Essence by Tedalus

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by ischiapp, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Manumik

Manumik Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for those nice words! I'm so happy to hear that you find so much joy in your Essence razor!
    That was exactly the idea behind it. To create a Shavette that feels like a straight razor :).

2. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

it does feel like a straight to me, those who are into custom or high end razors will find the price very reasonable as you get a lot in return with the Essence. And since you don't need a strop or stones it's in fact rather cheap :)

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I about shot soda out my nose when I read that.

It's a near ideal starter razor for a shavette user, add in that it works well with a variety of blades, and certainly would make a fantastic Christmas gift.

Compared to a Gillette Fusion 5 system, break even would probably occur in 12-15 years. I see no reason why the Essence wouldn't last a century or longer. Yes... very economical. :p

Edit: No denying the bang for buck. Comparable DE razors made from the same steel are north of $500. Every inch of the Essence is a show piece.

Keithmax, snuff and Manumik like this.
  4. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

there is now a rubber inlay for those that complained about the blade touching the back of the handle (never had a issue with it myself, btw there is now a Black Friday 20% off code BLACKFRIDAY20)

I won't use it as I like the look of the closed razor better without (certainly when the stand arrives shortly) but I've installed it so you can see
    Easiest way is lay the razor in open position on it's back, push the rubber peace slightly in above the right position and then just close the razor (without a blade in it), that way the piece will automatically be pushed to the right place.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    "Installed it so we can see" implies some sort of photographic accompaniment. :)

The only people that had an issue with it, as far as I know, were the ones using it as an excuse not to buy one. Good that it has been done, though. It removes the only real flaw (minor as it was) the razor had.

Edit: 20% off is a good deal.

Keithmax likes this.
  6. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PLANofMAN likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    That's far less intrusive than I imagined.

snuff likes this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I’ve tried many shavettes and settled on the Feather DX as it gave the closest shave to a traditional straight. The Essence gives a shave even closer to the feeling of a traditional straight than the DX. It’s also easier to load and the fit and finish are superior. All hail the new king.

madmedic, PLANofMAN and snuff like this.
  9. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

the stand for the Tedalus Essence shavette is on it's way to my home :cool:

[​IMG]

PLANofMAN likes this.
  10. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

News.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Keithmax and PLANofMAN like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    To add the little I know, this is a limited run of 33 razors.

12. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

The blade holder is perhaps a little 'busy' for me....I am happy with the original!

PLANofMAN and ischiapp like this.
  13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

May I join? I received this from @PLANofMAN a VERY generous gift. All set for tonight’s shave. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PLANofMAN and madmedic like this.
  14. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Wow......Enjoy!

twhite likes this.
  15. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I will. I tried one on a pass around a year ago. It was a very nice shave.

PLANofMAN and madmedic like this.