cheap safety razor thread

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Dec 12, 2021.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

This one is for the thrifty and bargain hunters. Post links to bargains or show off your cheap razors you've used.

I define cheap in this case as $10.99 USD or less before sales tax.

Still the most available and cheapest option for most in the US is Assured DE razor sold at Dollar Tree for $1
    https://www.dollartree.com/assured-double-edge-safety-razors-with-5-blades/269383

The next low priced brick and mortar option is the Shavely razor at $7 sold at Dollar General.
    https://www.dollargeneral.com/produ...-s-men-s-double-edge-safety-razor-handle.html

There are also plenty of $10 and under options on ebay and amazon. Too many to list but easy to search out using the price range option. Alibaba is also another good place to hunt for cheap razors.

Honorable mention since Gillette is still a major brand are the Gillette 7 o'clock DE rqzors which can be bought on ebay for between $5 and $7 before tax with free shipping.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    Ijustmissedthe50s, Ron R and brit like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I own and have used the Assured DE razor and at least in my case the razor was in good working order out of package. It was an okay shave for me. I prefer much more aggressive razors but it got the job done and can be a gateway razor into DE shaving with good blades.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  3. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

I am a fan of the Snmirn. Even though it looks a little like the Merkur Futur, it is a very comfortable and mild razor, even opened all the way up. I like the magnetic top cap. A very usable adjustable razor for under $10. Astounding.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BNGF2RZ/?tag=thshde-20

Another favorite, the Gillette Super Blue on Aliexpress is usually priced at or below $1. I think this is the same as the 7 O'Clock razor.

Daywalker, Ijustmissedthe50s and BBS like this.
  4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

the Lord L6 can be found under $10 right now and I think it deserves to be on the list.

5. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

On Amazon it typically sells for around $15, which is a great deal, and elsewhere I see it selling for under $8 with free delivery, so it meets your $10.99 threshold.
    The Qshave, which is the Chinese clone of the Merkur Futur, is an excellent DE adjustable. I have both the original and the clone and I cannot tell the difference except for the finish - I like the black finish on the Qshave better. I have seen several reviews that claim the Futur weighs more, has better tolerances, or uses higher quality materials - I can only say I have not found this to be the case. The important difference I notice most dramatically is price.

6. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I see the adjustments go up to 8 where the Qshave/Futur only goes to 6. I've decided to hold out until I find one that goes to 11.

7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I'd also add cheap applies to vintage razors here.

Unfortunately I don't have the razor anymore but I bought a Gillette Slim Adjustable that I used on and off for years for $7 at a junk shop. Also have bought and since sold a few Gillette Techs for under $10.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

If I was in the market for any more DE razors this is one I'd definitely try out.

Those Aliexpress razors the handles are similar but not exactly the same as the Gillette razors though. They may shave the same when all is said and done but I don't know.

9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Also on vintage it is worth noting you can still find on a regular basis various Gem single edge razors including Micromatic razors on ebay for $10 or less before tax and shipping. It is not like there is much in the way of modern offerings and the few that are available are not cheap. Vintage Gem razors are by far the best entry way into single edge shaving still.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  10. Spang

Spang Member

The Rimei A2001 is a decent shaving razor for around $5. When it first appeared in the US market several years ago, I purchased a couple when it was selling for $3. But it has become hard to find here, and currently seems to only be available from Chinese sellers. With the time and shipping costs involved in sourcing it from China, I couldn't really recommend seeking it out, but if you do happen to find one, by all means don't use the blade it comes with!

Much better is the RazoRock DE-1 for $7.99. It is a Tech clone that I will say, at the risk of heresy, actually shaves better than a Tech. If you appreciate milder razors, you need one. Or maybe two; it's only 8 bucks.

Daywalker and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  11. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I don't like calling them cheap if they're of good quality, but inexpensive. It was retail-priced at $14.99 when I bought it at Target years ago, but my Van der Hagen (aka rebranded Weishi 9306c) is a solid one-piece that delivers decent enough shaves and serves as a great travel razor, or for shavers with fine whiskers or sensitive skin. Best blades to use with it are Feather and Astra Superior Platinum. I recommend against using Dorco Prime Platinum or Feather, however, because such blades are way too sharp for beginners and beginner-to-intermediate guys like me. But Astra SPs and I'm pretty sure the new Platinum Strangelets from P.A.A. would work quite well in the Weishi 9306 and its long-handled sibling.

12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the Shavely they sell at Dollar General is the same razor from the looks of it.

Michael_W likes this.
  13. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

You might be right. Weishi razors are deservedly popular enough that dozens of companies around the world sell rebranded batches.

14. Daywalker

Daywalker Active Member

The Weishi is my daily driver and I love to pair it with the cheapo Gillette Wilkinson (the Indian saloon pack, not the Chinese version).
    I also just received a cheapo boar brush from AE for 4 bucks 2 days ago - put it in the mug with cold water after loading some Arko and placed it in the fridge over night to break it in - used it yesterday and was not disappointed. I will order another one. I'm just such a cheap guy.

15. Daywalker

Daywalker Active Member

Nope, sorry they don't look the same. The knob is much longer and the knurling doesn't look as deep.

The Weishi is around 8 bucks on AE - not bad for a tto razor with brass handle . If it's cheaper than that, it's most likeley an even cheaper knock-off like the Azure (I think a MingShi or YingJiLi).
    Btw the Qshave Futur clone is a rebranded MingShi 2000s

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

What do Feather Populars go for nowadays? Very mild but decent razors, especially when paired with Feather blades.

I used a Gillette Slim Twist for years; they can be found cheap second hand as well.

17. orangeman

orangeman New Member

Feather Popular is a great razor. 7 years in and not a thing wrong with it. Theyre around 20$US now. Wouldnt hesitate a second in recommending them.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.