturbed for a few days after watching it. Mostly because the premise is so creepy. You'll have to watch to see what I mean...I won't be a spoiler!

13. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

Yesterday I watched Too Tough To Die: A Tribute to Johnny Ramone. Awesome band worthy of an awesome tribute show.

I could have used a little less Anthony Keidis (RHCP), but the rest of the show was great. Tim Armstrong (Rancid), Brett Gurewitz (Bad Religion), and Henry Rollins (Black Flag, etc.) were fantastic.

Hey Ho, Let's Go!

14. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Just watched "Lucky Number Slevin". Good flick, would recommend.

15. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

+1 A very cool movie.

16. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Just caught The Expendables on Blu Ray. A kick ass, popcorn, shoot 'em up with many of the A-list B action movie stars of the 80's. Ain't gonna win any awards but well worth the hour and a half. Kind of reminded me of Commando. Arnold even makes a cameo! Good times. :happy088

17. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

Battle Royale.

Very violent, very Japanese, very intense, very awesome.

18. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Jeff and I went to see Red during one of our endless days of vacation. It was Awesome ... definitely one to actually purchase when it's available.

19. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Yesterday: Harry Potter 7/1

Really decent movie. For me it was some kind of good-bye. The 3-screen theatre I went to the last 10 years (saw over 100 movies there, liked the owner and the flair of the place) lost 2 of its screens recently. One got turned into a dancefloor and one into a bar because the costs of going digital are too high [it cost 1/3 of the money needed for digitalization to transform the rooms and the bar and dancefloor get a month's amount of cinema-cash into the register on one single good day...]. Potter 7/1 might also be the last movie being played on the last remaining screen :(.

20. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Harry Potter 7/1 as well.

Very sorry to hear about your favorite theater. We try not to go to the big screen kinda like an eff you to the rising costs of it; probably part of the reason you are losing your favorite theater though....We try to only go when it is a movie "worthy" of the IMAX expense.

HP7.1 was good though.