Score!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Old School, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    No negotiation really. Brush on a table next to the razor. I asked if it was $10 for the set or just the razor.
    He said "both", and I didn't even try to negotiate lol.
    I've never heard of Redleaf before, but it oozes quality. Any comments on it, them, appreciated.
    As for the Merkur, I thought it was a soap scummy handle, but appears the razor is pretty newish, and the handle is actually lacquered white in the recesses. It's brought nickel on the high points...idk if it's a normal finish, an option or what, but I'm digging it.
    Definitely a nice add to the collection. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sweet score!
    I have a Redleaf just like yours. My wife found it years ago at an antique mall and bought it for me. Nice little badger. I like it; never a complaint when it comes around in the rotation. Hasn't lost any hairs that I've noticed.

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy096:

Redleaf was made by Simpson shaving brush Co. I believe in the 50's and 60's.

:)

4. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Good to know, thanks gents! I almost feel guilty, well, not really...

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

5. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Update on the white wash that was posted on another board:
    From a quote of an email from Dovo on early slant handles:
    "These razors are silver plated and the white colour on the knurling is 'white-silver-plating'. This was a special process of electroplating and was popular at that time."

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

A Progress and a Butterscotch brush for $10.00, yeah, that is quite a nice steal! Bravo Sir!

7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That particular Progress may not be a higher end collectable for Progress razors but it is certainly worth more than $10.00. Good score.

8. brit

brit in a box

looks like a simpson..:)

Old School and HoosierTrooper like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

cool scores Mike..:cool:

HoosierTrooper and Old School like this.
  10. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I'm pretty pleased, thanks! My wife noticed her maiden initials (EH) are on the old logo... wonder what it stood for? The initials are gone, replaced with some linear design on the new packaging.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Enrico and brit like this.
  11. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Educate me. I'm no Merkur collector, but what's a more desirable Progress? I've got an old one, and a new one, and the old one to has a cool finish. What am I missing if I'd like to expand my Progress collection?

12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

With that style knob and lines between the number the rose gold plated ones are the more sought after ones because the finish. Same with the ones with bakelite base plates.
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/evolution-of-the-merkur-progress.55091/

brit and Old School like this.
  13. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I read through that entire thread, and didn't see a reference to a rose gold...I did see the gold gold with the bakelite baseplate.
    Scarcity aside, I still prefer the one I've found, never seen "white silver" before. For that reason alone is my favorite lol.
    I think a white bakelite base plate with white silver finish on the handle would be the bees knees ;)

Ijustmissedthe50s and cpool222 like this.
  14. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Nice!

Old School likes this.
  15. Avalon

Avalon Active Member

Very nice! That's quite a score :)

Old School likes this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

They made them in a gold finish with and without the bakelite base plates. According to my observations what drives the collector's market for them is how different they are visually from a modern Progress, the more it is the more likely someone will buy one in specific price ranges.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    brit likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm going to call B.S. on that one. The early Merker made Hoffritz slants had a similar coating, which was a Nickel plating with a phosphate layer, if I recall correctly.

A 60+ year old razor would be tarnished black by now if the plating was silver.

Just because the manufacturer says a thing, it does not necessarily make it true. No one from that time still works at Dovo/Merkur/Apollo.

brit likes this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I don't know what that whitish material was but it's god awful.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  19. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

Where?

brit likes this.
  20. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Flea market find.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.