Rolls Razor - give em some love!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Old School, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Sporadic info around on these nifty shavers... So I wanted to add some reference and visual aid.
    I found a Viscount for $5 the other day in an antique store and jumped on it.
    It was dull like an old Rubberset 400 brush, and felt very light to what I expected when I picked it up.
    No before pic of it (sorry), but it shined right up.
    I've now got an imperial 2, regular and aluminum (I believe) viscount.

Here they are on the digital scale, and yesterday's SOTD pic to go with.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If a good set is found, it's arguably the best razor for lifelong use...efficient, self-contained, and fun to use.

PLANofMAN and Hodge like this.
  3. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Agreed. Self contained, idiot proof hone and strop, essentially a straight on a stick! I've got two NOS blades in the paper wrappers in bakelite cases as well...still have machine oil on them.
    Certainly will last many, many lifetimes. I hear the aluminum one's are scarce and more valuable...meaning worth $15 instead of $5 lol! Glad I got it for $5 :).

Hodge likes this.
  4. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

I've always been afraid to use mine. I'd guess that you need to get the angle just right?

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It's much easier than you think. ;)

cpool222 likes this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You want to go down that shaving rabbit hole next up are Darwin single edge sets.

7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I so wanted to like mine and wedge blade razors in the main but could never get the blades sharp as a modern DE or single edge blade that I never did use them regularly.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.