SoS: November 2021

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by IAmTheJody, Oct 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

SOD Tuesday November 9, 2021
    Ever wonder how many shaves in each tub or tube of Proraso? See below in the Lather report!
    I'm really liking these Silver Blue Blades!
    Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
    Bowl: Shave Nation
    Pre shave: None
    Lather: Proraso Blue (13)
    Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
    Face WTG-XTG-ATG
    Head WTG:XTG-ATG
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
    Razor: Gillette Styler
    Lotion: None
    Balm: Proraso Blue Dopobarba
    Have a great day!

IMG_8030.jpg

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Tuesday, November 9
    [​IMG]
    Crabtree & Evelyn~~Rubberset 400/3~~Leresche 51/Spoiler~~Vintage YSL M7
    Have a great day!

3. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

November 9th
    Occam's DE w PermaSharp (2)
    APShave Tuxedo/ '17 30DC LE
    Soap Commander Endurance
    Thayers
    Barrister's Reserve Spice
    Shulton OS Cologne
    asww.jpg
    Have a great day all!

4. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

8FD951AE-4726-437C-9CFB-8A401D10E594.jpeg
    B5334D3D-F676-4FF7-A9DE-BC1ADC3C2E48.jpeg
    SOTD TUESDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER 9, 2021

I enjoy a good mug shave with a replaceable blade Barber’s razor, although I do not enjoy those that are designed for a half DE blade. Up until yesterday, I shaved with a Feather DX or Tedalus Essence, both great shavers, however, many of my friends had been extolling the benefits of the Weck Sextoblade, introduced in 1909, and one of the first true replaceable blade razors. Well, two weeks ago after my second Manhattan, I jumped on EBay and saw a batch of four non-DE shavettes with an open bid of $8.50. The batch consisted of two Wecks, a Burmax ‘Aristocrat’ and a Durham Duplex. I put in my $8.50 and promptly forgot about it.

Until five days later, when I discovered that as the only bidder, I’d won. The seller threw in a pack of 5 Personna hairshaper blades for all but the Durham. I’ve ordered a three pack of blades for the Durham. I can always touch them up on the stones, if necessary. A number of my shave buddies really like the Sextoblade, and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Edward Weck emigrated from Solingen, Germany and opened his cutlery company showroom in 1890 in Manhattan, with manufacturing facilities in Brooklyn.

According to “Brownstoner”,
    “Weck invented the precursor of the multi-blade razor, and patented it in 1909. It was called the Weck Sextoblade. The “sex” in “sextoblade” for all those whose imaginations just woke up, meant “six.” Sorry. Weck’s razor came with six blades all attached at the base, able to be folded back into the handle and secured by a safety guard. Each blade could be extended when needed, and if all were stropped and sharpened at once, this razor could last a long time before the next sharpening. For its day, it was quite revolutionary.”

In 1917 he incorporated under the name ‘Edward Weck & Son’, finally passing away from heart disease in 1922. His son, Albert, moved the company into surgical instruments, made for both the military and medical community. The company continued until 1999 when it was acquired by Squibb. My shave was surprisingly good. My Sextoblade is in excellent condition being a salesman’s copy and delivered a superb two and a half pass shave leaving my mug quite smooth and shaving very much like one of my straights, shave-angle wise. I’ll have to try touching up the blade and stropping it before a future shave.

My dome shave couldn’t be anything other than excellent. The little Rooney Pure Badger brush, while at the very bottom of its hallowed company’s product line, always punches way above its weight class, as it did this morning generating the two types of MWF lather that makes always makes my shaves feel so incredible afterwards! The thicker, more yogurty, quite slick noggin lather was just the ticket for the two ATG passes with my Blackland Vector. I bought this razor right when they were first introduced, and feel it was probably one of the best wet shaving purchases I’ve ever made. It and my Colonial General always leave me velveteen smooth and smiling for the rest of the day as I continue to touch the amazingly smooth shave surfaces!

RAZOR: Weck Sextoblade (Mug), Blackland Vector (Dome)
    BLADE: Feather Super AC (Dome)
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: Rooney Ebony Finest Badger
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Thayers WH. Finished with Canoe Original AS Splash.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  5. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Razorock Mamba / Nacet blade
    Simpson T3
    B&M Bay Rum [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Tarmax SE Adjustable Razir
    Gem Stainless Blade
    Wontshed #3 Boar (restored) Brush
    Tabac Shave Soap
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Tabac After Shave
    Tabac Eau De Cologne

Untitled.jpg

7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I repeated today with Jeeves/Stephan. Can't say as it was a rubber-stamp from yesterday, as I had 3 red polkadots after the 2-pass shave. Red polkadot=Tiny Knick. Other than the 3, a very good shave all over. I can't emphasize enough how slow and careful I must go while doing North Porcupine(what did you call that area, the other day, @Trigger..fools area?) It's tricky, unless you just want to give up and grow a mustache. Not for me for the foreseeable future, if ever again. One thing that pleased me was the strength of the Stephan A.S. Right after the shave, my face and neck felt like it NEEDED aftershave-the Jeeves Bay Rum just wasn't enough. Man, did the Stephan calm and energize those areas. Course that's what a quality aftershave is for, right?

8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

ASRazor shave, Nov 9th 2021

Razor:
    Gem G bar, Mfg 1955-58 tame mid range, well built, different handle feel, does me well.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(3) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap: Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore, nice mild vanilla & tobacco scent with excellent lather qualities.(misted)
    Brush: Yaqi 24mm Timber wolf whiskers, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrub + excellent lather painter.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on my cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
    Post shave: Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing cream(balm) + scentless.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 weeper= [​IMG] excellent shave with my Gem G bar with a coated Gem blade.
    Brush collage, Nov 9, 2021 .jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  9. Thorsten69

Thorsten69 Well-Known Member

10. brit

brit in a box

awesome..:cool:

Tim Spencer and clint64 like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

thank you Jeff..:):eatdrink047:

clint64 likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

very classy Joseph.cool set up..:cool:

Primotenore and clint64 like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

absolutely fabulous set ups and pics gents..:cool::happy096::bounce017:

Ron R, Str8on2, jimjo1031 and 5 others like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

tech tuesday
    1940 u.s gold tech
    platinum
    Mr.EE #002
    pdp 63

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

For Wednesday, closing off the trifecta of:

prep-Dial 4 Men Bodywash(Infinite Fresh)
    shave-Jeeves of Hudson St. (Bay Rum)
    brush-Stoylin "li'l brudder"
    razor-Gillette Sensor Deuce Pivot DisposeABLE
    A.S.-Stephan Bay Rum

These fellas will be back, no doubt about that.

16. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Another fine, fine shave. And, to make it even better, the Old Spice came out quickly and I had an excess to spread on my clean, smooth face. :)

Hot water preparation
    Argan Oil PSO
    Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip Badger
    Castle Forbes 1445 Shaving Cream
    Mappin & Webb 11/16
    NOS Vintage Old Spice After Shave

808106EC-D4BF-4368-A934-A86F261B2E27.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl

17. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Jeff that's a great story! Love the presentation!

Paul D

jgreenepa and clint64 like this.
  18. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Thank you Gary!

clint64 and brit like this.
  19. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Gary your Tech Tuesday theme looks incredible!
    Paul D

clint64 and brit like this.
  20. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

clint64 and Paul Turner like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.