SoS: November 2021

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by IAmTheJody, Oct 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burak Kucukler

Burak Kucukler Well-Known Member

2. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

BFE59B8C-E890-40B5-A6BE-6F45E9114CF1.png
    SOTD THANKSGIVING MORNING, NOVEMBER 25, 2021

Arrived in Las Vegas yesterday for Thanksgiving with the in-laws. After my great mug shave with the CV Heljestrand 4/8, it was time for another Swedish 4/8 foray, this time with the Edv. Neistrom #52 4/8. And no folks, it’s not a fluke! These little Swedish 4/8 razors punch way above their weight class. I think it’s the incredible nimbleness and maneuverability that I really like about these razors. They feel great in hand, and that Swedish silver steel holds a lovely edge. Two and a 1/2 passes sheared away all my mug stubble and left me very smooth.

Feather Safety Razor was allegedly started by two German WWI expatriots who stayed on in Japan after their release. Since non-Japanese were prohibited from owning property, their agent, a man named Toshio Kosaka represented the company. The company emulated the Gillette model with a focus on razor blades. After WWII the company’s share of the market dropped from a commanding 72% share to less than 5% in Japan. They dominate in Japan in DE blades and professional barber’s razors.

They were also one of, if not the first to offer a SS CNC manufactured safety razor in the AS-D1, to provide a platform for their hyper sharp Feather DE blade. Unfortunately, that initial model was a bit too protective and the razor failed to provide a truly close shave. Those initial design errors were remedied in the AS-D2 which is an immensely efficient shaver once the owner masters it’s rather narrow sweet spot, as it demonstrated in completing my noggin shave, leaving me velveteen smooth from dome to shoulders!

I wish all my shave brothers and sisters out there a glorious Thanksgiving! Don’t overeat too much!

RAZOR: Edv. Neistrom #52 4/8 (Mug), Feather AS-D2 (Dome)
    BLADE: Feather DE
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 with Boar Knot Ferrule
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys WH. Finished with Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme AS Balm.

3. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

4. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

November 25th
    Barbasol Floating Head w Astra SP (1)
    Stirling Finest/ Maple
    Soap Commander Endurance
    Thayers
    Avon Spicy
    Shulton OS Cologne
    aaswdfd.jpg
    From a Tech to a FH...vastly different tools, but in the end each are quality blade holders. The Barbasol produced very smooth results early this morning with no issues. The Endurance is doing its best to hang on, but is slowly being submitted.
    Have a great night all!

5. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Friday November 26, 2021
    Razor: Clarke's Improved King
    Blade: Gem
    Brush: Rubberset 400/Oumo Badger
    Soap: Sheep Fat Test Soap
    AS 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
    AS 2: CFG Ghost Town Barber
    Fragrance:
    Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 1,115

IMG_20211125_205024568_HDR.jpg

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sos211126.JPG
    Friday's Shave
    zcws.jpg

Cold Water Rinse
    Strop Shoppe Unscented Shave Soap
    Jayaruh 287 Synthetic
    Stoll Jr. Lather Catcher
    Personna GEM SS PTFE
    CWR
    Aqua Velva Musk AS

Day 26 of 3D Printed Razor Month

The Strop Shoppe Unscented Shave Soap lathered well with the Jayaruh 287 Synthetic Brush. Two passes and touch ups with the Stoll Jr. Lather Catcher Razor with a Personna GEM SS PTFE Blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse I finished off with Aqua Velva Musk AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

7. Avalon

Avalon Active Member

Very cool to hear the history with this one :)

jgreenepa, clint64 and Dave in KY like this.
  8. shaveman

shaveman Well-Known Member

Styletto Goodfellas Razor
    Feather
    Williams Mug Soap
    Maggard 2 Band
    Aloe Vera
    First Line Shave Aftershave
    Styletto Goodfellas.JPG

9. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

November 26th
    Razor: RR GC68-P
    Blade: Polsilver SI (1)
    Brush: PAA Peregrino
    Pre-shave: PAA Cube
    Soap: PAA Mega Flora
    Stirling Unscented Witch Hazel
    PAA Star Jelly
    AS: PAA Mega Flora

Good morning!

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jim99, Avalon, MrDaniel's and 14 others like this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Friday, November 26
    [​IMG]
    MWF~~Culmak 92~~Dovo~~Nasomatto Baraonda
    Have a great day!

11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

November 26, 2021
    Pearl Flexi
    Feather
    PAA ShaveRite 210 with Maggard Mixed Knot
    Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    Fine L’Orange Noir
    Terre D’Hermes EdT

[​IMG]

12. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Even Aqua Velva Ice Blue seems to be differently scented now but it’s still nice enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Friday morning’s Grand Freeze:

Stirling Mentholated Pre Shave Soap
    Yaqi 30mm Barber Pole
    Super Speed/Minora day 3
    MSC Frosted Spearmint SS
    Stirling Glacial Spearmint ASB
    MSC Frosted Spearmint AS Spray
    Old Spice Classic Cologne

Ahhhhhhhh, does that menthol sensation ever feel great - the Frosted Spearmint soap has such a beautiful scent that fills my bathroom, it lathers superbly, it’s got plenty of iciness to it, and the skincare is perfect. The Glacial Spearmint balm from Stirling smells exactly like Fernando’s version, it’s plenty frigid also, and it’s so moisturizing as well as soothing. The Frosted Spearmint aftershave is a bona fide menthol atom bomb with a wonderful soothing feeling. Finally a little Old Spice cologne and I’m good to go. What a brilliant BBS shave this was!

Have a great weekend - be well and safe!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Right, I guess back in those early days the scents were a bit different.

clint64 and Ron R like this.
  15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

How do you compare "New Spice" to Doc Ezlovan's version?

clint64 and Ron R like this.
  16. jgreenepa

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!

Avalon, Smooth Steve and clint64 like this.
  17. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Gillette Fatboy / Sputnik blade
    Heritage Eveready 500E / Synthetic
    Fine Accoutrements / Snake Bite [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

18. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

SOD Friday November 26, 2021
    Ever wonder how many shaves in each tub or tube of Proraso? See below in the Lather report!
    Just used the Red Balm for the first time. Excellent scent!
    Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
    Bowl: Shave Nation
    Pre shave: None
    Lather: Proraso Red (71)
    Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
    Face WTG-XTG-ATG
    Head WTG:XTG-ATG
    Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum (1)
    Razor: Gillette Styler
    Lotion: None
    Balm: Proraso Red Dopobarba
    Have a great day!
    IMG_8215.jpg

19. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Nov26th 2021

Razor: Yaqi V2 Excalibur AC 50mm, Mfg 2021> excellent tame mid range, good design, top cap needs manually alignment because of issues from some V1 Excalibur(no problems with my V1). I get great shaves mostly & excellent shave results is the bottom line.
    Blade: Schick proline P30 injector (3) sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity. Great AC blade compared to the rest IMO.
    Soap: Ach Brito Lavanda cream, nice mild lavender scent, excellent lather qualities,(misted)
    Brush: Yaqi Artic sky 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, great scrubber, excellent lather painter.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
    Post shave: Ach Brito Lavada AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(Balm) + scentless.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers= [​IMG] excellent shave with Yaqi V2 Excalibur with a Schick P30 proline.
    SOTD, Nov 26, 2021.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Have some great shaves!

20. jgreenepa

279B69BB-5392-4BBD-B8B9-F0DF9C9ABC9B.png
    E47B91E3-C05B-4370-9CF3-8B7124AE5EA7.png
    SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER 26, 2021

According to the John Hawley Trust, “Henry Hobson (1823-1897) was born in Sheffield, the son of Edward Hobson and his wife, Hannah. In 1842, Henry married Ann, the only daughter of John Pearce, a cutlery dealer and razor manufacturer on Angel Street in Sheffield. Hobson became Pearce’s manager, but in 1845 launched his own cutlery dealership with his younger brother John B. Hobson. However, in 1852 Henry and John dissolved Hobson Bros, and henceforth Henry operated alone and founded his own cutlery company, H. Hobson, that stayed in his family through the next two generations and lasted until 1930. “ Henry Hobson Sr., the founder, died at Ilkley, Yorkshire, on 29 July 1897, aged 74.

This full H. Hobson wedge holds a great edge, but requires three layers of tape to hone and maintain the proper bevel angle. Coming off that great little Neistrom 4/8 mug shave yesterday, this full wedge did feel a bit less maneuverable. I was still able to complete two great scything passes on the troublesome, swirling neck stubble on either side of the Adam’s Apple, and with some final flatblading to smooth things out nicely. My preference in razor grinds are hollow and rattler grinds, but this old wedge delivered the goods, leaving my mug dolphin smooth, as a Scot shaving buddy is fond of saying.

In 1935 the French company Leresche (of Swiss origins) listed their patent application for the #77 razor. This 4 piece razor has a unique guard bar (like shark jaws) which is incorporated into the upper cap of the head. The head is also slightly wider than a typical razor's head allowing the shave angle to be found more easily. The design locks the blade in tight, making for a highly efficient shave. Originally these razors were silver plated and weigh almost 70 grams. I find the Leresche #77 razor to be both smoother and more efficient than my 2011 Muhle R41. Two ATG passes left me porcelain smooth from dome to shoulders.

RAZOR: H. Hobson Full Wedge 6/8 (Mug), Leresche 77 (Dome)
    BLADE: Wilkinson Sword DE
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: Rooney Ebony Pure Badger
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme AS Balm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.