Pass-Around, Essence by Tedalus Edition

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by PLANofMAN, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

[​IMG]
    Last shave with the Essence by Tedelus.

Essence by Tedelus
    Feather Professional (2)
    MrEE LE #011 brush handle with Dscosmetics synthetic knot.
    Abbate Y La Mantia Volcano shave soap.
    Cremo Bourbon and Oak EdT

Awesome lather this morning and I love the peppery scent of the Abbate Y La Mantia shave soap.

I have really enjoyed the Essence razor. It is a joy to drive and feels great in the hand. I completed three passes on the neck and two on the cheeks. It was a no drama Sunday shave.

So would I own an Essence? I think I would like to but it is hard for me to justify the price. I'm proud for anyone who owns one and they own a very nice tool. I appreciate Ryan @PLANofMAN giving me this opportunity to try this baby out. Joe @JACarbone is next on the list and the razor will be on its way to him tomorrow.

I hope everyone has a great day

2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@Hembree it’s nice that you have enjoyed it so much. Though it wasn’t right for me, I am also grateful for the chance to try it, as it introduced me to the idea of trying shavettes. I am now the proud owner of 3 different Kamisori style shavettes and loving the close shaves they give me.

I hope Joe gets good shaves with the Essence, as you have.

3. Hembree

Thanks Sara.

I'm glad the Essence started your shavette journey. I have enjoyed it but I think I enjoy hearing others impressions just as much as shaving with it.

Joe is an experienced straight shaver so his response will be very interesting.

I like the Kamisori styles as well.

Take care.

Edison Carter and Sara-s like this.
  4. Hembree

The box is on its way to Joe @JACarbone and Joe has the tracking number.

It should be there by Thursday.

5. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

F0F50702-4E3A-4962-BB1F-53506DD69A78.jpeg
    First shave with the Essence. Friday, August 13
    Shavette # 140

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Tedalus Essence
    Blade: Feather AC Professional
    Brush: Leo Frilot ECWS 2018 Ghost Trails
    Lather: Uncle Jon’s Gravity (1508.5 Project)
    Aftershave: PAA Chella Cool
    Additional Care:
    Stirling Alum Block
    Thayer’s Witch Hazel - Original
    Nivea Cool Balm

My initial impression with the Essence is wow, such beautiful craftsmanship and well balanced. I did my usual three pass shave with it this morning. I easily could have been satisfied with just one pass using the Feather AC Pro. The three passes left my face very smooth with just a minor report from the alum. The jury is still out on whether the closeness obtained with the Essence rivals some of my sharpest straights and the MMOC and MMBT.

Regarding the losing of the blade, I required a few attempts to get the blade positioned just right. It is definitely an ingenious design incorporating magnets to keep the blade and blade head together. No need to worry about any possible micro movements of the blade while shaving. I am looking forward to one more shave with the feather blade before moving on to a DE or an Injector blade.

Attached Files:

Manumik, Hembree, Dave in KY and 4 others like this.
  6. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

2D09C6BA-0904-4B47-8ED1-BA8183AF41A7.jpeg

View attachment 257139

Shavette Shave # 143

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Tedalus Essence
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
    Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T2 Sovereign Synthetic
    Lather: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
    Aftershave: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
    Additional Care:l
    Stirling Alum Block
    Nivea Cool Balm
    Thayer’s Witch Hazel - Original

Today I went back to the Tedalus Essence. I removed the Feather and load a half GSB blade. I was curious to see if the DE would out perform the Feather. The verdict goes to the GSB.
    I did my customary three pass shave. The Simpson Trafalgar easily whipped up the PAA Bay Rum soap. Appropriate for National Bay Rum Day.
    The Tedalus Essence is a pleasure to hold and maneuver around the face. I received an extremely close and comfortable shave without any incidents or delayed crimson weepers.

Hope you have a great day gentlemen.

Manumik, Hembree, PLANofMAN and 3 others like this.
  7. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

Stand for the Essence Tedalus shavette

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keithmax, Manumik and Hembree like this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That’s a handsome stand.

Hembree and Manumik like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

No clove scent in that Bay Rum right?

Hembree likes this.
  10. SterFry

SterFry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous razor. And of you fellas that have used it ever used and of the Artist Clubs? I'm curious how they compare.

11. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

I have used all artist club razors (RG, DX, SS versions in kamisori and folding style). Personally I very much prefer the Essence Tedalus.

Keithmax and SterFry like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The Artist Clubs are faster to load. That's about the only spot they outperform, imo.

There's a guy on another forum that prefers the DX over the Essence, by a slim margin.

@snuff I think you've tried just about every style of shavette there is. :)

Hembree, SterFry and Tjebbe like this.
  13. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

I have tried over 30 different ones but last year sold most of them, I keep reaching for the Tedalus over and over again, even my straights are getting lonely. Where I used to own lots of shaving stuff I’ve decided to only keep that what always gives me the best experiences. Down to a few straights, 2 shavettes, 4 DE’s and a few pounds of blades

Keithmax, PLANofMAN and Hembree like this.