November 2021 30 Day Rule/Focus and Discussion All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Oct 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Nov 18. SOTD

Good afternoon gents!

Straight Shave #311
    5/8 Wostenholm Full Hollow
    Omega Pro 49 Boar Brush
    Cella SS
    Old Spice AS
    Maggard's Alum Block
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Beard Growth: 22.5 hrs

20211118_162013.jpg

Usually my straight shaves last up to 36 hrs, however I needed to shave a lot sooner due to yesterday’s subpar shave by my standards.
    As I was facelathering in prepping for the first pass, I apparently hit my towel and it feel to floor along with the razor. Fortunately, I had the blade closed, but the tip of the scales with the pin broke off. It is just inconvenient for me because I have to get it rescaled.
    Here is a pic of this razor with the broken scales.

20211118_164256.jpg

However, I did shave with it and got a near BBS shave with 2 passes. Thankfully, I didn't cut myself and it was irritation free.
    Did my normal post shave routine ending with Old Spice.
    Have a nice evening.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    brit, Paul Turner and JACarbone like this.
  2. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Trigger

Nice Myles! I thought you would save that setup for an upcoming date!

JACarbone and myles wilson like this.
  4. myles wilson

Thanks Joe! I mean it could be used again if need be for another date. I’m just trying to get through this soap first so I can replace it with a puck of tabac or Taylor of old bond street tobacco leaf. Right now I’m debating between the two. First I’m trying to burn through some soap.

JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  5. myles wilson

Well done Joe! Sucks it broke on you! Other then that, well done with the cella. Good classic. You Gotta get you a bottle of some vintage old spice some time this holiday season. You’ll find you may enjoy it as much as me!

brit, JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  6. Trigger

Thanks Myles! I am not a happy camper, but hese things happen. I am going to get the razor professionally rescaled. I have it in a rolled up in a zip lock bag in my kitchen drawer. I am glad that I have many more straights in my den. I am not in a hurry to get it rescaled because the post is super busy this time of year. It will give me some time to look for someone to do it. I am considering Glen in Sandspoint Idaho to do it., but I will see. Take care.

myles wilson and JACarbone like this.
  7. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

FA5832C9-5D36-4B18-9A2B-F9D0225E254D.jpeg

DE Shave # 369

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Dollar Tree DE
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
    Brush: Ever Ready 200T
    Lather: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum (Stick)
    Aftershave: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
    Additional Care:
    Stirling Alum Block

Good morning gentlemen. I had a very nice three pass shave with the Dollar Tree (DT). Several months ago, we here had a discussion on this thread regarding the cheap Dollar Tree and Dollar General DE razors. For it’s price point, $1.99, it delivers an excellent shave rivaling the upper echelon razors presented here. It is a very light razor which you have to be mindful of when you embark on your shave. This should apply every time you take a razor to your face regardless of the tool selected. Remember, as many a wise wet shaver has stated before, “Technique trumps tools.”

I hope you all have a great day.

brit and Trigger like this.
  8. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Superb shave Paul.

Trigger likes this.
  9. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thanks Joe

Trigger likes this.
  10. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

You can not go wrong with Glen. He has recalled several of my razors. Some of which you have seen at our meet ups.

Trigger likes this.
  11. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Very nice Jeff

Trigger likes this.
  12. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Oops! Sorry about the scales. I am sure the blade delivered a great shave nonetheless.

Trigger likes this.
  13. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Very nice Myles

Trigger and myles wilson like this.
  14. myles wilson

Thank you Joe!

JACarbone likes this.
  15. Avalon

Avalon Active Member

Shave today:
    Pre: Hot Towel headwrap

Razor:
    https://www.westcoastshaving.com/co...ducts/wcs-multi-titanium-collection-razor-84m

Soap:
    Barbasol Classic

Blades:
    Personna Lab Blue

It's been a bit since I've checked in. Between the last time I wrote and now I took another run with the Van Der Hagen blades and tried out using an olive oil pre-shave, which didn't work well for me at all.
    I've been doing a grip strength work out for the past month that naturally has made it so that my hands felt like putty most of the time, and ended up letting my hair grow out for almost two weeks. So today's shave was more of a challenge than I'd have liked for trying out something new.
    I liked the Lab Blue blade muuuuuch better than the Der Hagen's, and I feel like somewhere during my shave today I finally really got the hang of the short strokes technique.
    Still far from the shave I'd really like to be getting, but I'm at least feeling the improvement!

brit, JACarbone, ewk and 1 other person like this.
  16. Trigger

Great shave Joe! Chris Bailey featured a shave with 28 cent razor from Yaqi not to long ago. He got a great shave, too. Your shave and his shave reinforces the mantra Technique Trumps Tools. Enjoy the day.

JACarbone and Paul Turner like this.
  17. Trigger

Thanks Joe. Yes it did. It still is sharp with 45 shaves after honing on films.

JACarbone likes this.
  18. Trigger

Hi Avalon! Glad your back posting. Van der Hagen blades were fine for me. You will find that different brands of blades work better than others. You just have to find the right ones for you. I have heard of using olive oil as a preshave, but I prefer it on my pasta with some bits of garlic. Have a good day!

JACarbone and Avalon like this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Bailey's the FINE man, right? or "Faaaaaane" :).

JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Everything was perfect for this morning's shave. 0:35 to load the Simpsons onto the brush. No extra loading time needed. 2 passes, each one done with no problems, no Knicks/cuts. The Safari(Ralph Lauren)A.S.went on real good again, but providing more of a "tingle"-showing that it is doing its job. I'm clean, fresh, smooth, and happy. Outta This World Excellent.

brit, JACarbone and Trigger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.