Any Peloton Users?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Queen of Blades, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    We picked up a barely used Bike+ about 2 months ago.

Still trying to get my seat adjustments right, but loving it so far. Today was my 39th ride.

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I see them advertised all the time. The look well made.
    If I'm not riding my mountain bike, I ride the gym bikes that automatically vary the resistance. They also have a video of different rides, towns, etc all over the world. It's entertaining, and it makes a 30+ min ride, 4-5 times a week go by easier.

3. Queen of Blades

Going to the gym just isn't something I've ever been motivated enough to do.

I've never been an exercise person. Now I ride everyday, along with strength and stretching. It has had a good influence on my blood sugar levels, too.

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Congrats on getting some saddle time. I don't have a Peloton or smart trainer, but I do have some rollers that I use on occasion when there is snow on the ground. Most years I finish between 2000 and 2500 miles on the bike.

I wish I could do better with stationary, but a lot of cycling to me is enjoying the surroundings (sometimes despite the weather) and the inside of my garage door just isnt scenic.

Enjoy riding. Even 30 minutes is enough to change my mood for the better.

This was Jim Thorpe, PA last week. Cold and past the leaf prime, but a great day out.
    Jt.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  5. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Nice! First thing I'd do is put a Brooks saddle on it. For my rear end (which isn't near the yearly 'iron mileage' as Dale), a leather saddle is da' beans comfortable once you get it positioned.

I've got two mountain bikes (usually more cruising no matter the surface) that share a Brooks Flyer S, a blue B17S for the road bike, and a black B17S for the road tandem. My wife also uses a B17S on the tandem, but we found a padded 'pleather' Diamondback seat she likes for her mountain bike.

FWIW, the S designation is for those 5' 8" or under (shorter saddle nose for shorter pelvic area/legs).

6. Queen of Blades

I do mostly scenic rides. It gives me the freedom of going at my pace. If Peloton came out with a VR for scenic rides I'd be ecstatic.

I would have gone with a treadmill but someone wanted a Peloton. Clipping in/out was a big hurdle for me at first, but I've finally got it.

Great info! Thanks!

battle.munky, Keithmax and PanChango like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I fully agree with the Brooks saddle. On my last bike I was being thrifty and purchased a beat Brooks B72 saddle and butcher and tied it for looks and to increase its support. My bike was a heavily modified GT. The Brooks may not look comfortable, but that is definitely not the case ...... they ride like a dream. Like anything you'll be spending time with, like walking or riding, pay for quality shoes or saddles.

:eatdrink013:

battle.munky and b1hart like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You would need an Occulus Quest 2 and a bike speed sensor attachment.
    And this app.
    https://virzoom.com/
    My wife really seems to enjoy her Occulus... on the rare occasions she uses it. I felt we should of waited to purchase it until the technology was a bit more mature, and there was more content available for it, but whatever...

The battery life is around 2 hours, but a lightweight portable battery pack and a long type C cable can extend that time by about 8 hours, if a person were so inclined.

Queen of Blades and battle.munky like this.
  9. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I'll throw in some support for the Brooks saddles as well. They say there is break in time needed but my was far more comfortable than my SMP I was riding. I got about a hundred miles on it and haven't ridden my bike since. I have had the bike fitted and still get numb wrists and shoulder cramps but at least my, uhm, sitting area(?) doesn't suffer anymore. The Brooks' hard leather is definitely counter-intuitive but I'm sold.

Glad you are liking your Peloton Jo. We went cheaper and opted for the Nordic Track version...it's ok but I wonder if we should've gotten the Peloton.

As for outside bikes, I'm on the cusp of gettin' a recumbent. I've test ridden a few and the comfort is without question.

Queen of Blades likes this.
  10. Queen of Blades

The Peleton isn't perfect. I can think of a bunch of ways they could improve it. It just feels good to be getting some exercise.
    I would have gone cheaper too. Way cheaper, but we did get a good deal off Craigslist ($1600 for a Bike+ barely used).

They do have showrooms so you can check it out.

battle.munky likes this.
  11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

If you are still getting numbness, then the fit isn't working as it should. It could be the length of the stem, height of the bars, or position of the saddle. Definitely a real issue that could cause some problems. I compressed nerves in both hands that took a couple months to mostly heal.

Regarding Brooks saddles, I have ridden them for years and still have a b17 on one of my bikes. Keep them dry, don't let them sag too much, and don't over tighten the bolt at the nose. Once they have gone too far, there isn't a good shot of getting it back.

PLANofMAN and battle.munky like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I couldn't figure out wht the girl in those ads kept saying "Come On Peletons!". Then when I realized Peleton the PRODUCT, I just said to myself "Ooooooh, well, why dincha make it easier to understand?" Course that's on ME.