January 2022 30 Day Rule/Focus and Discussion. All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Dec 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Great shave, Joe! Enjoy your scale-making!

JACarbone, Trigger and brit like this.
  2. jgreenepa

Thanks, Joe!

3. jgreenepa

Sorry to hear about the DX mishap, Eric. The key is lightness of touch. If and when you decide to take another swing, don’t think about shaving your skin. Imagine you are just scooping away the lather without touching your skin. That’s what worked for me when I was getting started. Sounds like you were going WTG. I would just focus on the cheeks to start! Enjoy your shaves. I personally think it’s less hazardous to start with a well-honed straight instead of a shavette. Enjoy your shaves.

4. jgreenepa

Sounds like the new job is going well! Great Crat shave and pics!

5. jgreenepa

Can’t beat a Karve shave! Enjoy your shaves, Eric.

6. brit

brit in a box

thank you Jeff.so far so good..:):eatdrink047:

JACarbone, jgreenepa and Trigger like this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Leresche 77/Kai (two stacked), TJs cream.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

8. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

That's truly a beautiful razor and a great shave Joe! I was going to set my next shave for tomorrow (Sunday) with Cella, but opted with Stirling Spice. Can you blame me? Lol! I just came from the gym and brunch at my favorite bagel shop. Man, has it been cold the last couple of days. 57 more days until Spring! Enjoy your afternoon.

JACarbone, jgreenepa and brit like this.
  9. Trigger

I am sorry that you had trouble with the shavette, but don't give up Eric. The conventional wisdom is just to do the cheeks in the beginning and not do a full face shave. The reason to do just the cheeks is that it is a nice flat surface without contours so it is easy to shave it and then use your favorite safety razor to finish the shave. Do this for a number of shaves so that you get acquainted with the razor as far as touch, angle and light pressure. What happens with new open blade shavers is that they drop the razor to make a steeper angle beyond the spine width or they land the razor's edge to steep and not flush against the face and that is what causes cuts, etc. Anyway, once you feel comfortable with just doing the cheeks, then move onto the neck so that you are just doing cheek and neck with the grain for a few shaves and finish with your safety razors. Move on to the chin area and then the moustache area so that you are doing a full pass. Starting at check and incremently getting to a full pass with the grain should take two weeks. I know this sounds like it is a long process, but it is worth it. After you feel comfortable doing a 1 pass shave with the shavette, then you could start doing the same process on your second pass which you would make a choice of against or across the grain. Just do only the checks a few times and then move on to neck, etc.
    Also, thank you for the shout out and I am glad that it spurred you on to start shavette shaving. I have 664 open blade shaves under my belt so it should look easy, but when I started, I didn't have as much confidence and my technique was no where near where it is now. In my wildest dreams, I never thought that I would be using a straight razor or a shavette because I am kind of a klutz. So if I can straight shave, then you can do it also. Don't be discouraged, just take it slow and easy. Shavette shaving is more difficult than using a traditional straight razor because the edge is much more sharper and more unforgiving. Once you get consistent fine shaves on a shavette, then you can shave with anything. I know because I first learned on a Dovo shavette. Take care.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  10. Trigger

Thanks Gary!

11. Trigger

You deserve to kick back after your first week of work. Great shave Gary! Enjoy your Saturday.

12. Trigger

Thanks Jeff!

13. Trigger

Terrific setup Eric!

14. brit

brit in a box

thank you Joe.was a good week.:):eatdrink047:

JACarbone, Trigger and jgreenepa like this.
  15. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

:signs001: Joe... My eclectic combinations of software work superbly for me.;)....Have a great weekend too.

16. jgreenepa

I’ve never stacked blades in my 77. The shave is already great! Do you find it makes much of a difference?

JACarbone, brit and Trigger like this.
  17. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

Thank you very much Joe. I did not get past the cheek. Within the first two strokes there were two cuts. I clearly had my expectations too high. After I let this sit for a while, when I come back to it, I will have MUCH lower expectations. I am clearly not using light enough of a touch. @jgreenepa suggested above to only focus on removing lather, not shaving. I will certainly keep that in mind after a little break. Thank you all for your help.

JACarbone, brit, MaineYooper and 2 others like this.
  18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Thank you Jeff....glad I closed out the Ouds in nice form.

19. Trigger

We are here for you. A year from now, you will look back and be amazed at how far you came.

ewk, JACarbone, brit and 1 other person like this.
  20. SRQShaver

SRQShaver Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I have had the same experience with the Parker when compared to my other injectors. It's not a bad shave per se but it's very mild and opening the gap only increases the chance of a nick without really increasing the efficiency. Also, I have NOT been chosen by the Veg lol.

Great video Joe! I appreciate you taking the time to explain what you're doing and why. I'm not quite ready to try but I'm thinking it will be sooner rather than later.

Well, that's not good. I am hoping I can make it work for me but I won't be surprised if I struggle like you are. With all the excellent choices in shaving I'm not really sure it matters that much to use an open blade razor. I do want to try it but I'm not expecting to be a convert.

JACarbone, brit, jgreenepa and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.